Milk replacement

(Jessica K) #5

Fairlife milk is a guilty pleasure on very rare occasion for me. I looooove milk. I might try this!

(matt ) #6

Could you cut HWC with water to get it to the consistency of milk?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #7

You might get the consistency, but probably not the taste. Might be worth some experimenting, tho.

(matt ) #8

Someone else can try it for me …I don’t recall the last time I wanted a glass of milk. Even pre-keto I was not a mil drinker.

I was never a big milk drinker, but it is nice with keto cookies as a treat.

(Erin Macfarland ) #10

My kids drink raw local jersey cow milk with tons of cream in it. I’ll occasionally have a little it’s some of the only dairy I can tolerate!

(Jan) #11

I haven’t had fresh raw milk in maybe 30 yrs…on my brother’s farm in Wisconsin, fresh from the cow. so unlike the stuff in the cartons, more like a milkshake! What’s the carb count for that, anyone know?

(Scott Shillady) #12

Very similar to whole milk. Standard homogenised pasteurized is 3.5 to 4 percent butterfat, depending on the brewed of cow and diet raw milk can be from 3. to 5 percent

(Debbie Basinger) #13

I really like Califia Farms ‘Toasted Coconut’ Coconut Almondmilk Blend. Be sure to get the ‘toasted coconut’. Satisfying in the same way a glass of milk is.
8 oz glass is 45 calories.
Macros: Fat 4g, Total Carbs 1g, Protein 1g

(Ross Daniel) #14

This sounds weird, but I drink about 8oz of the Blue Diamond unsweetened with breakfast each morning but I add some seasalt to it. The salt smooths out the taste, I also use salted kerrygold in my BPC for the same reason. Also, I need my sodium :slight_smile:

(Genevieve Biggs) #15

DI’ve seen multiple sources that show that raw milk is less insulinogenic than pasteurized. Due to the fact that pretty much all the micronutrients are killed when pasteurized, in its raw state it is easier to digest, and thus your body does not struggle trying to get thr nutrients. The micronutrients aid in digestion, so somehow it does not spike insulin like other carb sources or pasteurized milk.

Here is Jimmy Moore’s N=1 experiment with various beverages, including raw milk: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/jimmy-moore’s-n1-experiments-atkins-protein-shakes/11363

Here’s the specific graph for raw milk:

(Paula Hradkowsky) #16

I don’t drink milk, but in recipes I mix heavy cream 50?50 with water for milk.

(Cindy) #17

Calafia Farms is the best! I make hot chocolate with it.

(Jan) #18

This is awesome info - thanks Genevieve! I was thinking of trying to find local grass-fed raw milk to make my own butter; this makes me even more motivated.

(Marcus) #19

Where’s the recipe for your keto cheesecake brownies???

I’m in Texas and it’s ridiculous trying to get raw milk here. It’s illegal
to sell in stores or farmer’s markets. It’s required to drive out to a farm
and purchase from a farmer directly.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #21

Here you go:

(Genevieve Biggs) #22

It’s so worth it! My raw dairy provider also sells butter. Best butter in my mouth ever! And if you store it on the counter it cultures–SO delicious.

(jketoscribe) #23

I thin down canned coconut milk with ice cubes. The temperature helps for some reason.

I used to be a big milk drinker, I think I miss that more than anything, but one of the things I’ve learned is that milk and I don’t really get along (not lactose intolerant, but probably intolerant Casein A-1).

For a while I was replacing it with unsweetened almond milk (also good if really cold!) but there’s so much added to it, so I stopped. Yes, I know how to make my own almond milk and sometimes do, but it’s work intensive.

Great idea. I’ve really been missing just having a glass of milk. Almond milk was on sale so I bought it. If I find it intolerable I will definitely try your trick, so thanks!!