McDonalds Pattie experiment

Hi CaptainKirk! How ya been? Hope all is going well for you!!

LOL. funny! Long trips give me stress also, old days driving was fun for my freedom, now it is just a traffic jungle nightmare most times :slight_smile:

I would be interested in knowing the ingredients in these fast food patties. And how they were cooked, with butter or vegetable seed oils. I love Aberdeen Angus burgers and buy 3 boxes (4 burgers in each) when I can in the supermarket, the only ingredients salt and pepper. But whenever I’m near a McDonalds, when I’m out and about, I always shun the place, as it’s fast food. In fact when out and about I tend to take my own food with me because I struggle to find things to eat. Meats containing nitrites and natrates, or dextrose, is for me a no.

(Jane) #43

So you can’t eat bacon? :anguished:

Hi Janie. No, although I love bacon, I gave it up. The nitrites and nitrates don’t agree with me. But I still eat fatty pork, chicken and beef, fish and seafood and eggs, plenty of good tasty things to eat🙂

(Jane) #45

According to MacDonald’s they say they use 100% beef and only add salt and pepper. Up to you as to whether you believe them or not :wink:

No reason to add nitrates to hamburger - it isn’t cured and is cooked from raw meat.

Hi Janie. It might be an eat out option then when I’m out and about, but I would like to know how McDonalds cook their burgers, in butter or in vegetable seed oils, margarine. I shudder to think of eating food cooked in the latter. Butter remains the king in my house, of cooking fats. Then again, when I cook my favourite Aberdeen Angus burgers I just put them in the grill, add nothing, perhaps McDonalds do the same. I will look into it.

(Bob M) #47

Although I love bacon, I don’t eat it because I always overeat it. Like nuts. Or yogurt and berries.

Aren’t bacons insanely salty everywhere…?

Though I shouldn’t talk now, we opened the smoked ham we bought and I could eat it just fine despite its almost 5% salt content (not alone but almost). I guess I will have salt aversion in a few days if I keep it up. I just tasted the thing and already doubled my sodium intake…

Btw even without ever planning to eat McDonald’s anything, I am mildly curious about what goes into the patties… I won’t research it but if you have info, I read it.
My trust in food industry in general is moderate.

(Kirk Wolak) #49

Samer here… My wife got angry. I cooked 3lbs of bacon.
When I was done, there were almost 10 slices left…

I don’t know the upper limit on bacon for me.
But it also seems to raise my BP… So it’s in the “best to avoid” category.
I try to stick with Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf… At least it’s hard to eat all the bacon
with that much BEEF backing it up!

(Doug) #50

Are people saying that there is some kind of a limit on bacon? :face_with_raised_eyebrow::smile:

(Kirk Wolak) #51

They are All-Beef Patties. Someone else wrote they add salt and pepper.
And they simply fry them on a flat surface. I always preferred the Whopper because of the Flame Broiling.

(Kirk Wolak) #52

Then they found that if they PULVERIZED the chose. They same amount of food would cause even greater weight gain. (Makes me think of flour and powdered sugar).

But chemically, we know BOTH things matter. Carbs and Processing.
And combining those two is really bad, as the above study showed.

The other problem with “blending/pulverizing” is that it is far easier to drink calories.
Anything that drives an insulin release is risky. It’s why IF works as well as it does.

Thanks! That’s surprisingly good sounding…

And I know my limit on bacon. 60g :slight_smile: I need to push it but I manage if I put my mind on it!
This amount requires 3-6 eggs to handle the saltiness. It’s still a very small meal but I definitely don’t want more bacon afterwards.
I probably could eat much more in striped bacon form fried into an enjoyable crunch but even then, it’s just too salty.

I can eat 1000g pork shoulder in a day though. Did twice and always was super careful afterwards. That amount is perfect for me with 2g salt. I handle saltier things (good as almost everything is saltier than my roasts) but I do have my limit.
It must be something else too as I eat other salted pork items in bigger amounts. Maybe I just don’t like bacon? The one I am willing to buy? Maybe some expensive stuff would be different?
One day I try to buy something probably really good. And hopefully won’t eat much of it :wink:

Bacon wrapping is neat. But frying it alone produces the ultimate crunch… There is no such thing as too much crunch to me.

(Jane) #54

Must have been recently since you posted on the Intermittent Fasting thread on March 10 that you ate a plate of bacon and cheese for lunch. :wink:

(Doug) #55

This is a good point. A sharper, higher insulin peak versus stuff that takes longer to digest. Presumably, the longer-to-digest stuff would have a lower peak but a longer period of elevation - and for many things it’s ‘the area under the curve’ that matters. But perhaps not in this case.

Hi Janie, yes it was recently. As recently as I gave up the cheese. I replaced the heavy whipping cream, the cheese and the normal salted butter with local raw grassfed milk and KerryGold salted grassfed butter. But I still eat plenty of fatty pork that doesn’t have nitrates and nitrites, like pork chops and pork shoulder joints. Only occasionally (because it’s expensive) I get pork belly. And plenty of other meats as well, I don’t feel sorry for myself at all, loving the good foods🙂

(Jane) #57

I love pork belly! Hard to find around here but when I do I pick up a couple of packages.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #58

As Mae West famously said, “Too much of a good thing is just about right.” :grin:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #59

It also destroys the fibre, so it’s no longer there to slow absorption of the sugar and carbohydrate. It’s why we strongly recommend against fruit smoothies. At least the whole fruit has some fibre.

Yeah, if we wanna easily drink calories (as it can be a very useful thing), be it fat and protein like my more substantial drinks! :wink:

I either drink my fruit juice in tiny amounts (so no problem getting all the sugar quickly) or frozen (that’s good… and still a small amount). So all is well :slight_smile: It doesn’t feel bad unlike eating a whole apple or something (not always but has a big chance). I don’t do that often.