My 1st Cheesecake? ... Well, sort-of

(Terence Dean) #121

Thanks Dave, Well I can’t claim victory yet because my wife did it all with me screaming instructions in the background (yeah I know the kitchen is not my favourite work environment). I think we’ll try letting the cream cheese soften for a bit longer next time, the packaging recommends 1 hour at room temperature or micro waving for 30 secs. It was pretty lumpy for a bit there and a lot stuck to the sides of the bowl, so had to stop the mixer to push it down into the center.

So yeah it turned out ok we had a bit of filling left over because we didn’t get the crust up high enough but I suppose that will improve with practice. I’m already thinking about how I can make a mold to make the crust easier to form.

No it didn’t rise at all the level you can see is exactly where it was when I put it in the oven. The surface stayed smooth, no sign of cracking or wrinkling. I’m wondering whether the absence of Cream of Tartar kept it from rising? Cooking time was 48 minutes before removal from oven.

Not a problem. If you find the center stays a bit soft, or doesn’t tighten up as much, you may need to cook it a bit longer next time. you want to see the sides coming up some and light cracking starting to form around the cake edge. The outer 1/2 to 1 inch area or so. And you may start seeing some browning of the top, but I don’t always see this myself? Sometimes it does though. … And for the mix, yeah, it can be a little bit of a pain sometimes. I let mine sit out for 30 minutes because I want it to soften some, but I don’t like it when the mix is very runny. I prefer keeping it thicker, which I think also helps the cake become creamier too.

Each oven is different, and baking times on convections also changes things. It’s supposed to cook in 3/4 of the time of conventional oven temps, without the fan. But the last 2 or 3 I’ve had, all have cooked differently and I’ve had to adjust cooking times each time. … I would guess that the cooking time was more of the cause of the lack of rising, then the COT. Even if you didn’t have it in there, the cake would eventually rise because it’s egg based, so you might have pulled it out a little early? - The biggest thing is that is sets up, but believe me, I’ve had some that didn’t tighten up for me in my first years of doing them. (One time I had an oven die during the cooking, which I didn’t realize, and simply took the cake out at it’s regular time. … Didn’t find out until it was being cut into, that the center didn’t set much at all. Sort-of drooped like the center was pudding instead. But not one person complained, saying ‘Still taste fine to me!’ Haha… :slight_smile: Let me know how it is when you cut into it.

(Terence Dean) #123

Yes you’re right I’ll have to wait until I cut it before I know what happened to the center. I’ll leave it in the fridge for at least another day, and then try it. Our oven is a convection oven with fan. My wife has been eating the small cheese cakes we made from the extra filling and she likes it. I’m holding out for the big one. I’ll let you know how that turns out.

Could be just fine. You may have pulled it out just minutes before it started to rise. But you actually want it to rise and start working it’s way toward the center. This is when the slight cracking forms. … Most say the center of the cake shouldn’t jiggle, but believe me, they all jiggle while still hot, so you will see it tighten up once it sets.

And yep, doesn’t matter if it’s slightly under-cooked or over cooked. The taste is always a good one! Glad your wife liked it. Just wait until you slice into it… :smile: … Don’t forget to try freezing a piece for a Ice Cream treat. I’ve actually set a piece in the freezer for 3 or 4 hours, and it’s quite nice. Or if you freeze it all the way, just let it set out for a little bit until it just starts to soften. (If you like Ice Cream that is)

(Jane) #125

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou for this thread!

Both mini cheesecakes were so GOOD!

The lemon one tasted a lot like lemon meringue pie… For the 4” mini springform I added 2 Tbl fresh lemon juice and 2 Tbl (extra) erythritol to offset the lemon juice. Perfect!

And the spice one was very good, too. My favorite cake is spice cake and my husband used to make it for me every year on my birthday. With cream cheese frosting. Now I have a nice substitute I can enjoy guilt-free :smiley:

@Janie, Great! And good to know about how much lemon to add to the cheesecake. I may try one in a few weeks.

(Jane) #127

Keep in mind this was 1/3 the original recipe for a 4” pan. I actually made 2/3 using 2 bars of cream cheese and then split it up between 2 bowls so I could make the other a spice cheesecake.

Quite welcome. Glad to hear all came out well. And yep, Spice cake has always been a favorite for a lot of folks. … And if you haven’t tried it, the Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake is something as well! :smile:

I remember being asked so many times if I made them, but I wasn’t never big on Pumpkin so hadn’t. But when I finally got around to making one, it was pretty good indeed. :slight_smile:

(Brian) #129

Well Dave I did an experiment today. Kind of a hybrid. I used my crust recipe and your filling recipe but added blueberries! I layered the cake in 1/2 cup increments then scoops of blueberry purée and swirled it around with a skewer. Making a tyedye effect! Came out really good looking. I’m planning to take it to a company party for us Keto people to eat for dessert. There is 4-5 of us at work that are strict Keto. Party is on Thursday so I’m letting it set up in the fridge until then! Taking your 3 day recommendation. I’ll snap a pic of it before we devour it!

Please do! Sounds like it should come out great! … Look forward to seeing the image. :slight_smile:

(Terence Dean) #131

Well here it is Dave, perfect in the middle, smooth and creamy just like you said. Man this is the best cheese cake I’ve had mate, your recipe is exceptional. When’s the book coming out!

Looks delicious!

(Jane) #133

I’d buy it just to support you!!!

Wow, nice presentation! :slight_smile: … Damn, that looks good. My only fasting around that, would be eating speed! :smile:

Well done!

(Terence Dean) #135

All credit to you Dave, we’re just your cheese cake disciples. :rofl:

After eating this I have realized that I don’t need to make a raspberry version, this vanilla version is just the right taste, adding fruit or whatever topping you like enhances it, sort of adding fruit or sweetness to taste. Tastes better than it looks, it was going to be lunch but I’m an hour early. Shoot me! :gun:

You guys don’t know how many times my wife has told me I should create a cook book! :smile: … As well as an art book, kids book, etc. :slight_smile:

I’m just glad you all are liking them. I’ve had many people ask me how to make cheesecakes, and then they just say 'can you just make me one!" … Guess It’s easier for some to purchase then create. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input. There will be more to come, and I hope folks keep coming up with ideas and sharing them!

I agree with everyone regarding you creating a cookbook. “The Keto Cheesecake Cookbook”.

(Terence Dean) #139

I think your wife is right, you should.

(Brian) #140

I would support that book as well!