My Blood Glucose Meter

(Athena) #1

I bought xylitol yesterday because after all of my research I heard it tasted really good, it might not raise blood sugar, and I wanted to make chocolate mousse. So today I tried testing it. I tested at 11:15 before eating a teaspoon of xylitol and my blood sugar was 95. After xylitol, at 11:45 my blood sugar measured 105. I thought, hmm, maybe I should double check…and I got a different number: 75! So I tried a third time and got 94.

Is something wrong with my meter?

(Bacon, Not Stirred) #2

Sounds to me like yes, in fact, there is. Now, I’m not a meter expert. I would, however, think that given the amount of different readings, there is something wonky in meter-town.

How about trying a strip from another batch, if you have one?

See @EZB’s excellent information here regarding the permitted variability in glucometers.

(Athena) #4

Thank you @PrimalBrian. Now it all makes sense and also how irritating. I’ve wasted all that time taking my blood sugar.

I found this article on the comparative accuracy of some meters, which resulted in my buying the top rated one, since its accuracy is pretty good, and the cost of the strips is also very good: