Meal Replacement for college athlete

conversationstarters
newbies
food

(Tric Zyzyk) #1

Morning

My daughter is a college athlete who is in the midst of going Keto. Most days she has under control as far as what to eat. Most days her schedule allows for class, training, practice and eating properly - except for Thursday’s. Her Thursdays start at 6am with weight training and she doesn’t have a break until 5:30pm. Today she is being fueled on bacon alone. I personally could do that as I’ve been keto for over a year and totally fat adapted, she is not. And trainings and practices burns a lot of fuel.

I need a good keto friendly meal replacement shake that I could recommend to her. She is asking for my guidance on this. I recommended boiled eggs, tuna but she is set in a replacement.

Thanks in advance.

I’d look for the lowest carb whey protein powder (not ideal but if that’s what she wants) and throw in some HWC with the water.

(Ken) #3

Hard boiled eggs.

Bulletproof coffee.

You could add a protein powder if you wanted, but the fat in the coffee could sustain me indefinitely - certainly all day - with no need for protein additions.

Actually, I haven’t drunk coffee in over 2 years now, so it is probably more accurate to say that I would use bulletproof hot chocolate (water, erythritol, 100% cocoa powder, butter/cream/MCT oil, or whatever fat you like). But coffee drinkers wouldn’t need that tweak.

(Chris McRoberts) #5

Pea protein is low carb, but gross. Hard boiled eggs definitely

(Mike W.) #6

If she is just starting she should probably understand that there will likely be some loss of performance and fatigue until she is fat adapted.