Molcajete (mol-ca-het-ay)

(Steve) #1

Most Mexican restaurants serve their version of molcajete which is the most keto friendly way of eating Mexican food, give it a try, it’s like fajitas without the tortillas and 10 times better.

To make it yourself
I save various sous vide and BBQ meats throughout the month, warm them on the grill or flat top.
Brisket point, pork belly, pork shoulder, chicken thighs, shrimp, rib eye, chorizo sausage and jalapeno poppers. Grill up some poblanos, plumb tomato, onion and mini peppers.
Place everything into the smoking hot molcajete and add queso fresco cheese and homemade salsa verde ‘green sauce’. Everything bubbles and caramelizes for a good half hour in the molcajete hand carved lava bowl. We serve it with lettuce, sour cream, cilantro, lime and avocado.
Here some ideas to make your own Molcajete meal along with the salsa verde recipe. The bowl is heated on the grill or oven to 500 degrees, I put my smoking hot molcajete on a board for serving and plunk it right in the middle of the table, the fat and cheese caramelize right in front of you. My wife eats out of one side and I eat out of the other. You can purchase a molcajete on Amazon or local Mexican market, I guess you could use a cast iron pan in a pinch but I’m not sure if it would work as well?

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

One of my favorite dishes. Thanks for posting this, I will be giving it a try out next week, after these snow storms stop hitting us every few days.

(Sheri Knauer) #3

I have a molcajete just like that and have never used it that way. In fact Ive only ever seen it used for making guacamole. I may just have to try this way soon!

Wow, fantastic! Fantastico!

(Steve) #5

Thanks
The best part about this method is you simply freeze little bits of this and that until you have enough for a killer meal. It is always exciting and different every time. Please post your dinner, I’m curious in what you add. Sorry about the snow, spring is around the corner.

(Steve) #6

It’s lots of fun, I promise.
Cheers