My 1st Cheesecake? ... Well, sort-of

Yes sir, will do. … I actually had a piece today at lunch, and it’s tightened up nicely. I think dropping the sweetener to 2/3 c or 1/2 as Paul mentioned, should do it. Will also look into the crust some, though I think the Almond Flour works, I want to make sure to check for any improvements that can be made. I also plan to crush up the Erythritol as Diane mentioned as well. This should take the crystalline crunch out of the mix, so it’s not as disrupting.

Yep, I think your correct, Diane. I remember reading it was 70% as sweet as sugar, so thought it might be close as is. But being I’m not as familiar with these sweeteners, I think I will take your advice and shoot for half as a starting point for future recipe creations. :slight_smile:

Also, I just happened to have ordered a stainless steel mortar this morning from Amazon, so I can crush up the crystal granulars. I was actually thinking of getting one for a while, so this works out. Plus, I still have 2 pounds of Erythritol presently, but will look into the powder form as well. - Thanks

Ok, so I officially have the second Cheesecake in the oven. And after making a few changes, if it comes out as good as I think, it should work out pretty good.

First, let me say I made an error on the carb count on the first one, and discovered this when added up this one. Or should say my spreadsheet did. … When I added the info for Almond Flour into the topmost line, the cell wasn’t added/included into the total calculations, so it was a bit more carbs than I originally thought. Basically it didn’t incorporate the AF amount, so was closer to around 60 carbs per cake. (Sorry I mis-represented the carbs)

So here are changes I made to the recipe I used tonight. Basically I incorporated Flaxseed into the crust, which is what I really wanted to try from the start. (I may even try one with all Flaxseed?) - I also cut the Cream of Tartar to 1/4 tsp. cut the melted butter down to 2 1/2 tbsp in the crust and cut the Erythritol to 1/2 cup and powdered it with a mortar. (this took about 15 minutes and wasn’t as fun as I thought it might be? :wink:) But I have to say made a BIG difference. The crust was still quite formable, but did not feel too wet or solid. It appeared to have a nice form to it. And the Flaxseed actually gave it a spectacle appearance, as far as color. (May even cut it some more, maybe 3/4 cup Almond Flour, 3/4 cup Flaxseed. - Cuts carbs back, plus fiber!) *I did leave the Erythritol in the crust as is, because I liked @PaulL suggestion that it gives the crust some crunch. Thanks…

Image showing pressed crust in springform pan…

Crust:
Almond Flour - 1 cup
Flaxseed - 1/2 Cup
Cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
Erythritol - 1 teaspoon
2.5 table spoons butter (Melted)

Filling:
Cream Cheese - 3 - 8oz. packages
Large Eggs - 3
Sour Cream - 4 oz.
1-1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
Erythritol - 1/2 cup ( crushed/powdered )
Cream of Tartar - 1/4 Teaspoon (For added Potassium and to make it lighter/airier) Plus, I was looking for something to replace flour with this Keto version, and COT acts as a rising agent. So I thought it might suffice?

Oh, also, the changes I made, reducing cooking time to 50 minutes but still at 300 degrees convection and reducing the COT to 1/4 seems to have made a difference. The cake didn’t sink like the last one. Now to just wait until Friday to let it setup properly. … Can’t wait!

I just took the cake out of the oven, and for some reason the aroma is even better with this one? I just hope it taste as good as it looks in a few days time. :slight_smile: … So I made the fix to the spreadsheet, and basically made sure the top line for Almond Flour that I added, was being tallied up with the rest of the numbers for a proper total. The sheet does not show the Erythritol or Flaxseed info as far as carbs or fiber, but the total for the cake is (44.48) carbs for the entire cake. Or (5.56) carbs per slice if divided into 8 even slices. (Which is what I usually do) or (3.70) carbs when divided into 12.

(Terence Dean) #24

Awaiting the verdict!

Well, it’s getting closer to tasting time. :slight_smile: … I might have even cheated a little and tonight and tried a piece, but couldn’t if I wanted to. I didn’t even finish dinner? Just wasn’t feeling hungry, but again feeling slightly bloated?

But will definitely try a piece tomorrow night and see how it came out. Took it off the springform and seems solid. It didn’t drop, but just got some slight wrinkling which makes it appear so. You can also see the darker crust with the addition of the Flaxseed tossed in. … I could use some fiber too. :slight_smile:

(Doug) #26

Dave, from the picture, it truly looks amazing.

