MAY 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Susan) #242

I quit weighing myself and logging my meals on my fitness pal some time ago. I haven’t taken measurements since November. I have been off plan and the weight is creeping up.

I decided to weigh myself daily again and track my meals. Maybe this will help me stay more focused. I am logging salt, water and black coffee on the app right now. It doesn’t like that.
I am also taking magnesium and potassium.

A pinch of salt under my tongue cured my headache within 10 minutes last night.

It’s been so long since i used my Keto Mojo I wasted two strips and pokes before I remembered you have to put the strips in before you put the blood on. It hurts to type.

(Mame) #243

I am musing over my schedule next week trying to plan my fast. I am not too good as a ‘wing it’ type. If I wing it that usually means that I eat. :smile: On one hand my schedule is atypical for me which entails more thinking, on the other hand I have shit tons to do so I will be busy and occupied.

Besides decent 19+ hour fasts overnight, I think I can get in a 72 hour from Tuesday night to Friday night. It sounds like several will be doing this as well this week, which is great as I need the company. Have not managed a 72 hour fast since first week of April. As to whether it will be ‘clean’ or not I will give myself lots of grace. If it comes down to eating salted butter in order to keep going then I will!

(Susan) #244

cooking now to break my fast at 48 hours. I feel weak and shakey, probably due to not being fat adapted. Lasted longer than last time. May try to do this every week who knows?

(Tamela Robinette) #245

Susan were you taking in extra salt? That’s incredible that you went 48 hours without being fat adapted but please be careful. Enjoy your feast!

(hottie turned hag) #246

FAILED again :frowning:
WTH I am not happy about this.

Gorged extra on Fri with the view to fast 72h until Mon.
Ate yesterday. 24h mark per usual.
Not a willpower issue; I felt like I do when I need to eat, that hollow, starving feeling. I considered forcing the issue but fear metabolic slowdown as I have so few fat reserves; would not have feared this when fatter.

Mad as hell.
And mad because I keep switching my plan; I like consistency/sameness.

Argh NEW PLAN (again): don’t eat today. Bacon and eggs only tomorrow and all week, then reassess.
Doing this because, simplicity also want to see if something I’m eating (like the jerk steak sauce I use) is causing the problem. Will add back one thing at a time, steak next.

ETA: just read a statement in a post from a gal who went carnivore past three weeks, that states fasting has since become difficult for her. Since I am now “carnivore” (in quotes to fend off terminology zealots) perhaps that is a contributory factor :thinking:

(Susan) #247

Yes Tamela, I was putting pinches of salt under my tongue throughout the day, and taking magnesium and potassium.
I will carry on with OMAD, that is where I am most comfortable.

I know a lot of people are in the don’t bother to weigh or track camp, but I’m right there with you that it helps me stay focused on what I need to be doing every day. However, I don’t freak out (completely…) if my weight goes up for some random reason (fast for 2 days, gain a pound!). That’s partly because I have enough data that’s says I’m on a solid downward trend, though.

I think this is always a good idea for all of us. If we’re generally meeting our goals for fasting, then killing ourselves to be rigid about it is only going to add to our guilt when we aren’t strict.

I feel you. I get there, too. Have you tried using some little “cheats” to try to get past this point? I’m talking more than a cup of bone broth. Something like a couple tablespoons of sour cream or salted butter, 1/2 an avocado with salt, etc. This often helps me when I’m at that point of feeling hungry. Doing this has also helped me build fasting muscle, even though it’s obviously not 100% fasting.

(hottie turned hag) #249

:stuck_out_tongue:
Ha I just had 3 pickles :cucumber: for this very reason
as to your mention of “that stuff” :bone: erm…I’d rather be tied to a chair with headphones on playing K-pop :grimacing: than get within an arm’s reach of that concoction

#thingsthatmakemeshudder

@BlueViolet try something with some fat in it like sour cream, butter or even a couple of olives. I tried pickles, too, but despite them being strictly zero sugar and carbs, I think they (and the pickle juice) actually made things worse for me. Weird, I know. But since I stopped that, it’s gotten better.

