Monk fruit vs Stevia

(charlie3) #1

I use Stevia daily only for the purpose of sweetening ice coffee. It’s fine. I’ve been buying liquid stevia from Amazon.

Am I buying Stevia the smartest way?

Should I be considering monk fruit? If yes what’s the smart buy for my ice coffee? Is it going to cost a lot more to sweeten with monk fruit?

(Bunny) #2

Monk fruit is so much more nutritious though?

image link

(charlie3) #3

Okay, right now what I use is stevia in liquid form. The bottles of liquid monk fruit are smaller and more expensive per ounce. If that’s proportional to sweetness then it appears to be far more expensive. Hopefully someone on the forum has more experience with that.

(Joey) #4

@charlie3 I wish I had proper scientific citations for you, but I seem to recall reading from a reliable source that, despite its extremely low caloric content, monk fruit sweetener produces out-sized insulin spikes in many people. I may be mis-remembering though, so someone with more science in hand should please set the record straight.

FWIW, I performed a blood glucose test on myself with a super-sweet dose of pure Stevia and shared the results here: Stevia post

Then again, we’re all unique… so your own metabolism is what matters to you, not mine.

Perhaps you can see whether you have a different reaction to Stevia, and compare it to your reaction to monk fruit sweetener?

(charlie3) #5

I don’t have patience for artificial sweetner science and probably paying more money. I’ll re order my usual stevia supply.

(Jack Bennett) #6

I’m personally fonder of monkfruit-erythritol blend. I find stevia has a bitter taste that is very noticeable to me. If it doesn’t bother you through, there’s probably no reason to change. My wife uses a stevia powder in her coffee so I sample it now and then to see if I like it.

Does that one more or less taste like sugar? Or does it have that same taste the powdered stuff usually has? 90% of my coffee intake is iced and the only thing I could find that tasted like sugar was a commercial concentration of liquid sucralose.

(charlie3) #8

May be I should look into sucralose. I don’t remember why I passed on it.

Probably because many claim (at least around here) that it messes up your gut bacteria, which it may, I don’t know. This is the one I’ve been using. 1 drop = 1tsp sugar! I’ve got some digestion issues myself but not ready to blame that either.

(charlie3) #10

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll give this a try.

(Rebecca ) #11

Hello, I use SweetLeaf Stevia Extract. I put 11 drops into 10 oz coffee with 2 T heavy cream and 2 t MCT Oil each morning. The bottle last a long time…

(Katie) #12

I do not know how monk fruit compares with stevia for nutrition and price, but I was pleased with this brand.

(Troy) #13

To chime in
For Monk Fruit
This brand as well

When in stock , 1.8oz around $10 or so

Or go big!!!

8oz bottle
Should last you about 5-10 years🤣

(charlie3) #14

So small amounts are available with free shipping so I’ll try sucralose and monk fruit. I do a couple of things to avoid diet fatigue. One of them is iced coffee with heavy cream and sweetner.

(KCKO, KCFO) #15

I don’t like the taste of monkfruit. I love my Sprounts caremel stevia liquid drops So it is my go to, I also like Swerve for baking things.

We all react differently to the keto sweetening options, you have to test and see how you do with them.