McDonalds Pattie experiment

Dave Macleod. Professional rock climber with a Masters in Nutrition ate only McDonalds beef patties for a month.

Check it out on YouTube. It’s great evidence that it wasn’t the beef in Super Size Me that caused a problem, it was the Bun!

A very informed video from someone who has been Keto for 6 years and has found remissions in eczema and Mental Health whilst maintaining professional levels of climbing performance.

Find and enjoy.

(Marianne) #2

Was that Sperling? I forgot his first name.

(Doug) #3

Morgan Spurlock - ‘Supersize Me.’

From 1 Feb to 2 March 2003 Morgan Spurlock ate only McDonalds food to highlight the effect junk food had on the American people. He averaged 5600 calories a day and put on 24lbs/11Kg.

Dave Macleod ate McDonalds beef patties only for 8 weeks, lost 6lb/3kg, maintained physical and mental health and avoided training so as to avoid any effect it would have on the experiment. On returning to training he set a new PB on one of his training aids. He maintained his outdoor climbing throughout.

Besides the benefits of Keto/Carnivore Dave also points out the effect of fast food chains on the British public for profit and calls on them to improve the quality of their nutrition to improve both physical and mental health and well-being.

I for one won’t set foot in a junk food restaurant again.

Kelly Hogan, zero carb, has eaten like 10 McD burgers per day for like 10 plus years. I also have eaten alot of fast food naked burgers for years on zc. While she still loves them, I don’t enjoy them much anymore but while in travel on the road, oh yea, I would eat some if needed.

interesting on the info about the experiment, but one I definitely understand.

(Bob M) #6

You can eat in a lot of fast food restaurants, just stick mainly to meat. If you do a search for “keto” and “restaurant I’d like to eat at”, you can often find things to eat, some of which are known but aren’t explicitly on the menu.

For instance, here’s one link you get if you search “keto chipotle”:

(KM) #7

I go back and forth with the same issue in my mind. These days, a “SAD” diet is a processed commercial food diet, basically. Are natural carbs really to blame for making us sick, or is it what’s being done to the food that’s the real problem. If it’s the carbs, then voila, eat at McD’s and throw away the bun, eat at Chipotle and get a salad with chicken. But if it’s all the other insidious crap and processing methods, that patty’s probably not as innocent as it may look, and that low carb dressing isn’t a blessing, although on the surface it might be better in terms of direct glucose / insulin response and less obesogenic.

Yea me too. years ago I went back and forth til I went brain dead over it all LOL

I gave up. I now eat what I FEEL is great for me, I can eat while traveling and what suits me and once I allowed that I function thru life alot easier. When I went ‘all about everything only great for me’ I freaked out on my toothpaste, my shampoo, my ‘buy grass fed’ meats only and all that insanity I found it to be for me. I realized I went ‘way to the other side’ and for me, a person with ‘issues on control’ and don’t see gray areas, I am all in black and white person, it literally started to drive me insane. Yea I had to let it go and let ME just eat as I required and let some ‘crap food of this life’ probably function ok for me and if it did, yea I ate it willingly and with a smile on my face.

I know one thing, there are places I WILL not stop for naked burgers cause they are junk in taste to me compared to others. My hubby thinks I am batsh** crazy in a way but we have to ‘find my only’ fast food or chains I will allow myself to eat on the road thru travel and more…luckily he is one who understands and we always find the places I will allow to eat cause I can handle the taste and do fine on them.

But yes, I know that feeling big time and had ‘to walk’ me thru it to find me in all the mess out there and how my brain was overthinking about it all kinda.

(KM) #9

Lol, yeah. From the woman who’s currently making her own toothpaste and deodorant, I hear ya.:blush:

(Jane) #10

Chipotle’s is my go-to restaurant when I am travelling on business!

I get the burrito bowl with no rice, no beans… Pick out a meat and add cheese, sour cream, guacamole and salsa. Totally keto!

(Jane) #11

And fries if he ate them. I haven’t seen the documentary so don’t know what ate.

