Miracle Noodles

(Camille ) #1

Guys…I’m terrified of these things. I’ve bought them twice and then they sat in my fridge for 6 months before I just threw them out. They come swimming in their own juices and I’ve heard they smell terrible…HELP!

(Brian) #2

That’s funny! Seriously! I don’t remember, but I bought a package of those things (or similar) a while back, too. And they sat in the bottom drawer of the fridge for months. I honestly don’t remember whether they’re still there or whether I finally did throw them out. Just couldn’t make myself do it. And my wife wouldn’t touch them either. LOL!!

We’re a mess. :wink:

(Tovan Nhsh) #3

I’ve eaten them a few times. They were…ok-ish.

(Candy Lind) #4

Yes, they are weird. No, they are not exactly like wheat pasta (Captain Obvious here). They can be a great replacement when you’ve just gotta have some pasta. I recently read THIS RECIPE which suggests another way to work with these noodles that makes them lose some of their less-endearing traits, and I’m going to try it as soon as I can find the time in the new year. Since pasta Alfredo is one of my favorites, I’m likely going to make that sauce in that URL as well. Jury’s out on the shrimp! :blush:

I’m curious to know if anyone has ever had any digestive issues with them, since they are basically all fiber.

(Jo O) #5

I don’t use them to replace pasta. Completely different texture. Zucchini is a little better. Hubby prefers finely shredded cabbage.

Instead I use them in Asian dishes like ramen, sukiyaki, pad Thai or pho.

(Marie Dantoni) #6

They don’t taste as good as grain based noodles, but they do add variety to meals with a little tweaking. First off soaking them in water with a bit of lemon or vinegar completely removes the fishyness. Next drying them in an ungreased frying pan removes moisture and makes them more readily accept seasonings. I like the fettuccini cut up in chicken soup. The Angelhair is great in curries. I just discovered miracle rice which is my favorite so far. Made it with coconut lamb curry and then an italian type meat sauce- which would easily make great stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage.

(Shayne) #7

I use them periodically - in pasta alfredo. But I prepare them the way Dana Carpender instructs in her books.

Drain & rinse them in a colander, nuke for 2 minutes, drain, nuke, drain, sauce.

My local stores carry a brand that I like better than Miracle noodle and they’re less expensive. I don’t have any of that brand in my fridge right now, so unfortunately, I can’t tell you what it is.

(Jeff W.) #8

Thumbs up for the recipe. No digestive issues.

(Karen) #9

I don’t use them often, but find them an OK sub for noodles when hubby and I are eating a noodle dish. He’s naturally thin as is his whole family. Lucky fella.

I just make whatever sauce and we each eat our own noodls. The fish smell is mild, can be rinsed off and is later completey masked by your sauce.

I discovered the microwaving on my own as well and like it better than dry frying. Note:never feed these to small children or elderly with swallowing issues. They don’t dissolve and are a choking hazard. They do not soak up sauces like grain noodles, but I haven’t had gas or other GI issues with them.

(John B) #10

I’ve used the Fettuccine style, angel hair, and rice style. I prefer the Fettuccine style, and made a Pho with it, worked wonderful. I was afraid of the smell at first, also hearing all the horror stories, but it wasn’t that bad at all. i could barely smell it. Just rinsed them for a while, and I agree with what others have said, don’t treat them like regular pasta, I wouldn’t use them with a tomato sauce, but they’re great in soups! Some suggestions are to stir fry them to get rid of the moisture.

Rinse.
“Dry fry.” (in a frying pan, no oil)
Bake with your other ingredients. This should eliminate the sliminess.

I like the tuna / cheddar combo the best, although you can also do tomato sauce w/ meatballs or shrimp with pesto.

They are really not bad, but don’t expect perfection.

(Candy Lind) #12

Would it be these? I like them better than the “transparent” ones, too - only 2 (stated) net carbs for the entire package - I think I would count 3 just to be sure.

(Karen) #13

Yep, similar to what I use. Many companies.

(Shayne) #14

YES, that’s them! I eat the whole package usually.

(Candy Lind) #15

Used tofu shirataki in this meal today. The rinse/nuke/repeat method really improves the texture!

I threw down a whole package of those a couple of times. they need to be rinsed thoroughly, a lot. When they are finished warming up I cut them up with scissors so I don’t choke on them since they are hard to chew.

I like the way they taste, they remind me of the sweet potato starch noodles I used to eat. same consistency and color.