May 2020 IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Bacon for the Win) #41

I am so frustrated with this forum. Tried to log in before going to work and no go. Anything with the word “keto” is blocked at work, go figure.

But we’re here now! I’m at almost 43 hours, feeling pretty ok. We got this!

(Tamela Robinette) #42

Yeah I saw in the keto chat thread that Richard posted the harddrive is full which is causing issues. They are going to install a new one in the next week or so. Hopefully that will fix the issue. I’m not having any tummy growling this morning, just a really dry mouth. I had my ketoaid this morning and have been sipping coffee and water. We’re gonna cruise through this next 24 hours!

I haven’t fasted in months. I had supper at 6:30 last night (Tuesday) and am planning on fasting until at least 3 pm Thursday. Typically, I do TMAD, but want weight loss.

I’ve been walking 3.5 - 4 miles most days and have been hungrier as a result. I’ve probably strengthened muscles a bit, but still have a lot of fat to lose. So here it goes. I’ve put this in writing. Hopefully the forums will stay up so I can check in again tomorrow. :grinning:

(Tamela Robinette) #44

Good luck! You got this!

(Mame) #45

Wishing all fasters well on this fine Wednesday.

I will be trying for a nice 26+ hour fast tomorrow, I will be out of the house and prepared for anything :slight_smile: Small is good for me right now.

kcfo!

(KCKO, KCFO) #46

Yes, error 500 keeps coming up. I PMed Richard, he is in the middle of real life stuff, graduating and prepping to begin his Phd. He is aware and has a plan to replace some hardware, but it will take some time.

If would probably be helpful if more people joined the Patron account for the forums, since hardware isn’t free:
https://www.patreon.com/ketogenicforums/posts

(Tamela Robinette) #47

Done!

(KCKO, KCFO) #48

Thanks I hope others will join as well.

(Tamela Robinette) #49

Yeah me too. It’s a very minimal amount and if it keeps the forums going it’s worth it!

(Bacon for the Win) #50

@Robinette71

how’s your day? I slept just ok, it’s never good during the day. When do you end your fast? Leaving soon for work, won’t have access until home in the morning. Just checking in first.

(Tamela Robinette) #51

Well unfortunately I did not make it to 72 hours or 96. I made 69. Even with electrolytes and plenty of tea, coffee and water I developed a severe headache and some mild dizziness so I broke just now. I will still check in and support you and I will probably have lunch tomorrow and then start fasting again😁

My fasting regimen seems to be a little “off”. Had been doing IF and EF pretty routinely, but I think some of the stress associated with this whole virus scenario messed things up a bit. The work hours increased as a few co-workers went on 12 week-leave during the virus episode. Stressed increased, as did the cortisol production. Stress eating has been a battle to control. Doing okay now, hours are a little more manageable, stress is lower. Its been over a month since I did a 36 hr fast. So, the plan is to conquer 24 hours and see where we go from there. 8pm today will be 24 hours. I will need support to go further, as I recognize my own weaknesses. So…I’ll be back! =)
Cheers!

(Tamela Robinette) #53

How you doing NelleG? I hope you are coasting through! Here is a bit of positive news, I lost 4 pounds on my 69 hour fast and even after refeeding yesterday afternoon I didn’t rebound! I plan on eating 2 meals in a 4 hour window early today and jumping right back in. I am on vacation starting at 5 p.m. Friday for a whole week and that will be a struggle because the hubby doesn’t practice keto or fasting but I’m going to press on!
@SecondBreakfast I think that has been a problem for everyone during this pandemic, everyone’s stress level is through the roof which leads to easing of fasting and stress eating. We are rooting for you! Keep us posted!

Good morning! Tamela, sounds like you made the right decision to stop since you weren’t feeling well. Good call. Do you fast frequently? I’ve been thinking of doing alternate day fasting (if I can push myself into it) for weight loss.

I was tempted to skip the fasting last night and just have supper with my family, but I was feeling well, so I resisted and had a cup of hot herbal tea instead. I slept well. I’m feeling good. I won’t eat until late this afternoon unless I begin feeling bad.

