Meat Chewin' June - June 2022 Carnivore Chat

(Judy Thompson) #241

Ever since last summer when we had COVID I have told people, “I highly recommend the COVID diet.” GMTA!

(Vic) #242

A good friend and only Carnivore I know in real life is under constant frendly criticism from her brother in law, who is an MD. The fact that she lost 35kg and is very healthy now seems to be ignored.

It doesn’t seem to matter if she uses me as a reference and tells him that I havent been eating any veggie for many years. I lost 26kg and became very healthy.

I hope life brings us together one day so we can have a nice debate, perhaps I should organise a BBQ in the garden and invite them all over. I find it fascinating how smart people can be so stuck in their old wisdom.

Ofcourse I could be stuck in my wisdom as well, and have a deteriorating health in my carnivore lifestyle.

So lets measure blood pressure, after all i suffered hypertension.

Heart rate is 62 after 4 cups of morning coffee, it used to be above 90 all the time.

The scale reads 82 kg and I feel great. Guess I’m still doing more then ok in the health department.

I also charged my old Ketonix breath ketone meter and used it.

It still seems to work, very low ketosis is no suprise for a carnivore.

I will keep an open mind and evaluate my way of eating, but it seems like I will keep doeing this for another 5 years.

I :heart: your report Vic.

When I read Essen’s comment I read it with a winky face/ tongue-in-cheek vibe. Digging at the traditionally trained cardiologists, not so much we carnivores. :slightly_smiling_face:
If I was reading in German, EssenSturm translates as Eating Storm in Australian. (cool handle)

Chicken soup again tonight to soothe away this cold air sensitive cough. Lots of winter hydration in meaty soups. 3 eggs and bacon at 12 noon. 2 x coffee and cream, as had a work meeting and needed to have my brain clear and responsive. Steak last night baked in the cast iron oven atop the wood fire stove, also added in some smoked salmon for a bountiful surf’n’turf.

cool on the carnivore’s dream cause I wasn’t sure what it was referencing LOL but yea, alot of us carnivore’s have the best food dreams presented to ourselves all the time on a plate, we make sure of just that LOL

@carnivoor2
I just enjoyed the heck out of your post. You said it, preach it, never deny all the great benefits and yell them from the highest rooftop to others is all we can do :slight_smile:
Great post!!

-------------watching that tv show ALONE last night and the guy harvested a beaver and was preaching life was meat and fat and all about the fat intake and how it is crazy life became no fat, low fat, eat crap food and sugar but no fat…he was like…what in the heck happened to this world? I was like…YEA MAN! AMEN! W
He said we are nothing without good fat in our bodies and I again was like, this guy gets it :slight_smile: :slight_smile: and said it on a tv show but who will listen I guess but I enjoyed hearing it!

----------busy busy and one more busy, just stuff on me to take care of and doing just that.

today is chicken. I am not putting much thought into food or defrosting or when I eat or ? But I got chicken available and bacon so I know I can make something real good with just that :slight_smile:

July is coming, what names are we gonna vet out for it?
Carnivore Jubilee July? heehee

(Judy Thompson) #245

@carnivoor2 crazy that almost all the Carnivore experts and authors are MDs and yet here’s this guy giving her a hard time without checking any of the research. You’re stats alone should be enough for anyone to see it.

Busy days this week, nights get late and then there’s no way to concentrate on writing here; but I have been keeping up with reading - we are my favorite read :grin:

Jerky Jubilee July? Hm not many meats start with J.

We finally got to the Brazilian Steakhouse on Sunday, called Texas de Brazil, oddly enough. I forgot my phone that day, so my daughter snapped a few. On the salad bar I found salmon, shrimp and prosciutto, then churriscos brought lamb, chicken, pork shoulder, rib eye, picanha, and some other things. Spring water and coffee. Hubby had a slice of pie that turned out to cost as much as a whole meal elsewhere. I’m glad I finally got to go.

Still whittling away on my roast tenderloin. Nights I’m eating a slice of braunschweiger and a chunk of sharp cheddar. Yesterday morning, a tuna and boiled egg salad.
Today I’m roasting chicken thighs.
There are country style pork ribs in sous vide that will be ready for lunch tomorrow.

We leave for Texas on Friday, will arrive there Sunday night, looking so forward to being back!

(Karen) #246

@JJFiddle so glad you got to go Brazilian yay😃 meat looks amazing. Was it cooked how you like it? I couldn’t fault any of the meats that I ate when my daughter took me to the one in Coventry!

