Mike's Excellent Zero Carb Beer Adventure šŸŗ

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #81

Experiment #9 [Jan 21 2020, 11:55 am]

Last taste. Head is still good, but retention still not quite what Iā€™d like. I must reiterate that the mouthfeel is really great! Better than most commercial beers/ales. Thatā€™s an accomplishment. :heart_eyes:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #82

[Jan 21, 2020, 11:35 am]

In preparation for Experiment #10, I started 1 liter of cold brew in my Espro french press. A mix of 20gr of Tim Hortons French Vanilla ground coffee and 15gr of Kauai Vanilla and Macadamia Nut ground coffee in 1 liter of water, with 25gr of pomelo peel and 1gr of Himalayan pink salt. Iā€™m going to let it brew for 24 hours and use 350gr of this coffee. I tried this Tims in my morning coffee and liked it a lot. So decided to give it a try for the beer. Iā€™m hoping it will increase the vanilla taste.

I decided to try pomelo peel this time because I thought it might add a bit more ā€˜grapefruitā€™ flavour. It had better, because the peel is very thin, the pith very thick and bitter. If it doesnā€™t do what I hope, itā€™s not worth the effort. Pomelo is probably a late Pleistocene grapefruit: a lot of inedible, bitter pith and very little edible fruit.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #83

VExperiment #10 [Jan 22, 2020, 5:30 pm]

Base:

Other stuff:

• 350 gr cold brewed coffee (mix: 20gr of Tim Hortons French Vanilla and 15gr of Kauai Vanilla and Macadamia Nut ground coffee in 1 liter of water)
  • 25 gr pomelo peel (brewed with the coffee)
  • 10 gr Coffee Booster Collagen
  • 0.7 gr Progressive Complete Collagen Unflavoured

Notes (and see following):

Iā€™m drinking whatā€™s left of the coffee. The pomelo peel added sort of a distinct grapefruit flavour, with a hint of bitter. I expect it will be much less in the beer. Again, the Progressive Collagen dissolved completely. I added a bit more in the hopes it will firm up the head and retention. The wort is transparent and free of sediment. Overall not quite as dark due Iā€™m pretty sure too the medium roast of the Tims.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #84

Experiment #10 [Jan 29, 2020, 2:30 pm]

First taste. Nutty with fruity overtones, some vanilla finally and even a hint of chocolate (who woulda thought that?). Donā€™t like the pomelo, a little too bitter, and will go back to grapefruit peel. With the little headspace until after the first pour, getting enough CO2 into the beer is tough. So, Iā€™ll post a photo tomorrow with the second taste test to get a better impression of carbonation/retention.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #85

Experiment #10 [Jan 30, 2020, 5:00 pm]

Second taste. In addition to what I said in my previous post, the mouthfeel of this is stupendous! Itā€™s almost like you could chew it. The pomelo is not so noticeably bitter any more, but I still think it will be better with grapefruit peel instead. Overall the taste is very good. Itā€™s distinctive enough that you know youā€™re not drinking something youā€™ve had before. Yet still within the range of acceptable variation. I think this mix with grapefruit rather than pomelo is going to be a winner.