Thank you sir. I’m hoping it taste ok. - I’m experimenting trying to get the right taste. Made cheesecakes for many years, but want to make a nice keto version.

Thanks again.

Ok, so I brought a piece of the cheesecake with me this morning, since I have a full day of site reviews in the field, I ate it after getting to work this morning.

Overall it tasted fine, but think I will move the sweetness back up just a little since it’s Erythritol, which is only supposed to be 70% as sweet as sugar. So I will adjust the Erythritol to 2/3 cup (powdered)

The added Flaxseed to the crust wasn’t bad, but I have to admit, I actually liked the Almond Flour alone better on the first one. I think it can made both ways really, since Flaxseed does cut some carbs out and adds a little Fiber. But it only adds 4 carbs back to the full cake, taking out the Flaxseed and using 1-1/2 cups AF.

So I think for now I will keep it like this:
Crust:
Almond Flour - 1 - 1/2 cups
Cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
Erythritol - 1 teaspoon
2.5 table spoons butter (Melted)

Filling:
Cream Cheese - 3 - 8oz. packages
Large Eggs - 3
Sour Cream - 4 oz.
1-1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
Erythritol - 2/3 cup ( crushed/powdered )
Cream of Tartar - 1/4 Teaspoon

Removing the Flaxseed should only add an additional 4 carbs, bringing the total carb count for the whole cake to 48.48.

I’m planning to do some fasting this week, so it will give me time to decide what type I will do next and maybe have it made for when I break? - I’ve been thinking Chocolate or Chocolate Mint, but my son has hinted about Peanut Butter a few times? … Hmm, maybe Chocolate & Peanut Butter? :smile:

This looks really good! Maybe by September I will try it as I will be past 8 weeks of keto.

Cool. I hope you like it. :+1: Also, not a bad idea waiting to get to 2 months, since you’re still somewhat adapting. But also keep in mind that anyone wanting to make stuff like cheesecakes, you can always make the cake. Divide it as you like, I usually do it in 8 slices, but you can make them as small as you like.

Additional tip: Especially for those doing (KFO) Keto for One. - Once divided, you can place the slices on a cookie sheet for a couple hours to tighten it up, and then individually wrap and freeze them. Then when you want a piece, you simply take it out of the freezer and let it sit for 45 - 60 minutes to thaw. Or, as a bonus, give it just 5 - 10 minutes and you will have Ice Cream Cheesecake! :smiley:

Before my Mom passed a few years ago, I would make her favorite, which was a Cherry Cheesecake with Cinnamon, and Cherry Topping. But she never wanted to have a whole one at her house, because she would want a piece each time she went into the fridge and saw it. Also, not wanting to force herself to eat it within a couple weeks, so it didn’t go bad. So she started freezing it as I mention above, and she would let hers sit and wait to eat it as a proper cheesecake, where my brother rather liked it better as Ice Cream.

Hope this tip helps. … Enjoy!

Very good tip, Dave! The temptation would be to eat a lot, but freezing it forces me to save it. If I wanted to make it a lemon cheesecake, how much fresh lemon juice would I add to your current recipe? 1-2 Tbsp? Or maybe some lemon zest?
And cherry cheesecake is delicious!!! :heart_eyes:

On my full-sized, regular lemon Cheesecakes (made traditionally with sugar, 10" pan, etc.) I would add 2 1/2 tbsp. Lemon Juice, as well as some Lemon Zest. … Being this cake is a tad smaller (mostly because I never got to use my 8" pans, and now I have a use :slight_smile: ) I would say if you like a really lemony taste, try 2 tbsp. to begin with. If you like a lite lemon taste, start with 1 tbsp. … You can always adjust it as you make them to fit your personal taste. Oh, and yes, I would recommend zest as well. Always gives it a nicer flavor.

Additionally, I don’t think I’ve mentioned this yet, (and just in case you’re interested) I have some customers that I actually starting making ‘Lemon Meringue Cheesecakes’ for, which was simply adding a sweet Meringue topping. … Actually had one who was ordering one a week for a while, until she realized this wasn’t good for her figure! :slight_smile:

Thank you! I will add the 2 Tbsp of lemon juice to the recipe. And will grate some zest for sure! Why else to I have a microplaner???

Just thought, maybe I should have mentioned how I make Meringue for Cheesecakes.