:partying_face::partying_face::100::crazy_face:

ohhhhh no truly!!! :scream_cat::wave:

I did it all too…I also went that route and believe me when I backed off I felt better but don’t get me wrong, I still ‘kept’ some of my ‘going all green/natural’ and all that on cleaners I make and don’t buy LOL

It was like I almost went too far and the brain snapped and said, ohmygosh, just DO me as I need. I now use reg. old toothpaste and do fine on it with the teeth thru the years and have no issues doing it but ya won’t get me to buy deli meat anymore LOL Any deli meat is now out of my life point blank other than maybe I might eat some salami, but heck I stopped buying that like a year ago. I now find that ‘processed for me’ as ‘less than food’ and I figure eat real food I make, why have them give me ‘less than’ but I so feel ya on it all!!!

Hard balance of life on convenience of products, which products, how do we wanna change for what issues we feel and more…oh yea I SO get you LOL

(KM) #13

I guess we all have our setpoint for this stuff as well. My MIL gave me a twee little glass bottle of dental floss one year, because she’s so obsessed with plastic. I’m pretty sure the plastic pollution issue isn’t revolving around a 2" plastic box that lasts me 5 years. “Probably a good idea” slipped into “oh will you give me a break” in about 2 minutes. :sweat_smile:

ohh do not get me going on the ‘entire carbon footprint’ of a product. Just one little product and the economic issues on that product for jobs and families incomes down to the emissions for production to ‘what it took’ for those materials to be made into that product and then degration and soil pollution of the product degrading and and and and…oh yea I went that route and one reason I went a bit brain dead on it all.

In the end I found I can only do me as I feel I can allow or waive thru some issues ya know on what I buy thru my dollar but my little old dollar don’t mean much in this big bad world ya know…if all others dollars goes to XYZ and my little ol $ won’t…it shows not much ya know but I know for me what I wanna do in my life so I try…but it is massive monster issue on the entire Earth and there isn’t a doubt on that one to me.

Too funny she is not ‘plastic’ but hey more power to her on she took her stance…let her have her stance HAHA It is all kinda any one can do thru the big crazy that is happening in our civilization I guess.

(KM) #15

We actually have a very nice little MO going: she carefully vets and provides me with “quality” laundry and dish soap that lasts all year as my Christmas present. I’m fine with using this stuff, it cuts down on my cost and who knows, maybe it makes a difference, it certainly doesn’t hurt me. I’m just a hard pass on the dental floss. :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

Short answer: Yes. Both the processing and the carbohydrate cause problems.

I like the way they say ‘no salad necessary’ in that article :slight_smile:
very true there are great places with great tastes to suit us still on eating ‘out there’…heck alot of us still DO wanna eat out and about for enjoyment of life, we just gotta walk the best places near us to eat!

(KM) #18

Are we sure about that? Because practically every study I come across, the carbs are not natural. Mice in experiments are fed ‘mouse chow’ or a variant, uniform but completely unnatural foods. People report their carbs, sure, but even if they’re accurate, is that boxed mashed potatoes, or baked organic russets. I’m not saying it makes a difference, I’m saying it could.

Is eating junk food supporting the production of food that is harmful to the general public?

I do love a burger and fries but is it the right place to shop for food ethically???

There’s lots of points:

Is there education in nutrition?

Can I eat healthy on the road? Answered already?

Does the government support affordable good food production?

Is there a way of sending this message to the Corporations?

NAH we are screwed. as it has been going down for centuries now when the ‘industrial age’ and more. ‘fast food’ places started in like 1921. So in that century what changed? A gazillion things changed :slight_smile: is there a fix to it all? Nah again say screwed but only thru what we purchase does our intent show in this global world…so…all about supply and demand on where the bucks flow shows anything and only then will it ‘disappear’. No money to support product, gonzo, money thrown at a product…has a long life to live.

just how I see it all…:slight_smile: too many many questions against such a massive massive issue. Good post @Mr_Red_Fox