Morning, everyone! My brain is getting the better of me

newbies
fasting
extendedfast

Hi all, new here and trying to set myself up for success :slight_smile: I’ve fasted 3-4 days quite a few times and for some reason I’m having SUCH a hard time facing another fast - though I really really need one. My gut needs a break, my weight has crept up a few pounds, and I could stand a little evidence of self-control in my life right now.

So here I go - as of 8pm last night. What is with this abject fear and dread of not eating for a few days when I know full well it will all be ok???

Jen

(Stephanie Sablich) #2

Hang in there, Jen! I totally know what you mean; sometimes I feel awesome going into a fast, other times I feel rather miserable and dread it. I’ve not died yet and neither have you- but here we sit with our feelings.

I’m rooting for you :slight_smile:

(VLC.MD) #3

Keep busy.
it helped me.

(Jennifer) #4

Are your stress levels high? I find that i can’t fast when i am stressed. My brain just can’t handle it, so i don’t fast when stressed.

Good luck!

You know…that’s an excellent point. not eating is just one more thing to manage when you’re stressed, one more thing to worry about! That totally explains my failure last month - I couldn’t even face a 24 hour fast and got really down on myself :frowning:

(VLC.MD) #6

Cortisol (stress hormone) might be even more important than insulin !

(Sacha Beauregard) #7

Man, good thing I had a look here! I attempted a fast last weekend but I didn’t last long. I wonder if it might’ve been a combination of stress and the coffee I was slammin’ back (coffee raises cortisol, right?)

This coming weekend, everything should be free and easy, so I’ll add no coffee and see how that works out.

(Tim W) #8

Great point and good advice, trying to ef during a stressful time = tough. While no timeframe is 100% perfect, if you have a lot going on in your life IF might be a better choice.