For an 8" CC, you would simply wisk up 2 egg whites, (3 for full size 10") with 1/2 tsp. Cream of Tartar and with an added sugar substitute such as powdered Erythritol, (It’s what I would use personally) COT helps form and hold peaks, i.e., makes them stiffer. … Plus for Keto-Folks, the extra potassium is a bonus.

A couple years ago, I tried to figure the best way to accomplish this for Cheesecakes. After some trial and error, I found the best way was to cook the cheesecake first. After letting it cool for 30 minutes, putting it in the fridge as you normally would. - By the next day it should be completely set up. So mix the meringue, apply to top of cake, “while it’s sill in the springform”, but try not to get the mixture on the pan, because it will stick. And then bake it @ 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, until a nice light brown color forms. … You need to keep an eye on it, since it will burn if unattended. You want a nice light-brown color and of course, your peaks will be a tad darker brown, but not burnt. … Place cake back in the fridge and allow to set for 8 hrs. or up to 3 days before serving. (I prefer 3 days, because I love cheesecakes that are very creamy and those that want to stick to the roof of you mouth they’re so creamy! :slight_smile: )

Thanks! Added the meringue instructions to the recipe! I’m really sorry my mom has passed on because this cheesecake is gluten-free. I would love to have made it for her. Guess the good thing is that where she is now, she can eat all the bread and pastries she wants! :smiley:

(Terence Dean) #36

Just out of interest Dave, how many carbs per slice would your cheese cake using sugar be? I love cheese cake but I’m trying to stay away from artificial sweeteners for the moment. I tried making one with natural honey but that was terrible, I ended up putting some caster sugar in to at least make it palatable.

(Terence Dean) #37

Love it. I liked the look of the Almond flour based, speaking of fiber I wonder how a teaspoon of psyllium would go with the base?

You know, I’ve never even thought to look into that! :smile: … It was always based on taste, and I never even thought to check carbs, calories, etc. until I learned of the Ketogenic Lifestyle. (But I will surely check that and let you know.) Will post it later today, after I get the carb info on the sugar, flour, etc. … Thanks, it will be good to know.

I have yet to use Psyllium, so I’m not quite sure? That’s why I want to experiment with these new ingredients I’m being introduced to with this WOE. Like the Flaxseed, it really wasn’t bad, I just think the taste was a little more pure with the Almond Flour. And I did find myself picking out little seed flakes in my teeth for a while afterwards.

I will definitely look into other ingredients I’m not as familiar with. Anytime I can add Fiber, and reduce Carbs, that’s just a win, win. Just need to make sure it doesn’t compromise taste.

(Terence Dean) #39

Psyllium has no real taste but it does react to moisture, it turns a bit viscous so could up upset the base. Take your time with the details on the sugar version, no hurry.

Yeah, then that might cause issues? Would have to experiment to see what happens? You never know, and sometimes it can even cause good things to happen! (That’s why I want to purchase some small springforms, so I can essentially cut the mix down to a 1/4 for experimenting, without making full size cakes.

BTW … WOW! … I just ran the numbers, and based on what I plugged in, my original Cheesecake, which is full size hits 242.26 carbs for the full 9"/10". … I only switched over to a 9" a couple years ago, since the 10" cake would be right on the edge of the cake plates I order. And I couldn’t order any larger, since I order 10" boxes by 100 count, so really don’t want to. … So the 9" is just a bit taller. But I still have some that want the 10" ordered.

Keep in mind, that out of that 242.26 carb count, - 200 is simply the sugar and 6 is the flour. And it’s not overpoweringly sweet really because I never liked over-sweet cheesecake. But I have also made some for those who really need to watch their sugar intake for one reason or another, mostly being diabetic, and have enjoyed it with half that sugar, and no flour added. So you could actually reduce that number down to 136.26 for the entire cake. —(Lastly, this is based off a full size cake, so not a good comparison to the Keto sized cake, which is basically 3/4 my original. - So if you wanted to compare them, via size, the 242.26 number above would then be 181.69 using the same 8" pan) So if sliced into 8, the carb count per slice would still be 22.72 respectively. But you could always make smaller slices too. (8’s are good sized pieces) Dividing by 12 would get you 15.14 a slice.

Well, off to the store/s to look at a new riding mower. :angry: While cutting grass yesterday, had an incident and busted a front axle bearing and damaged the alignment. … Sucks.