Well i feel exhausted like I have had a week n a half in 2 days. Both work days both minus sleep the night before !

Had my Ill health retirement meeting with the #1 Gov. I am starting in Offender Management Unit (OMU) next a week on Wed, i have leave next week. Same bosses as are in charge of the restricted duties I have been doing since January just different job. #1 going to see me in a couple of months to see how I am getting on health wise but its the only job he is offering else its the retirement route. I feel okay with this as I was so on the fence about what to do. I will have my pay protected for 2 years so if i decide I am doing okay and don’t feel ready to retire after receiving state pension next year then I can continue another year knowing my pay won’t drop. Still 19.5 hours a week but not shift hours so instead of a 10 or 13 hour shift followed by an early or 8 hour shift I will be working 2 5 days each week. No weekends, same days every week (wed, Thurs, Fri morning, 7, 7 and 5.5 hour days) so I reckon the body and mind may adjust better and of course no weekends Yay! Lol I was totally fighting my corner Monday but today trying to sort out leave and what civi’s dresscode is and all the little trivial detail my new boss must have thought I was a right bumbling idiot. Wanted to cry but held it together, head felt like a shed though! So i left work to come home at 2pm and have pottered in the garden and then sat and did code and crosswords to take my mind off it all and watched the birds, watered the plants and deadheaded the flowers. I think I am doing the right thing.

Brunch was sliced cooked chicken with melted cheese and butter. Took 2 hard boiled eggs in but brought them home again.
Dinner was 2 beef burgers with a good sized knob of the special butter Yum!

I have hypertension, but controlled now, depending on how stressed I am.

I immediately get stressed going for bloods and pressure readings, (white coat syndrome) ,so I bought a home monitor.

Much better results.
Although when I watch the news and drink alcohol, which usually coincide, my heart rate can be 100+ easily.

Alvaro did it differently :smiley: He slimmed down super quickly by starvation and kept it by being careful on his original diet afterwards (he used to include short, quick diets once in a blue moon but he can do without now). But he is an exceptional case, I am aware. AND there was a slight change, obviously his original diet and activity would trigger getting fat again. He gains fat very quickly and easily if he overeats unlike me. And his metabolism must have been slow right after his stunt… The first years weren’t so easy back on his not very health conscious HCHF…
Later when he was kind of slim but some pot belly started to reappear, he used the exactly same diet for losing fat. Skipping dinner is super effective for him. It’s (almost) all about calories for him, even his satiation is like that. Okay, he couldn’t get satiated without his protein and fat (or on high-fat low-carb, well he can but overeats and gets sick. fatty protein just can’t satiate him well while it’s the best for me. and we are both humans. amazing) but it doesn’t matter if his food is 5% carbs or 90%, a fixed amount of calories brings long term satiation. I still can’t my head wrap around that though it makes sense, our body uses the energy in food… Mine is a weirdo getting hungry from a ton of carbs (while totally using it)…
And he badly needs much exercise to keep his figure. Hopefully he never need to slow down much, he can’t eat even less than what he does now. So exercise is vital. But it’s good anyway, it’s just sad he is forced to do it. I am not BUT I am chubby so… We will see what comes later (muscles I hope. I won’t be able to little enough when slim without muscles and exercise I suppose :D).

It can’t be interpreted for me. I don’t do dieting. I almost never lose fat, never was slim, maintenance is the easiest thing for me by FAR (both losing and gaining is near impossible though I could do the latter, super slowly and with great effort, at least I had a method in the past, maybe I couldn’t do it anymore, it’s possible) - but my main goal is health, well-being and more energy anyway. So I go for a healthy woe, fat-loss be damned, basically (even though the two are strongly correlated, yay. It’s really an idiotic thing for me to eat wrong, it only causes problems on all levels).
But my old woe really didn’t encourage keeping a right body composition either. But I never saw that from any woe of mine, it’s just probable I hardly would gain fat with carnivore without really, really wanting it. But as I never ever was slim beyond my first months of my life, I don’t actually know. But still am sure it will be super easy to maintain, I just need to lose fat somehow, stay somewhat active and don’t stray too far too often…
I definitely need to be way stricter if my goal is losing, maintenance is super easy. My body hates calorie deficits when I eat below 2000 kcal (it must be a tad more flexible but around here, my body has these stupid things with fixed numbers). Eating as much as I need sounds easier and yep, it is. And I maintain if I eat some more anyway… As long as my body likes the current state I suppose… I never could maintain less than 69kg BUT I couldn’t keep my carbs below 40g net a day back then, it would be easier now I imagine.

