MAY 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(KCKO, KCFO) #442

Source please, everything I read says it stops very easily. And takes a while to get it started. If this is not the case, I’d love to see the science behind it.

But starvation is far from the only motivation for this autophagy, Ohsumi showed. Even healthy cells make use of this process to rid themselves of trash.

A new study finds that exercise prompts cells to break down unwanted proteins and other cellular junk to produce more energy. The process, called autophagy…

Fasting, of course, will kick autophagy into high gear in an exponential way. I think there are some charts in one of Dr. Fung’s videos or presentations showing that after about 36 hours there’s a 300% increase from the usual rate and then it levels off. You start at a normal low, everyday level and increase throughout the next 36 hours. But it’s not on or off. And there are studies that I’ve seen that show that fasting mimicking diets will also promote autophagy and apoptosis. One at the University of Arkansas, I think, but I can’t put my hands on it at the moment.

That’s why I really like the saying ‘Time tells a better story’ weight can fluctuate so much that it takes a little time to level out. - The way I see it, It’s almost like a watching a tidal channel or even flood waters overwhelm a levee. At some point it starts to level out, or equalize, before the flow begins to turn in the opposite direction. I think this is sort-of reminiscent of the lack of Food consumption whilst Fasting and then during the Feasting on a refeed. … I personally like to see the end result for a truer account, but I have indeed tracked before to see how much the fluctuation can be, and it can be different each time.

Forgot to mention I also broke my Fast last night sometime over 71 hrs. … Wasn’t hungry or anything, and had not issues. But the Wife had made a nice meal and she also reminded me that it seems I like to Fast, shortly after picking up a bunch of stuff that I mostly eat. :smile: Can’t say she’s wrong, but do have stuff that I would rather not go bad. So will probably do some more Fasting after the weekend. :slight_smile:

Hope everyone has a great weekend. :+1: And I will make a new June Fasting thread here shortly.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #446

I’m looking forward to the June thread shortly. I will be fasting again Sunday evening till post surgery on Wednesday. Surgery is out patient and going to be easy. Not like @Digital_Dave 's was earlier in the year.

I have two weeks till I drive to the Ft Myer’s area for a memorial and a vacation. I’ll not likely fast with a ton of relatives around but do intend to stay my almost daily IF 18/6 ish schedule.

Well I hope it all goes well for ya, Eric. And yep, I hope it doesn’t affect you like mine did for me for nearly 3 months afterwards. :+1: … And the June IF/EF thread is posted and can be found here.

(KCKO, KCFO) #448

Thanks for posting the new month’s thread. And putting the link in here.

Since it is still May, I will report that I stopped my 36 hr. fast at the 40 hr. mark. I am glad it getting easier to fast again. Hope this trend continues.