McDonalds Pattie experiment

(Kirk Wolak) #61

No, this is EXACTLY the point. Dr. Unwin from the UK gave this presentation.
His point was that the huge spike produced a much bigger AUC (area under the curve).
And that the slower digested food tends to produce a single insulin spike, unless you keep eating. (so, as long as the glucose is not really high, and you stop eating, you usually wont get the second hit of insulin)

Which, FWIW, is why drinking sweet (diet) sodas long after a meal is detrimental for many.
The body mistakes this for nutrition, and keeps spitting out insulin, which blocks your access to stored energy.

(Doug) #62

Good stuff, Kirk - I didn’t know that. I wasn’t sure which would have the larger AUC. Something like powdered sugar, though - can you imagine?! :smile: That’s going to be Spike City.

(Jane) #63

Here are 3 graphs from my GCM (read consistently 20 point lower than my prick meter):

Fasting

Typical day (more carbs at lunch than dinner)

First plate of Thai fried rice in 5 years :astonished:

In my college days I could use my calculus skills to calculate the area under the curve, but now computers do that for you. My eyeball calculator agrees that the sharp spike produced more insulin.

(Eve) #64

Don’t eat bacon or other foods with nitrates and nitrites either as they just don’t agree with me also l try to avoid too many chemicals

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #65

Since a lot of plants contain nitrates and nitrites, that’s a good reason to consider a carnivore diet. :grin:

Hi Eve, I went off pork and chicken, as the meats started to feel displeasing. Instead my body wants to only eat beef right now, and lamb, it feels so good to be eating all that beef. But my WOE is neither carnivore nor ketowore, nor is it really keto, though I do believe it is still ketogenic as my body still feels like it’s in ketosis. I drink a couple of small glasses of raw grassfed milk (from a local farm) daily, and I have some raw honey (also from the farm) in my WOE, and I will incorporate some small amount of fruit, say mango, as well. So it will be more like Dr. Paul Saladino’s animal based WOE, I suppose, except my amounts of fruit will be tiny compared to his, a quarter of a mango a day before my morning walk. I wish to experiment after 6 months on a ketogenic WOE with regards to my insulin sensitivity and see if I’ll still remain in ketosis.

(Luke) #67

Hi there. I’m in Australia and they say that the Mc Donald’s burgers are made from 100% beef here. They probably have quite a good fat content as well, Dr berg eats a lot of shop bought hamburger Pattie’s as well because they have higher fat , than say a lean steak. Definitely good evidence it’s the bun chips and large coke that do the damage. I still like to get all my keto listed veggies in as well although I can see on here that people are doing quite well off eating nothing but meat. Extraordinary and fascinating to me.

(Doug) #68

:smile: Indeed.