My weekend was informative. Now I know I really should be careful, I STILL can eat very wrong occasionally under the wrong circumstances. It doesn’t even make sense to me, I thought I lost those compulsions. It wasn’t soooo enjoyable as I didn’t eat what I like (it was nice tasting but carnivore food is even better) and ate when I was too full (not the right word, whatever. but that was because I NEEDED my usual type of fatty proteins so I did it right I ate those, the mistake was made beforehand).
So I wasn’t a good hedonist. Now I came back to whatever I am able to do now. Almost carnivore-ish.

Alvaro finally has cooked what he had been planning since ages (I hope I didn’t mess up the tenses but it was always my weak point in English. if I didn’t say it enough times, we basically have 2 tenses. and future but we very often use present tense for it), chicken liver+heart stew! He even put a little tomato into it, not just onions so it’s not carnivore at all but good enough for me. It’s very nice! I like the nicely chewy hearts and liver is too intense alone. We had 500g liver and 500g hearts but it probably would be better with more hearts. I wonder if I can buy it without a huge amount of package, this thing had a plastic box without the material sign(?) pressed into it. Never again. Fortunately the 3kg pork thigh piece wasn’t in a box, I like that. It still has plastic, sure but proportionally way less.

Tomorrow I make a pork roast, it was so long ago I did that last time… I had some brisket in the last few days (very tasty and chewy and lean. I frozen it cut into thin slices so it’s very easy to get some out any time), more cheese than usual and sausage and turkey before that… And pork stew even earlier.

And I saw nice big birds so often now. I managed to shot the heron, well it wasn’t in the shadow so not a great pic, oh well. Today I had no camera but saw baby swans for the first time this year! All chicks are kind of big now but they are still small and different from their parents. I only managed to photograph coot chicks :slight_smile:
My world is FULL with baby toads since weeks, they are jumping everywhere on shadowed forest paths but in my garden as well.

[…]
And this is the new part. I am in no mood to bring the waterfowl photos right now and couldn’t find my stew pic but it’s not properly carnivore anyway.

Today was like yesterday, stew, eggs, little quark with sour cream.
And my extras but it seems I can go back to proper carni in the beginning of July. Or close enough.
And then came my 4th, not necessary but satisfying meal.

My first 3 meals were in a 4 hour eating window (yeah I do this again, can’t help it) but then I made my pork roast and it was irresistible :smiley: Okay, so I didn’t have another half pound meat day, it was around a whole pound for today?
I mostly use eggs to accompany my meats now so their number isn’t high so I better eat a pound of meat. That’s such a nice amount anyway. Not too much, not too little.

I still drink too many coffees, today with cream. I had some whipping cream too. Yum. I have easy satiation and my meat is leanish so I can afford some (not very little) not satiating dairy now.

@Karen18
sorry your meeting was a ton of info coming at you and a change of job and more but it sounds like this will all suit you. No weekends :slight_smile: and shorter day hrs and maybe this will float your boat ok once you get a handle on it. Plus it shows you a way forward but you still got options if needed, so it seems like this is all a good thing for ya? Hope so!! You got thinking time on it all on what you might end up doing, I do believe you will come out of this all in fine shape :slight_smile:

@JJFiddle
so true, if you don’t maintain how you ate to lose the weight, you don’t have a prayer to keep it off. every success story I read at all times says one thing, you don’t ‘add back’ and keep on going, you eat the same stuff it took to get that success. It means ‘lifestyle eating change’, not being on ‘a darn diet’ and then ‘ending that diet’ to eat the other crap again, lol.

Love your Brazilian restaurant. we don’t have that around me but if I am ever out on the road and see one I sure will hit it up!! That pie was that expensive!? yikes LOL great pics!

-------------I liked Jerky Jubilee July :slight_smile: Jerky…I fall into a Jerky Carnivore category HA

simple eating day. chicken again and I am hankering for tuna again. I am on a tuna roll for some reason? :slight_smile: Appetite is holding lower still. Got no desire for a honking big steak at all. Only beef I really want is just some burger when I want it. no biggie, I just follow what I want to eat when I want to eat it and all goes good with that for me.

ZC on strong all, July is coming fast at us!

(Robin) #250

Glad your hours are not only fewer, but reliable. Hopefully that will help with your sleep!

Duck egg whites have less water in them than chicken eggs. But because the white cooks faster, it makes a great poached egg. Just remember, duck eggs don’t taste the same as chicken eggs. Hard to explain but they taste more like river water…not in a bad way, just different, at least to me. Some people, chefs etc. prefer duck eggs and pay a pretty penny for them.

