Mr Tortilla

I know I saw somebody mention these. The ingredients looks a bit dicey with some wheat flour and canola oil but these (small!) tortillas are allegedly 1 carb each. So, CGM in hand I gave them a try. As far as taste I will say “not bad” as I made some shrimp tacos with my fave sauce (⅓ cup each sour cream and mayo, 1.5 T lime juice and ¾ t each garlic powder and sriracha). Also used them to wrap around brats. Not bad.

Does anyone have a really great keto tortilla, either recipe or commercially available? I like these ok but the ingredient list doesn’t give me a warm and fuzzy. Also, I got a very small increase in blood sugar (like 90 to 100) after eating three shrimp tacos and a few extra shrimp. That is what I normally get from just the shrimp.

Next day I had some with just cheese. No blood sugar impact. TIA

(Joey) #2

For a flour tortilla replacement recipe, try this:

• 1 egg
  • 1 cup of shredded mozzarella (or parmesan) cheese
  • thick slice of butter, melted
  • optional additional seasonings, if you like

[Use these proportions but multiply the amounts for larger quantity.]

Mix ingredients all together. With a rolling pin, take a dollop of the mix at a time and roll into nice flat circles between parchment paper sheets. Pull off top sheet before baking so the circles rest on just the bottom sheet.

Bake in oven on cookie pans (on the bottom sheets of parchment paper) for 8-10 min @ 450 F degrees until gently or crisply brown, as you’d like.

BTW, the butter gives them a nice flavor/texture and they keep nicely in the fridge. As for the crispy ones, once cool, if you pop them in the microwave for a moment, they get pliable enough to wrap around any other ingredients without breaking.

We also use this recipe with a lot of garlic/oregano for pizza crusts and extras for sandwich wraps… as we did last night! :yum:

p.s. - Tortilla shells are supposed to be thin. But for a thicker, pizza crust-like result, I add a bit of almond flour + baking powder to produce “plump’ness.”