MAY 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

Have you ever tried baking soda for heartburn? One tsp in 8oz water, works within minutes for me.

(traci simpson) #423

I know what to take for it, Iā€™m just confused as to why Iā€™m feeling it.

:smiley:

Canā€™t help you there! Hope it goes away!

I was planning on eating today, but then I ate all the things yesterday and really late into the evening. I got all out of whack, because I went to my book group where we potluck and there was literally nothing there that I could eat except the salad that I brought. I usually try to bring something more substantial that I can eat, but I didnā€™t have anything and couldnā€™t get to the store. So I kept eating salad, which had plenty of high-fat dressing, but no protein, so it wasnā€™t satiating. Then I got home and ate a chicken thigh and some cheeseā€“so now Iā€™d had protein, but also a lot more fat. And at 10 oā€™clock at night.

So Iā€™m feeling a bit stuffed this morning. I may end up starting a fast today.

You can do it!

(KCKO, KCFO) #427

I had good luck last week with the Zornfast, so decided to do a shorter fast this week. So I started after dinner a couple of hours ago. Aiming for 36 hrs., but if it goes longer, Iā€™m fine with that.

I had gotten to where even OMAD was getting hard, but last week. I sailed through the Zornfast, so I want to keep my fasting muscle in shape.

I have gotten to the point finally that I donā€™t add any thing to my coffee anymore and I cut way back on it. so this fast will be black coffee as needed and water the rest of the time. My old breathalyzer finally bit the dust, so I have a newer model I like better than the old one. Curious to see if the fasting will up my ketones, Iā€™m currently just running at .3 mmo/L hoping to get that number slightly higher. I also bought some keto sticks, I havenā€™t tried them since I started this WOE in July 2016. Guess I was getting bored, so thought I would track ketones again. I have been having my BS taken by my DH for a couple of weeks now and my morning BS is not where I would like it to be, hoping upping the ketones will take care of that.

KCFO everyone.

(Carol) #428

Absolutely!

54 hours in for me, may eat tomorrow or Friday and call May done. :slight_smile:

181.8!!! Iā€™m 9.6lbs down in 6 days!

163 hours in. Noon will make 6 days. I want to go forever. I want to go long enough that I donā€™t gain half of it back on the re-feed.

I canā€™t believe how easy itā€™s been.

I do have a question, though. Should I attribute some of the loss to water? I would think being fat adapted would mean extra water was already cleared out. Plus Iā€™ve been drinking a gallon of water every day. Literally, 4 quart-size mason jars a day. Any thoughts?

KCFO!

Presently at 62 hrs. with no issues. :slight_smile:

I would think some, yes, but also meal weight reduction. But really neither should be an issue since youā€™re adding water back in as you say, and the ā€˜Fatā€™ that you do lose wonā€™t be coming back, as say water will with hydration. - By not introducing any foods, and having your body work on the rest thatā€™s already present, it will indeed help show better numbers. But then you will also be adding meal weight back some, as soon as you start eating again. ā€¦ So I know for the most part, a lot of folks say they can usually expect to re-gain half or so of what they show as loss whilst Fasting, but I still think this also depends on the person themselves, their re-feed methods, etc. Iā€™ve seen some say they lost something like 8 lbs in the week, and only seen a 1 lb. regain afterwards? While others indeed say they lost 8 lbs., and regained 4 or more lbs. back? - So really I wouldnā€™t worry too much about it, but it is just one of the reasons I donā€™t weigh during Fasting myself, but simply weigh every Sunday morning as I normally do.

Some really like to see those numbers and thatā€™s great. (But it can really fluctuate at times) ā€¦ For me I would rather just re-feed a couple days before I weigh, so I usually stop my Fast on Fridays at the latest. (plus I do like to eat most weekends.) Iā€™ve always said time tells a better story, so a few days after you stop Fasting, you should see you weight resettle so to speak and see a truer loss overall. :slight_smile:

My longest Fast was actually 136 hrs. but wasnā€™t really planned, but just happened while I was in the Hospital having surgery this past January. I was a few days Fasted when I went in, which was fine, but I didnā€™t eat for a couple days after the surgery. ā€¦ I actually set a self imposed limit of 5 days for myself, even before I really started doing any EFā€™s. I have no rhyme or reasoning for this, just that I do start missing eating a nice meal and donā€™t think I need to Fast for more than 5 days. But thatā€™s me. :slight_smile:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #431

Iā€™ve also read that you can expect most of the time to loss 1/2 lb of fat per day of fasting. Remember that some fat cells will want to uptake water to remain the same size, but eventually whoosh will happen and they will give up the water. At least that is what observations have been by some.

Nurse Cindy talks about this in a funny video: https://youtu.be/xF3rmi4DJAw

Sharon are you measuring blood ketones and blood glucose?

Iā€™ve also read/heard this to be the average as well, but Iā€™m sure it can be up or down for some folks. But itā€™s a good medium for estimating.

Nah, too much math, hurts my brain. And I donā€™t think I could bring myself to stick my finger every day. I did it once for an at-home vitamin D test, but it was more like my mom did it for me after I had a 20-minute freak-out. I have a phobia about needles.

Iā€™ve been considering getting a cheap breathalyzer, but honestly Iā€™m just too cheap!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #434

Iā€™m pretty confident that at the length of your fast that your GKI is in a solid autophagy place. Fast on.

Even if I have 2tbsp of HWC every day? Iā€™d love for some autophagy to be happening cuz I already have an issue of loose skin.

Nurse Cindy is a hoot. Iā€™d never seen her before. Thanks for that!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #437

Maybe. Donā€™t know.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #438

This is her with a very lively and informative presentation. Give it a watch when you have time. ~45 mins.

Link?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #440

https://youtu.be/YKFyGCoOw9A sorry - trying to do too many things at one time.

Autophagy is a scale, not an on or off switch. Low levels of it happen in our bodies all the time. You definitely have significantly increased autophagy if youā€™re mainly water fasting with minor added fats like HWC. You just want to avoid any significant amounts of protein to make sure youā€™re not counter-acting the exponential increases in autophagy that comes with fasting.

As for typically net losses from fasting: I average a 66% re-gain. But in some ways thatā€™s a pretty meaningless number. Iā€™ve had fasts where I lost 4 lbs. in two days and re-gained nothing. And fasts where I re-gained to the point where I had a net gain of nearly 2 lbs! I collect and calculate tons of data and it ultimately does two things. 1) Tell me that my body (like most) can be weirdly and inexplicably inconsistent, so donā€™t get too worked up about any one fast or week or whatever. 2) Demonstrate that Iā€™m still on a generally downward trend at a reasonable rate.