(Judy Thompson) #252

@Karen18 you’re going to love your new schedule, nice and regular, no “doubling back” as we used to say in hospital work. Only 3 days a week. I bet you could do that for 2 years with no sweat.
Musicians’ work is so irregular, especially when I was in the band with morning rehearsals and evening performances, then trips around the country at odd times. When I went to military training academy and we worked from 7:30 to 4:30 5 days a week, I thought I’d died and gone to heaven :innocent:

Getting ready to hit the road on Friday, so much to do because DD will be camping here (with her stuff). Well keep the basement and upstairs so we have a place when we return from time to time, at least we don’t have to clear it completely.
I’ll take some things to eat for the road, boiled eggs, hot dogs, going to roast some wings for the cooler. We don’t eat heavy on the road, 3 days out and then shop when we get there.

We ate the country style pork ribs I sous vided for 36 hours, very tender. Just a sprinkle of liquid smoke and salt, no rub or BBQ seasoning. Good enough. Filling. Neither of us finished it, so there’s probably enough for another meal… On the road?

(Judy Thompson) #253

@Hollsoph yes, they’re very different! Makes sense that there’s less water as it’s easy to overcook the whites. I love the dark orange yolks!

You do realise that the term ‘hedonist’, to me and probably others on here, sounds like 3 weeks at a no holes barred club resort in Cancun?

Just checking! :smiley:

Last day of Chewin’ 22. No food or coffee yet. Cattleman’s steak last night with 2 playing card size slices of fried sheep’s milk halloumi cheese. It was an accidental OMAD day.

COVID cough hanging around in the cool, dry, winter air.

Fasting blood glucose 7.2mmol/L (130mg/dl), and blood ketones 0.1 mmol/L. Further fasting blood glucose (just now) 6.7mmol/L (120mg/dl). I need to do more research on this higher blood glucose, and whether it is a carnivore low carb thing.

Eggs and bacon at 2pm and chicken soup at 7pm.

I’ll see you all in Chew-Lie, when @Fangs kicks off the new 31 day ZC challenge.

This is a picture of a coastal heath winter wildflower known as ‘Cocky’s Tongue’. [EOFY]

[yesterday. I left my post again but I still haven’t found my food pic. IDK why, it’s the second I lost lately. oh well, not very interesting]
I had a tiny pork with bacon (nope, I don’t like bacon, I will stop buying it. maybe the tiny cubes to spice up scrambled eggs sometimes? one packet should last a year!), pork without bacon and eggs. Some dairy too (mostly sour cream as I run out of the other things. and don’t want to open my yogurt).
5 eggs, 0.75 pounds of pork, tiny bacon and sour cream. A bit too small lunch but I am not hungry just not satiated but I got bored of eating. I will have a tiny dinner later. {I think I did that… and then I jumped the leftover pork at 1am, it happens. maybe I had a too low meat consumption lately… that easily triggers such things.}

Yesterday I ate much but not excessively so, it’s impressive from me to stay below 2000 kcal if I have 4-5 meals :smiley: I love my lean pork that makes it possible.

Temperature went over 35Celsius. I must hide in my house all day now.
And after a looong time I have very red hair again. I have the dye since several months, postponing the chore forever… But I did it now. It’s cool.
My garden is a bit problematic here and there, not all plants handle the dry hot weather well. Of course my trees are just fine as always. And nothing can phase the blackberries either, they are survivors.
Watering is just not like proper rain. And we do have rain often but it’s super tiny and at night/dawn. The sun comes, dries up the tiny wetness and proceed to burn everything all day.

[…]
I decided to drop tracking again until I can’t eat properly, simply and only 1-2 times a day :frowning:

And the weather just gets hotter… 40C in Hungary this week, at least sometimes, somewhere.
I don’t even went to walk at 8am today as it was too hot. Maybe after 8pm? Even if it will be still hot? I can’t skip my daily walks anymore, I need them so much! And I see the heron and the others so often! The heron is shy and I couldn’t make a really good photo of it yet.
The 300mm lense is pretty useful for bird photography I must say… It’s Alvaro’s most expensive lense by far (a few months of salary, maybe even back then and definitely now, I only mean the salary as I have no idea lense prices now but they have evolved anyway so comparison isn’t fair) but it’s awesome!

The last photo is of a baby coot :slight_smile: It’s nothing like the adults.