Yesterday I ate a lot of salt and took magnesium supplements, as usual. I ate salt whenever I felt the need for it, when I have a strong “taste” for it.

When I weighed myself yesterday morning I was up to 170! :astonished:

It must have been water weight. I don’t have any idea why I am retaining water, but I must be. This morning when I weighed myself (same type of clothes, different set) I weighed in at 163.8. So, I must have lost water.

I do speed walk 3.5 - 4 miles most days, and did walk 3.5 miles yesterday; that is something I do regularly.

My husband has been working from home so I’ve enjoyed his company on my walks. I think he enjoys walking with me and seems very pleased to go with me when he can. He used to beg me to walk with him (before keto) and I was always too out of breath to walk very far or fast. So different now!

Anyway, I will weigh again tomorrow morning to see how much I actually keep off. I do weigh my self twice when I weigh myself, to be certain about the number.

Thanks for “listening”. I’ll press on until this afternoon and keep myself busy.

(Tamela Robinette) #55

It’s funny you say that about retaining water, sometimes when I’m fasting and taking in extra salt my feet swell and I retain water. It’s weird. I have fasted regularly in the past but I am just getting back into it after a 6 month hiatus. I really fell off the wagon and had gotten up to 173 pounds. I’ve managed to get back down to 159 with strict keto and fasting. Last year I was down to 140 and that’s the weight I am comfortable at. I’ll get there, slowly but surely. I walk a lot too as well as lift weights 3 days a week. That really helps prevent the flabby skin as you lose the weight. You’re lucky your husband will walk with you. My husband doesn’t exercise at all! I hope you coast to your goal! Have a great day!

I lift weights too for upper body, mostly. And I do push-ups. I do have a LOT of flabby skin from rapid weight loss over the first year of Keto. So I’ve started adding beef collagen once a day to my tea and am hopeful that fasting more often will help with the flab.

I’m not sure what I do that causes water retention. It might be too much salt or it might be not enough salt. I just don’t know. But some days my ankles are swollen and it annoys me. I definitely take in less salt when I fast, so perhaps I’m salt sensitive.

As far as my husband walking with me, he has been surprised I am as strong as I am and seems to enjoy the difference. I do walk farther when he is with me, because I get a bit bored when I walk alone. When I go alone I listen to an audio book or music, but it’s not the same. Then after he walks with me he goes back out and runs another 6 or more miles! :smile: But I don’t run.

I would like to ride a bike, I think, but I don’t know how. I’m embarrassed to learn out in the open where my neighbors can watch. I know, silly, but still. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Bacon for the Win) #57

69 hours is impressive, nothing to sneeze at! And to be down 4 pounds is even better. I like your plan going forward. I still need to iron out mine after this fast. Been working tues wed thurs nights, but next week is sun mon tues. I don’t know if that’s enough time after ending this tomorrow to start again saturday night. I may do something different next week, we’ll see.

Anyhow, was having food thoughts last night, then a colleague who is also fasting came by and gave me just the boost I needed. Pretty sure I can coast til 2 PM tomorrow now.

Robinette do you have any plans for vacation?

(Tamela Robinette) #58

Fasting and the collagen should definitely help! Maybe have the hubby load the bike up and take you to an empty parking lot like on a Sunday morning when some places are closed and learn to ride there?

(Tamela Robinette) #59

I am glad your coworker helped you push through! I’ve also thought about doing an alternate day fast. Might try that next week. I generally only IF on weekends so maybe after my last meal Sunday afternoon I’ll shoot for 36 and try to do 2 more 36 hours during the week. It is my 10th wedding anniversary and we were supposed to go on a 8 day cruise. Since that was cancelled we decided on a camping trip so we can social distance but still be outside. I’m really looking forward to it!

(Mame) #60

Indeed one of my goals right now is to not give into emotional eating. I figure if I can do it now during a pandemic I am golden. (a work in progress) So I have not fussed about the fasting.

Even though I have weight to lose 37# I do not maintain losses post fast, even when I went 9 days! I like to fast though for metabolic health and cellular clean up.

So, I am actually in the office today and I will see if I can fast 24+ hours… so I am with you @SecondBreakfast Let’s see what we can do!

kcfo