Meal Timing and OMAD

(Ethan) #1

I’d like some input from the community about what meal timing might be best for OMAD. I believe that the timing of the meal may actually make a big difference in fat loss overall because of insulin resistance. My theory is that because my fasting insulin is probably higher in the morning (dawn phenomenon) than it is in the evening, eating a high-fat OMAD in the morning would be more beneficial than in the evening. I posit that a high fasting insulin level in the morning (e.g., over 12) would probably only get a slight rise in insulin from a high-fat meal, but then the evening fasting insulin would be extra low. I compare that with eating the high-fat meal at night, which would raise insulin enough to approach the 14 level and prevent fat burning. In other words I think there could be the following two scenarios:

(1) Morning OMAD:
6:00 am: Insulin is 12+
EAT A HIGH-FAT OMAD
Insulin stays at the same 12+ level until the insulin resistance decreases
6:00 pm through 4:00 am: Perhaps insulin is 6-10 due to higher insulin sensitivity at night

(2) Evening OMAD:
6:00 am: Insulin is 12+
Insulin stays at the same 12+ level until insulin resistance decreases, but may be a bit lower than in scenario (1) due to not consuming a meal
6:00 pm: Insulin is perhaps 6-10.
EAT a HIGH-FAT OMAD
8:00 pm through 4:00 am: Insulin is higher in the 12+ range initially, but drops to 10. However it does not drop for long, since insulin resistance starts building up.

(Karen) #2

Also interested in this. I don’t have an insulin issue, as far as I know ( not diagnosed) so I am always interested in the responses of those that do.

K

Excellent monitoring of your body, I would agree with with your approach.

One spike/plateau of insulin a day is effectively giving your body more time in the fast duration.

(Ethan) #4

Right. That is a much better way of saying my theory, @Keigan. Essentially, I’d like a single (though maybe more pronounced) insulin spike as opposed to two blunted ones. I already do two 5-day fasts every month. I have periodically been adding in 48-hour “quick fasts” here and there in the month, but I am thinking of doing those morning OMADs, and maybe fat-only OMADs.

(Troy) #5

Question on this or comment I guess

For OMAD…In setting a time to eat or window

Ex.
OMAD at 4pm

1. are all the calories eaten at 4pm, then done eating at 430 or 5pm?..

2. are the calories spread out over a “ longer “ window 4pm to let’s say 6-8pm?..easier to spread out the OMAD

That’s the part that I’m just trying to get a better feel for

I have been doing #1 from above

(Dan Dan) #6

From what I have researched your eating (refueling) window is best in the afternoon to late evening (12- 8) which extends your sleeping fast and autophagy.

(Ethan) #7

Not if you are diabetic with dawn phenomenon, I’ve been positing. Eating in the morning would mean only a single insulin spike instead of two.

(Dan Dan) #8

Some have treated this by having their OMAD at 8pm a few hours before bed since the 'dawn phenomenon is believed to be caused by the liver reacting to low blood sugar while sleeping :thinking:

(Ethan) #9

That doesn’t seem right to me. I believe it’s because of cortisol and hgh release. Insulin resistance is usually much higher in the am for all people. In fact, if it were due to low blood sugar, it wouldn’t happen at all when fasting, but it does—though less pronounced.

(Mel Soule) #10

@EZB I too believe that is correct. Would make sense as a survival strategy in an uncertain food environment to conserve glucose for the brain. Anything we can do to reduce the area under the insulin curve helps. Piling things into the front end of the day is potentially a good strategy. Worth a try.

I am getting ready to try and randomize my feeding window during IF, which I do every day when not doing my monthly Zornfast. Going to use a pair of dice each night to determine tomorrows feeding window. Will do it for a week. Changing things up per @meganjramos suggestion on the breckinridge interview with @richard and @carl

(Mel Soule) #11

Tomorrows feeding window is 6 hours (LOL same as before) but will start at breakfast, not 2pm per normal.