MCT oil and digestion issues

Hello! So I should first say that after diving in head first into a strict keto diet I determined that it wasn’t entirely right for me. I have, however, pulled some aspects of the keto diet into my daily routine, such as strict sugar restrictions and a much lower, but not highly restrictive, carb intake.

I have also taken to a morning ritual of keto coffee, in my case, MCT (or coconut) oil, ghee, heavy cream, with a pinch of cacao powder. Unfortunately my digestion gets a but rough using MCT oil. I’ve read about ways to counter this, including more fiber, but nothing seems to help. When I use coconut oil I’m fine. I know MCT is a cleaner fuel source, but honestly, at this point I’d rather use coconut oil and bypass the GI problems.

But I was curious if anyone had a possibly work around for GI problems when using MCT oil.

Thanks

(Allie) #2

Reduce the amount right down until your body is used to it then gradually increase. Some people can only tolerate half a teaspoon to start with. The body adapts quickly to it.

(Jo O) #3

Or switch to C8 Caprylic.
No personal experience but understand it’s not as bad as MCT oil.

(Alan Williamson) #4

I use the MCT Oil Powder. I can use more of it and don’t get any GI problems.

(Allie) #5

Yes it’s much better in several ways

Thanks, Allie. I actually did that. I started on coconut oil for a couple weeks, then switched to MCT, going small and working up to a tablespoon, but no more. I’ve since gone back to coconut oil and my stomach is back to normal. I know it’s not as clean as MCT, but not sure my gut can handle MCT at all. Or maybe go back and forth between coconut and MCT.

Interesting, I’ll look into the powder. Thanks!

I’ve been using the powder and find I can have several Tbsp a day with no problems.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use coconut oil, though. It’s not “less clean” than pure MCT, but it’s only about 2/3 MCT and the rest is other healthy oils. I really think either one is a good choice.

(Andrew) #9

How can real food be worse exactly?

(Duncan Kerridge) #10

You really don’t need to take MCT oil, I used it to start with because everyone else seemed to be but when I ran out I didn’t replace it and noticed absolutely no difference in my energy / mood / weight loss / anything. What benefits are you getting from it?

(Michael ) #11

If you’re referring to mct vs. Coconut, the body is able to utilize medium chain triglyceride easier from mct oil. Obviously nothing wrong with coconut oil though…i personally hate the taste. Interestingly, i like coconut but not as an oil

(Michael ) #12

Definitely not necessary. Medium chain triglycerides are the fastest way to get energy on keto and have very low insulin response. I have started using them at the gym when fasting. I’m comparing energy with mct fast vs real fast and definitely more energy and better mood with mct, but that’s not very scientific. Just my experiences…and i would just take the coconut oil but i hate it

MCT oil is not natural. It’s highly chemically processed after the lauric acid is removed whereas coconut oil is natural. Just a thought.

(Bunny) #14

I had problems with this at first but here is what I noticed after making these adjustments:

1. Bone Broth Fasting (heals leaky gut).

2. Gut flora and adaption to plant fiber.

3. Apple Cider Vinegar & Lemon Juice

4. Ox Bile from grass fed OX (organic)

5. Refrigeratored live acidophilus cultures.

6. Taurine

7. Milk Thistle.

Have no problem handling the MCT Oil or Coconut Fat (I eat this too in my keto fat bombs) or any other kind of fat now!

The main reason I switched to begin with was reading about lauric acid being slightly slower to digest in your body as it’s supposedly not a true MCT. I don’t assume everything I read is fact, but thought I’d try MCT oil instead. Funny thing is I have better energy after drinking coconut oil vs MCT oil. Think I’ll just stick with coconut as I like the taste as well.

No particular benefit vs coconut oil. I actually have better energy with coconut oil. But MCT oil gives me really bad gas and rather uncomfortable poops.

I’ve been doing some of this for a while. Make my own beef bone broth and have a couple cups a day, along with ACV in water in the mornings. My digestion has never been an issue until I tried MCT oil. I’m guessing my system just isn’t cut out for it.

Think I’m going to have to either give up MCT oil or use it very sparingly and only a tiny bit at at time. It seems to randomly mess me up. It’s funny, one day I can handle it in my coffee, next day it might put my stomach through a wild ride.

Not all MCT’s are created equal. In fact there’s more garbage ones than good ones out there. The C8 chain MCT’s are your good ones. Easy to spot not only because these days people promote them that way, their noticeable more expensive. BUT typically easier on the system as well. You should still start slower with them. You speak of Coconut oil and MCT oil as two different things, there not. Coconut oil typically mostly the C12 chain with the rest being C10, C6 and a little bit of C8. So when your use Coconut Oil, you ARE using MCT oil, just a different form. My issue with crappier MCT oils has mostly been crap taste, and no notifiable difference. My wife’s stomach didn’t tolerate many of them. The one I’m using now is the KetoMCT brand which has a near neutral taste, noticeable when I take it pre workout and has screwed with my wifes stomach yet. So far I’ll probably stick with that for a while.