I am vaguely mentally prepared for July. So many of my fruit seasons end in the next days and nothing important remains so I have chances for a nice month. June… Even being June could have been better. It’s always tricky to add any plant carbs as things may get out of hand. But I did it better than in the past… Well I had to, I can’t just do an off-keto month anymore, not even a week. It’s very anti-hedonistic to do so. My last days were much better but it seems my body loses its patience so even tiny extras are frowned upon. So I go strict again :slight_smile: If not all the time, most of it?

I totally lack fatty pork right now (I mean proper meat, not processed stuff, I barely eat that at this point), maybe I can produre some today, I go to the town. Just because we must send a parcel to Australia (postal prices goes up tomorrow. a light parcel isn’t so bad as it is sent as “letter”. even quite big ones work as a letter, it just must be below 2kg) so we use the car. I just can’t walk there in 36-40C. Maybe a bit less in the nice shadowed forest but it’s still super high. I get overheated even in 20C if I am moving… It’s so serious even Alvaro stopped running. He could do at 5am but coming back after 2pm… Nope. He probably will do some nice longer empty (no backpack) running in the weekend.
It was so long ago I visited the town so I will check out the meat fridge :slight_smile: The pork thigh (it seems it’s called green ham) is usually sold out but I have enough of it. I go for the 70/30 pork, yum. I want cracklings and nice fried just perfectly fatty pork again.

Eating is easy and nice now, I just don’t know why I can’t do 1-2 meals a day. It’s mental, except when I get hungry too early. But I have zero willpower in this brain-melting heat. Not like I ever like to use it for eating (or rather not eating).

But we have an AC now, sweet! Sadly it doesn’t help my room as it’s in downstairs where the heating must happen in winter… But it’s good to have a warm but not too hot kitchen.
I use the AC 1-2 hours a day now. It makes the air chilly, it’s so odd… But I realized I love it during workouts. And cooling effectively lowers humidity too, it’s great as our humidifier does the opposite, obviously… It doubles as a 200W heater so only good in winter.

No? I don’t really care, it’s all about JOY for me. My inner hedonist runs the show and the available joy is a vital part in my decision making, to put it lightly :slight_smile: It’s almost always all about that.
It’s especially important in eating. I should eat in a way to maximize my joy.

I think hedonism maybe means short-term joy-chasing to people… Well, that isn’t hedonistic to me if it has negative effect later, I am not short-sighted like that. (My actions may be like that but that’s not hedonistic therefore wrong. Maybe something can be not hedonistic and right but it’s too hot to dig deep enough to imagine such a situation).

@FrankoBear if you want I can start Jerky Jubilee ZC July, no problem but you being ahead of me in time you get it started on the board before I even get up HAHA

---------------June is darn near over guys and we all did well and are holding our own!!

since July 4th holiday is coming they put ribeye steaks on sale. hit store and got 6 fat ones, then all they had was those darn crappy thin cut ones but I got 6 of those also cause I figure they would be good for me for a surf and turf day. But those thin cut steaks stink but I figured I better buy any I could get on sale cheaper while I could.

mother in law has alot of ‘failure issues’ happening and things are not going well on what the hosp. can do for treatment and more, she is in ICU at this point? ugh, this is all getting spooky bad but again, all we hear is wait and see and that I guess is all we can do.

I am still in a brain fog blah and dumbed down type mood of just who cares, don’t overload me anymore, just leave me alone to process and all that. I can’t drag up out of that yet but I am doing ‘better’ thru all the stuff on our plate.

today I am gonna get in my damn pool come hell or highwater :slight_smile: So hot outside, near 100 and that is MY weather and I ain’t been swimming but today I am going in ‘to chillax’ in some form.

so for me I will eat a skinny ribeye and pair with chicken. I got 4 thin cut pork chops I need to cook now so will do that and snack on those if needed, if not just eat tomorrow leftovers.

You guys and this thread is THE BEST! I love chatting with you all and reading how well you guys are doing and this is jus a very good comfort zone for me to blabber to ya’ll :slight_smile: thanks!

(Robin) #258

Wow. Never saw a baby coot! They are one of my favorite waterfowl! Love their honking and the way that going under water for food and their little bottoms bob on the surface.

(Robin) #259

Just keep your head above water, figuratively and literally. Sometimes all we can do is dog paddle and stay afloat.
Hang in there.:heart:

Thanks R! yea we gotta keep that it is what it is cause life is gonna ram all over everyone one of us at some point in these situations and I agree, just keep life in perspective and we hope we all make it thru it all when we are faced. :heart: thanks!