Mayo - is it bad to consume regular mayo?

(Arie1985uk ) #1

I know the soybean oil issue with keto or “dirty keto” is a problem for many, can I ask what’s your opinion about regular mayo? Is it okay or not?

(Bob) #2

I used it for years when I was doing Atkin’s and Keto and have never been aware of any problems from using it. It was until this year when I learned about clean keto, ketovore, carnivore that I started hearing things about seed oils.

So today, I have switched to a pure avocado oil mayonnaise. I’ve seen recipes for making your own bacon grease mayo and such but I’m a bit too lazy to bother, lol.

Your answer probably comes down to how much do you use it, and have you tried eliminating seed oils altogether yet to see if you can document any differences.

(Arie1985uk ) #3

Thanks, I’m considering really buying this avocado oil mayo, it seems like sureketo even indicates it’s a great product.

(Bob M) #4

Some people think the original mayo tastes better. I never ate mayo before keto, so I think the keto mayo (from coconut or avocado oil) is fine. But there are quite a few discussions on here where people dislike it.

(Pete A) #5

I eat a generous teaspoon everyday with lunch. For years. Works for me.

I ate mayo a few times before keto (never at home as we never used any)… Never liked it.
I still don’t eat mayo but mine made with lard is not bad :wink: (If that half yolk thing can be considered mayo :smiley: I like my food very very yolky and normal mayo is way too fatty anyway.) Of course, it’s my personal taste. But I started to make most things all by myself when I left high-carb and my items got evolved with my taste and blacklist changes this way… I like that.

I am big on “amounts matter” but some items I like to avoid if possible. If not, I eat it a few times a year at a relative and don’t worry about it. I survived eating a tonne of sunflower oil in my first 3.5 decades (and still felt pretty healthy), a tiny bit of not so great food very occasionally can’t noticeably harm me. I just don’t eat it if it’s easy to avoid and I don’t feel I miss out.
So it’s up to everyone to decide what is worth it IMO.

(Bob M) #7

The issue with PUFAs (polyunsaturated fatty acids) is that we don’t really understand what they’re doing to us. Switching to “keto” mayo is a way of reducing PUFAs.

For instance, here’s a study of fat and lipid peroxidation, indicating these cause inflammation:

I’ve seen people who believe lipid peroxidation is the cause of atherosclerosis. Something like this study perhaps:

Anyway, there’s no way to know how much PUFA is good or bad, or whether this peroxidation is something to be concerned about.

Personally, I try to avoid foods high in PUFAs, but sometimes that’s not possible.

(Brian) #8

It’s not something I use a lot of so don’t get too worried about it. At home, we use an off brand (can’t remember which) that doesn’t use soybean oil, which my wife is mildly allergic to.

I have made my own a few times with either olive oil or avocado oil but either one has a taste that I’m not that fond of. Haven’t tried it with coconut oil or butter or another kind of oil (if those are even possible).

If it were a diet staple, I’d probably be more interested in figuring something out. It’s definitely not difficult to make.

(Joey) #9

I’m with @Dismal_Bliss on the avocado mayo switch.

There are some dishes/recipes where mayo is a must. Being used to that “Hellmans/Best” taste, we struggled to find a non-soybean oil mayo with similar taste and consistency - until we found Primal Kitchen (avocado mayo) brand.

BTW, they also make a fabulous “spicy” mayo version that’s now made its way into mealtime as a side condiment.

Happy hunting.

p.s. - Is regular soybean-based oil “bad”? Well, as with most food things, it’s a matter of how much, how often, and how important “clean” eating is - whatever that might actually mean. :man_shrugging:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

The issue with products made with industrial seed oils is (a) the high ω-6 content, which causes inflammation, and (b) the polyunsaturated fatty acids they contain that we did not evolve to eat. Those PUFA’s affect our cells in unpredictable ways, usually bad ones.

As far as ω-6 fatty acids go, Dr. Stephen Phinney’s quip is useful here: "The problem with the standard American diet is not to get enough ω-6, it’s to avoid getting too much."

If you can’t find a commercial mayonnaise that suits you, it’s very easy to make your own. There are several recipes in our Recipes forum, as I recall, including a yummy one made with bacon grease.

(Alec) #11

I used to work in the seed oil industry (and in a way, still do :disappointed:). Anything made with seed oils is to be avoided. My view is that the body can handle them in small quantities and irregularly, but every day consumption? I would not do that.

As Paul said, if you can make some yourself with bacon grease or butter, that would be ideal. If you can do that, you can eat it to your heart’s content (literally!).

There’s nothing wrong with normal mayo. Even good Avacado mayo’s (there’s a few I like) aren’t replacements for the real thing. People like to do the overly dramatic thing with seed oils like they’re running from the Grim Reaper… sorry, that’s stupid. Normal amounts of mayo, seed oils, all the scary “industrial byproduct” nonsense is just that. Are they “healthy”, not really. Are they going to make a difference in the amount you use them? Highly doubt it. I’ve never seen a difference in anything whether using them or not. Have you? Every inflammation marker I’ve ever checked doesn’t seem to care, why should I?

That said, if you were making a recipe that had tons of mayo, using an Avacado one may be the better fit, maybe. Everything I use mayo on is nothing more than a condiment amount of it, I don’t know about you, but last time I checked the human body isn’t that fragile. Small amounts of the bad stuff isn’t moving the needle, can’t compare stuff like that to most of our prior lives eating SAD and constantly bombarding it with nothing but terrible things, it’s two different worlds.

(Joey) #13

Luckily, our bodies aren’t that fragile. I’m guessing we’ve both survived decades of dietary (and other) abuse.

But I’m often reminded that not all folks are as fortunate - perhaps due to unlucky genetic dice or lowered tolerance for ill effects based on their own prior abuse.

Food for thought.

(Bob) #14

I order that once and within a week of opening it had separated and looked gross.

I use Sir Kensington’s Avacado Oil Mayo. I can get it down the street at the local grocer.

Both of those are the only ones I like when it comes to Avacado’s. The Sir Kenington will separate on you too sometimes, no emulsifiers to stop them from doing that. I just put 1 beater on a hand mixer and that’s corrected quick enough! I do the same with Peanut Butter.

(Joey) #16

Oddly enough, I had the opposite experience so far … a miserable “separation” problem with Sir Kensington where I couldn’t stir it up enough to get the ingredients to regroup.

OTOH, when Primal Kitchen separates in the fridge after a long time of not using any, I can quickly stir it all back together to its original form.

Then again, whatever it is they put in brands like Hellmans/Best that keeps it together for months on end at any temperature might give us both pause :wink:

(Geoffrey) #17

Anything made with seed oils is not good and should be avoided unless you just don’t care.

(Arie1985uk ) #18

I wanted to let you know I tried today “Chosen Foods Classic Mayo MADE WITH 100% Pure Avocado Oil” (got it in Walmart) - it tastes great, and it’s pure keto, that’s a really great product! I love using it with boiled eggs, it’s delicious, thanks for your suggestions here.

(KM) #19

They also make one with a blue label called Keto mayo (I’d usually avoid anything with Keto right on the label, but in this case I made an exception.). Coconut oil. My personal fave.

(Allie) #20

I use regular mayo without any issues, but others refuse to.
It’s really about what works for you.