MAY 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #302

This has happened before but it is infrequent. This fast I am having single hives in places. They come and go. Small hives. I’m assuming I am now burning old deep stores of fat with a lot of fat soluble toxins from my bad habits and environment years gone by.

(Mame) #303

I will potentially use many different things although not all at once.

liquids:
my version of electrolyte drink, herbal teas, flavored (or not) sparkling water, pickle or olive brine, HWC in my coffee, broth (maybe with butter or bacon fat)
solids:

knob of butter/bacon fat, olive or two, roasted seaweed, strip of bacon or pork belly, a little a avocado

Or maybe nothing. It all depends, but I try to not be a fasting purist as that just raises stress for me. and thanks for the pup shout out. :slightly_smiling_face:

@cervyn, blur, girl, blur! :grin: I use those same food items as crutches, too (plus all the usual stuff like broth, coffee, tea, water). I figure I’m still getting significantly increased autophagy (since it’s a scale, not an on-off switch), even though maybe it’s not as high as it could be. And I’m losing weight, which is my main goal.

This is so interesting. Lately I’ve been getting itchy spots. I keep looking at those spots, thinking that I’m going to see bug bites or hives or a mild rash or something. But nope. That’s what it sure feels like though. It’s definitely not dry skin, though there’s a remote possibility it could be springtime allergies. I’ve heard other people say that keto makes them itchy sometimes, too. I wonder what that’s all about?

I did a one-day fast (40 hours) on Monday and then ate yesterday. And ate and ate (at least it felt like it). I found myself snacking late yesterday evening, even. I normally have no problem doing my TRE stretches of 16 to 18 hours starting after dinner. Interestingly, when I added up everything I ate yesterday, I really didn’t overeat from a caloric standpoint of what I often do on a non-fast day. I think I just hadn’t eaten enough earlier in the day, then dinner was normal, so I was a little lowish overall. So at 9:30pm my body was like “Lady, you are not done for the day! We have higher expectations!”

Then this morning: late eating + salty food + a few extra carbs = big bounce on the scale. I know it’s not fat, but I sure don’t want it.

Anyway, I’m eating today, and then I’m planning on fasting Thursday and Friday, maybe even until dinner on Saturday for a 72-hour.

(hottie turned hag) #305

@ZuleikaD ack blur what? I’m not the one who wrote that :innocent:.

Re: you guys reporting urticaria (layterm, “hives”), this is cutaneous manifestation of histamine response. To my knowledge, the only mechanism behind appearance of urticaric lesions is histamine release.

@BlueViolet, I’m so sorry! I misread, obviously. I’ve edited now.

I don’t actually have hives, but is there any mechanism that might connect keto or weight loss to some kind of histamine release? Or do you think it’s coincidental and it’s more likely to be allergies of some kind? (As I said, in my case, I think this is possible, but it’s never been my pattern to get skin itchy without some other symptoms like itchy eyes at least).

(hottie turned hag) #307

@ZuleikaD that’s the thing, I cannot see a correlation between histamine response and keto diet barring a food allergy. What you describe may not be actual urticaria as @daddyoh has. Urticaric lesions are papular (raised) always. If macular (flat) not urticaria, more likely contact dermatitis or eczema. Neither of these are histamine based manifestations.

(traci simpson) #308

Just listened to a podcast yesterday “Keto answers” with Dr. Saladino and he said he has histamine issues and eczema so he doesn’t eat egg whites. Worth a listen maybe? Episode #060.

(Mame) #309

Thanks!! I don’t know where my head was at!

Yay! Sounds like quite a few of us are onboard this week. I appreciate the company.
GKI = 2.8

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #310

I made it to 70.25 hrs and am really pleased. Broke the fast at 70 instead of 72 because I don’t want to eat too late.

BG 70 mg/dl
BHB 2.4 mmol/dl
GKI 1.6
Boz 29

My goal was to be <40 on the BOZ Ratio. I even had some stress a hour before measuring my blood so maybe I was in an even better place.

I’m going to try another 3 day fast next week starting Sunday night.

Happy fasting everyone.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #311

Mine are hives. I’ve had these before fasting and a long time ago I lost a lot of weight fast and had them. Research points to fat releasing toxins at least as a possibility.

I’ve heard others mentioning this before too… Can’t say for sure, but sounds logical.

On another note, Eric. I know you and I have spoken some about having stomach issues when breaking a Fast, and think normally you say anything under 40 hrs doesn’t bother you, and I’m usually at 48 hrs. But today I broke at 40 hrs, and did have some minor bathroom issues? I only mention this, because it got me to thinking that maybe the fact I haven’t been Fasting much in the past 6 weeks or so, due to being sick, etc. But maybe the lack of Fasting has pushed the timeframe back some? … I mean, I didn’t have anything I usually avoid for breaking longer Fast, so I know it wasn’t due to that, but my thinking is that maybe when I Fast more often like I had been, (once or twice a week) it allowed me to go longer?

Just mentioning this in case anyone else has experienced this, or if it’s helpful in any way? … Wasn’t bad really, but did send me to the restroom a few times, not long after finishing eating the meal. :+1:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #313

Dave

Yup, I’m sitting after a lite break my fast meal. Going to wait at least another 30 mins before taking on something more sustainable. This is one aspect of fasting that I don’t like.

Yeah I was at work, so I didn’t have, say, a Salad to eat and then wait an hour like I do at home. So just had the meal I brought. - But like I said, normally anything under 48 hrs. doesn’t bother me, but thinking my lack of Fasting the past month and a half, maybe weakened that Fasting muscle some, setting that timeframe back some? … Again, didn’t eat any items that do occasionally effect me, so don’t know?

(Jane) #315

This is exactly why I will be breaking my fast tomorrow night even though I could go through until Friday morning with no issues. An hour train ride from downtown Chicago to the airport with no restroom and then a 2-hr flight on the plane that is usually bumpy so they leave the seatbelt sign on. No thanks. The stress of what might happen isn’t worth the cortisol spike! :flushed:

Coming up on 48 hours soon. Got hungry at the usual meal times then it faded. Even sat through a meeting where a vendor brought in pure carbage in the form of pastries that I wouldn’t touch even if NOT fasting!.

BG: 74
BK: 2.8
GKI: 1.47
Boz: 26

(Jane) #316

You did it!
:clap:

It’s weird how our numbers are so similar but the ratios are not. Glucose affects the GKI more because you divide it by 18 first.

(Jane) #317

62 hours in and not a smidgen of hunger yet this morning - just that empty feeling that I love. Not going to waste a keto strip to test my blood this morning - I’ll test this evening before I break my fast. Got a 6:30 reservation at a seafood restaurant near the hotel in downtown Chicago and plan to have a bowl of lobster bisque and order some shrimp to go to eat later.

(Jody) #318

Just catching up with posts, I’m right there with you! Just couldn’t make it past 24 hours, then this morning, i’m going to make it to about 40 hours FINALLY. I allowed myself Kettle & Fire bone broth yesterday, 1 box. That did the trick!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #319

Good approach.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #320

I need to try that brand. I make my own and I’m low. It is a little bit of a hassle. I do have a professional pressure cooker, and that helps.

(Mame) #321

Happy Thursday everyone.

Sitting at 37hours, it’s morning so feeling fine. My brain never pokes me to eat in the mornings. Such a relief.

Feeling confident that I will make it until tomorrow now. Hopefully that is not hubris.

happy fasting folks!