May 2020 IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Jane) #1

Starting a new thread for May.

All fasters welcome who need support. IF/EF

(Jane) #2

I started a 36-hr fast today tonight. Anyone else fasting??? Stressful times so not surprised if not many takers.

(Susan) #3

I wish you success (not that you need it, you are amazing with your fasting), Janie =).

I am planning on doing the Zornfast with a goal of 100 hours again -from the Tuesday-Saturday but I am probably not doing any except my usual 20:4 TMAD until then.

I wish all fasters all the best =).

(Bacon for the Win) #4

I am working 3 night shifts this week so I plan to fast until thatā€™s over. There is too much crap brought in at work and fasting is my best strat to avoid it all. So I started last night after dinner and will end when I get home friday morning. Comes out to 87 hours. Using Zero app to watch hours tick by.

(Jane) #5

Hope your fast is an easy one!

(Bacon for the Win) #6

thanks me too!

(Mame) #7

yay fasters!! thanks for starting the thread Janie

My attempted short fast was so bad last week. I will make another attempt next week.

Weird but not unexpected how all the situational stress affects fastingā€¦

(Tamela Robinette) #8

I am currently at 21 hours and some change. Iā€™ve been MIA from the forums and fasting for several months and it shows. Iā€™ve gained 20 pounds due to a death in the family, a stressful job change and well, this whole virus fiasco. None of it is an excuse for letting myself gain 20 pounds but Iā€™m not going to beat myself up. Iā€™ve been doing mostly one meal day, sometimes 2 with a 20/4 set up for the past 3 to 4 weeks. Iā€™m starting to see progress. Iā€™m also at 9 days without alcohol. Go me! Anyways, happy fasting everyone! Not sure how long Iā€™ll go but Iā€™m hoping for lunch time tomorrow, which would put me at 42 hours.

(Jane) #9

17 hours in and typical numbers for this stage:

BG: 85
BK: 1.5
GKI: 3.2
Boz: 57

(Bacon for the Win) #10

Iā€™m right at 24 hours fasted so far, and not hungry. Just had some black coffee and have water with ā€˜lytes packed for work. Will be interesting to see BG and ketones in the morning when I get home.

(Jane) #11

At 23 hours and will be headed to bed in a couple of hours for some ā€œfreeā€ fasting hours LOL. Will break mid-morning tomorrow for a 36-ish hour fast.

BG: 85
BK: 3.2
GKI: 1.5
Boz: 27

(Susan) #12

That is terrific, Janie =).

I wish all the best to @NelleG @cervyn and
@Robinette71 with your fasting goals as well =).

(UsedToBeT2D) #13

I am going for 72 hours for first timeā€¦hungry, hungry at 24 hours.
I am at 36 hours now, just hungry.
I am T2D, blood glucose at 85 mg/dLā€¦lowest I have ever seenā€¦I still feel okayā€¦hoping this will help improve insulin sensitivity if done regularly.

(Jane) #14

It should.

I prefer 72 hour fasts over 36 hour ones but that is all my husband can do (not overweight and no health issues) so while I am working from home that is what I do.

I do the longer fasts when I am away on business. The reason I prefer the longer fasts is I am breaking my fast at 36 hours when the hunger has gone away. The first 24 hours are always the most uncomfortable for me - after that just that lovely empty feeling of no digestion going on.

It gets easier the more you fast. Some is true hunger, some is psychological and some is Palov-like responses around your normal eating times.

People who have never fasted think your hunger just keeps increasing linearly over time and canā€™t imagine going 3 days w/o food LOL. Itā€™s just the opposite once you get past the first day. And once fat-adapted the hunger on day 1 is mild, comes in waves and easier to ignore than carb-eating hunger.

(Bacon for the Win) #15

39 hours in, 47.75 left. Just got home from work, and other than being really tired, Iā€™m fine. Not hungry and had great mental clarity all night. BG is 68 and ketones 5.2. Iā€™ll take it, goodnight!

(Jane) #16

Excellent ketone and glucose numbers!

(UsedToBeT2D) #17

12 hours left on first 72 hour fastā€¦I am hungry. Glucose at 76 mg/dL Not much energy, but I think I can make it.
T2D, so, I will stop if blood gets to 70ā€¦started at 127 mg/dL 3 days ago.
Will the next fast be easier?
I have lost about 4 lbs.
How should I break the fast, and what do I do to prevent the weight from rebounding?

(Bacon for the Win) #18

15 hours left and I feel great. Slept pretty well today. BG was 49 when I got home, felt fine. Was 68 just now. I used my last ketone strip, 5. something. Iā€™ve ordered more but they wonā€™t be in until the end of the month. Iā€™ve decided to do these extended fasts for the next three weeks while Iā€™m working nights and will switch to ADF when I go back to days.

Looking forward to eating tomorrow morning, but know it wonā€™t be a big meal. Full disclosure, I had gastric bypass (RnY) 15 years ago but have still struggled with weight ever since. Fasting leaves me feeling like I did immediately post-op. Itā€™s hard to eat and it takes next to nothing to be full. Which is a good thing I guess. I supplement with vitamins and electrolytes to be on the safe side.

So breakfast tomorrow will probably be an egg or two and some bacon. Then some sleep.

(Tamela Robinette) #19

I only made it 24 hours Tuesday and I had 2mad yesterday. I am currently at 23 hours ATM. Trying again for 42 hours. Good luck everyone!

(Tamela Robinette) #20

Sorry I didnā€™t see this sooner and reply. Most folks break with a cup of bone broth and then wait awhile and have a small meal. Maybe some chicken breast and veggies. Some folks can right back to eating and some struggle with bathroom issues. How did you do?