Mussels with mushrooms, miso and yuzu kosho

food

(BuckRimfire) #1

Mussels with mushrooms, miso and yuzu kosho

serves 2 (I can eat a lot of mussels!)

(Note: yuzu kosho is a Japanese spicy citrus condiment that I just found out about. If you can’t find it or don’t want to spend six bucks on a tiny jar of mysterious seasoning, you could substitute something like 1/4 teaspoon of lime or lemon zest, 1/4-1/2 teaspoon juice from same and either a large pinch of dry cayenne pepper or a hearty dash of your favorite hot sauce.)

Scrub and debeard 2 # mussels

1 oz carrot, cut into tiny dice
1 oz shallot, thinly sliced
3 large crimini mushrooms, quartered and thinly sliced
1 oz red bell pepper, cut into small matchsticks

melt 10-15 grams (just enough to coat pot) butter in large covered stock pot over med-low heat, cook all vegetables until shallots are barely softened (5-10’). Don’t let them brown. Add 1/2 cup chardonnay + 1/4-1/2 c. water, cover and steam 5-10’. Meanwhile, in small bowl, resuspend 2-3 T white miso into 1/4 c. chicken broth + 1/4 c. mirin + 1/4 c. weak beer (optional and risky, can substitute water). Add miso stock to pot, increase heat to medium-high, when boiling add mussels, stir and cover. Stir briefly and replace lid every minute until mussels are cooked. Decant about 1/3 cup of broth back into small bowl, stir in 1/2 t. or to taste yuzu kosho.

Scoop mussels and some of mushrooms, broth, etc into large serving bowls. Garnish with a few teaspoons of yuzu kosho-infused broth.

Oh my that must’ve smelled amazing whilst cooking.

The mussels are cooked once their shells open, right? Only takes a few minutes, if I recall correctly? I’ve never cooked them, but would like to sometime!

(BuckRimfire) #3

Yes, the ones on the bottom at first who were most in contact with the broth opened up in only a minute or so. It only took three or four minutes to cook all of them, IIRC.