(hottie turned hag) #251

@ZuleikaD lmaooo your post was largely redacted :rofl:
Please rephrase with code words

ETA: never mind, I realized the words are visible when clicked upon
#duh

I know. I almost just blurred the whole thing. :rofl:

(hottie turned hag) #253

Erm…this is getting beyond embarrassing into shameful :zipper_mouth_face:

If I hadn’t read many similar tales on here I wouldn’t be brave enough to state that yet again I failed and ate at the 24h mark. In the nigh on two years (Aug shall be) I’ve been doing this I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM until now.

Has to be something biochem in nature, i.e. I must “need” to not go longer than 24h, but why the heck! I am p small yeah but do have flab aplenty to use for stores; I’m hardly skeletal :skull:

So again, I’m going to try to go the 48h. I keep caving to the hunger…which when I first went “carnivore” (always put in quotes to avoid a terminology fight) my appetite DECREASED. I posted about that…all excited and s**t.

Now, after what…2 mos? on “carnivore” it’s INCREASED and I can no longer fast over 24h?

I’ll have to do it despite the hunger, was afraid that’d trigger metabolic slowdown but now it’s become a determined to show myself I can still do it thing.
Mad, I tell you. :rage:

I stuck to eggs and bacon and shall do for a week or so, then just steak, as I’m now trying to see if a particular thing is the trigger. Eating the same thing for ages is something I dig so that aspect anyhow shall be easy.

(Allie) #254

Never hate, these things happen :heart:

(hottie turned hag) #255

Yeah am now obsessing in the “fell off wagon” threads (not really applicable I know but close enough).

(Allie) #256

Instead of aiming at 48, why not aim at 26 to get yourself comfortably past the 24 hour mark then gradually build that way?

I stopped fasting completely for a while as it just wasn’t working for me and was stressing me out. Now I’m back into it but being more gentle with myself.

(hottie turned hag) #257

@Shortstuff it is stressing me out a tad, in an exasperated kinda way.
If you don’t mind saying, what about doing it stopped working for you? Np if you don’t want to say :slightly_smiling_face:

Re: going incrementally past 24, could do, but with my obsessive disorder if it’s not 24, it must be 48; even 36 makes me feel all :crazy_face:
#ocd4lyf

(Allie) #258

I just couldn’t do it, that simple. Every time I tried I just felt crappy and stressed.

So I stopped completely, well still did a sort of IF with 12 hours of not consuming anything but not actually tracking it, just keeping a rough count in my head, until I felt ready to get back to it which is still a very recent thing.

First I decided, still not actually tracking, not to eat one Monday - no pressure, no set goal, just “I’m not eating today” and it was fine so I slowly eased back into the tracking (using Vora) but more loosely, still set with a 12 hour fasting goal although often I’m exceeding that easily. Currently I’m at over 19 hours and know I’ll have no problem getting through the “Meal-less Monday” I’ve decided to have today.

The more I stress about fasting, the harder it gets, so I’m not stressing but am just allowing it to happen.

(Mame) #259

this!
Fasting is so weird. I have to push myself some because to be truthful I would rather eat than not. But at the same time if I push too hard => stress=> cortisol=> feeling like crap=> cancels out any good the fast may be doing…

Sometimes I think it may be a seasonal thing for me, but I also wonder if it’s emotion-based. When stuff comes up eating/emotions related and I don’t have ‘time’ to deal I think it makes any of my time-related eating stuff harder…

wow are my thoughts rambly…I blame the rice I ate last night. Which gave me a GKI =29!! wow I knew it would be high but not how high. Luckily it’s only a once a year thing at the most.

(Jane) #260

After I finish this glass of Malbec I’ll start my Vora fasting timer. Plan is to fast until Thursday night, so 72 hours. I remembered my Keto Mojo so can calculate my GKI this time.

I keep forgetting to bring my pink salt (back in Chicago burbs this week) and if I buy another one at the grocery I’ll officially have a 10-year supply :laughing:

I just need salt so I’ll grab some packets off the breakfast buffet tomorrow morning.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #261

24 hrs fasted. Today was pretty easy. Plan to go at least 60 hr or so and probably to 70ish.

BG 79 mg/dl
BHB 1.2 mmol/dl
GKI 3.6
BOZ 66

My BG is decent and I think will be lower at 48 hrs. I may do BG & BHB in the morning at 36 hrs. Tomorrow the gym workout will be light rowing and walking mostly. Today was lower body slow resistance to failure. My strength is growing fast.

I hope you all continue with your fasts as long as you wanted to. I know it is a struggle some days. Fast on team.