My chaffle-not-chaffle, updated

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #1

I have been doing chaffles for some time, and now I have stabilized with one recipe:

30g of chia, 30g of milk added to the chia, 30g of a mixture of crushed walnut/hazelnut/almond, an egg (about 58g), about 25g of psyllium husk, salt, olive oil, and then, some species (I alternate among tikka masala powder, curcuma & black pepper, ginger, oregano …). I do not add cheese (only milk), so this is a chaffle-not-chaffle. I do not add any thickener, as other recipes do.

This recipe results in 2 chaffles, if I spread well the product.

For me, the critical issue is to leave the chaffle for a long time in the machine, say 25 minutes or even more. This results in a chaffle with the consistency of a cracker.

I think that when the chaffle is left less time, it is a bit tender and flexible, and this texture is not as good as bread. But instead, as a cracker, the chaffle is as good, or better, than a good quality cracker.

I eat 2 per day.

Interesting. Never thought to leave the batter that long, in the maker…
Thanks for this tidbit.

('Jackie P') #3

Sounds delicious! Do you use chia seeds or milled chia?

(Archie Peters) #4

I don’t have a waffle maker - can it be made like a pancake in a pan?

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #5

Chia seeds directly.

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #6

Please try and you can let us know.

(Archie Peters) #7

Well - a kind of success.

I used 30g almond meal instead of the crushed nuts etc you mentioned. I had to add heaps more milk (obviously increasing the carb content)- when I say heaps, probably another full cup in all.

I halved it and put the first half in a buttered pan - it was quite think and stodgy. It did cook ok but still had a gludgy consistency.

The second half I thinned with more milk and it made a thinner pancake and was quite pleasant.

More experimentation to follow!

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #8

Just before mixing all the ingredients, it seems as if the indicated amount of milk will not be enough. However, when I mix thoroughly, in the end I have a mixture which is not composed of powder. Of course, it is not as “liquid” as other chaffle recipes, and you can still see the powder somewhere. But enough to put it into the maker. And it is this consistency (as little liquid as possible) plus a long time in the maker, the key which results in a wonderful cracker.