Meal replacement Bar that contains IMO questions

(Reinhert) #1

I have been on the Keto Diet since Jan 1 and I’m doing great so far. I use the app Carb Manager as well.

I currently use Nature Fuel Keto Bars for breakfast. After reading up on IMO’s

Does the source of where a Isomalto-Oligosaccaride derived from have an impact on it being keto or not?

I have been reading a lot but I’m not sure how much of an impact IMO has it derives from Tapioca .

The particular brand of bar I mentioned says “SOLUBLE FIBER (ISOMALTO-OLIGOSACCHARIDE FROM TAPIOCA),”

I know the test Keto urine strips are not that accurate but I check them and Ketones are always present. This is the only product I use only for ease of use. If need be I can find another bar or you can suggest one?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

My guess: IMO is used to encapsulate fat molecules so they mix better with the other non-fat components of the item. Similar stuff like maltodextrin from tapioca and acacia is used in dry powder MCT oil products. Read the nutritional label to determine whether or not it’s significant in terms of carbs. Pay attention to the ‘serving size’, which is often used to make something look less than it really is.

As for using this stuff as a meal substitute, that’s your choice. Assuming it’s low carb and has a decent fat/protein ratio if it helps you start the day, I don’t see any issues. You could probably do better nutritionally with bacon and eggs for breakfast. My daily breakfast is a liter of ‘keto coffee’ and I just posted my recipe for another person here, if you’re interested.

Overall, however, you really don’t need to purchase ‘keto’ foodstuffs. They’re expensive and may include ingredients you don’t want to consume, like artificial sweeteners. You find plenty of keto friendly food on grocery shelves. Just read labels carefully, including the list of ingredients, not just the macro nutrition breakdown.

(Jane Srygley) #3

If you can just eat 1 per day, you may be ok. BHU bars and RawRev bars have this as a sweetener. One thing I’ve heard that makes sense is that you should only deduct half of the fiber if you are counting net carbs. I don’t trust them and am trying not to eat them anymore. If it tastes like candy, it’s candy :sob:

(Reinhert) #4

That’s what I’ll do. I also like the post about the Keto coffee you make so Ill try that.

Thank you both for your input. Its very misleading especially with the other expensive brand Keto Perfect where they even highlight Tapioca Fiber in the bars.

Ok , I hope I didn’t screw up to bad. Luckily i wasn’t kicked out of keto.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

RE my keto coffee. I am currently seeking an alternate whey source since both products I’m now using contain a lot of stuff I can live without. I use 14 grams of whey powder, so those other things are certainly not a deal breaker or even much of an issue. But if I can get good whey powder without a lot of additives I’ll go for it.

(Windmill Tilter) #6

It probably won’t knock you out of ketosis, but you’d be hard pressed to find a more expensive, more heavily processed way to get 200kcal. Each bar looks like a $3.00 science experiment. On top of that, they have 6g net carbs!

Option 1 would be to eat an 1 oz of peanuts, which has about the same fat/protein/kcals and just 4g net carbs. That would run you about 15 cents. Spend the $2.85 you just saved on 1lb of 73/27 hamburger which will net you 1400kcals, 68g protein, and 124g fat. That’s basically a days worth of actual keto food for the same price as a single “faux keto” bar.

Option 2 would be to put 1/4 cup of heavy cream in your coffee for about 25 cents. You’d miss the 7g of protein the bar offers, but that’s basically a single bite of hamburger during a proper meal. It doesn’t really matter when you get your protein during the day.

The more real food you eat, the better keto seems to work.

(Troy Mitchell) #7

Here is what I do in the morning. I drink a Premier Protein shake for breakfast. I add 2 tablespoons of MCT oil in it. This brings the protein and fat to about 30 grams apiece for 3 net carbs. I add 1 tablespoon of psyllium husks powder to my lemon lime caffeinated beverage which adds another net carb but gives me 7 grams of fiber. The shake is about $1.50. The other add one probably cost less than a dollar. So for about $2.50 I get a good quick solid meal (5:00 a.m. comes early).

I do, however look forward to the weekend when I have time to cook bacon and eggs.