May 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Justin Jordan) #41

I thought (or rather, didn’t really give it any thought) that because I was ADFing it, I didn’t really need to make a conscious effort to get those electrolytes in.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

Lesson learned.

Thanks Dawn. Good advice. Before this round of fasting, I tried raising my daily caloric intake by about 700 calories over what I normally eat. I did have to do it with fat or I would have ended up with way too much protein and carbs. However I found out that I had trouble eating that much. It was more than my appetite wanted. I probably ended up with around 400 extra calories per day on average for that week.

I picked 5 days because I wanted to clear that first couple of days and spend as much time as possible in good autophagy, but I agree that maybe I should be doing 3-day fasts more often, at least for a while. I really did enjoy seeing blood glucose numbers in the 70s for the first time in a couple of decades, though.

Thanks for the response. It is encouraging. I’m a forum newbie, and sometimes it can be hard to just jump in.

Amanda

I feel ya. I’ve been telling people that fasting is my new super power and I actively look forward to the next time😁.

(back and doublin' down) #44

This is what I’ve been doing the past couple of weeks. I use BPC in the am and on fast days have about 8-12 oz of homemade bone broth. Sat & Sun I eat two full meals a day and get in plenty of fat. I’m averaging 2-4 #s of fat loss per week. Weighing weekly on a Tanita scale at a medical office so getting some great data.

Thinking of a long fast after watching The Science of Fasting, but not sure about timing.

Thanks for this thread. Few around me understand me fasting, even though for me it just feels like skipping three lunches a week.

(Susan) #45

Hi. I’ve been seriously embracing Keto for a little over 2 weeks now. I think that I’ve been inadvertently practicing intermittent fasting pretty much since I started - I guess it’s what would be considered a fat fast though? I’ve been drinking BP coffee every morning at around 8ish, then either 1 or 2 meals later on, eating basically between the hours of 1:00 until 6:00 pm only. Does that count as IF with nothing for at least 19 hours? Is that a 5:19 intermittent fat fast (because of the morning coffee?) Am I understand that correctly?

So I finished eating today (Wednesday) before 4:00 pm - I actually don’t remember exactly when. I’d like to go all day tomorrow (Thursday) without eating, then have my next meal the following day at around 2:00 pm (when I get home from work.) I’ll definitely have my BP coffee both tomorrow morning and the next morning (Friday.)

Would that be considered a 46 hour fat fast?

The reason I’m doing this is basically because I really sort of want to see if I can. These past 2 weeks I’ve found myself eating dinner (with my husband) simply because it’s dinnertime, and I’ve had to cook for him. I mean, I’m hungry when I’m eating, but honestly, I feel like it would be fine if I didn’t eat. Like if I were totally on my own, JUST thinking of me, I could definitely skip dinner.

So I’m going to give it a try. I’ve already told my husband he’s on his own for dinner tomorrow. I actually have a dentist appointment at 3:00 pm so that will take me out of the house and also give me that really nice “clean teeth” feeling from a polishing/cleaning that probably will help motivate me to not eat afterward. (Hahaha)

So, wish me luck I guess.

(Victoria Mc Coy) #46

I still take small amounts of fat during fasting, but find that I now need much less than when I was starting out. I used to have avocado with lemon& EVOO both AM & PM too. Now I’m down to starting the day with Bulletproof coffee (no HWC) and I will have a teaspoon of ghee or Brain Octane Oil in herbal tea at the end of the day if I feel like I need it to sleep well. During the day, I only take water, tea, and salt, salt, salt. Salt is key for managing hunger for me.

Megan’s advice is the best, and she recommends using fats as needed until you’ve developed your fasting "muscles ". It totally worked for me.

(Victoria Mc Coy) #47

They support extended fasts too, but encourage mixing it up to find the right format for each person.

I’ve done ADF for 6 months, ("$ hour fasts) then was stalling so tried keto… I’m now finding that I can go longer, so I’m the opposite of you- going from ADF to looking to try EF to get the last bit off! I think mixing it up seems to be the way to go! If you’re going for a 24 hour fast then you could do black coffee/ water, but from what I’ve read on here, & my current experience it seems that the first 24 hours is actually hardest & it gets easier after that?

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #49

Back here as well… last few days were quite horrible on the fasting front. slightly sickish, gave in into a drink with fruit juice last sat and two cranberry shots, I paid with a terrible case of migranes two days after… Trying to go for OMAD till saturday, then two days of 16/8 and an extended fast on monday hopefully for 5 days.

(Lisa F) #50

For me I just had to trust the process (Keto and now IF) and over time I proved to myself I can stick to it. I went through a period where I regained about 20 of 80 pounds lost (I found out intuitive eating, while liberating, is NOT for me), but the weight is coming off again. There will be ups and downs and times when you have setbacks - it might be a vacation, medical situation, period of high stress - but if you keep Keto as the backbone of your dietary practice (along with whatever IF/EF you settle on) and life, I really believe you’ll build confidence in your ability to stick with it.

(Steve) #51

Juice is evil - most of it has a higher sugar content than pop!!! (sugar / preservatives is often the cause of people’s hangovers as well - most of the shots at the bar - the liqueurs are just packed with sugar!!!)

If you feel ill when fasting, some broth / bouillon with some added butter melted in will do wonders for making you feel right. :slight_smile:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #52

Tanks for the tip!
I know. I haven’t had juice in years. But it was guava and you rarely find it here in Switzerland… :see_no_evil:
Als half Brazilian I really miss those suckers, never found the whole fruit here, I rather have half of the whole thing once in a blue moon if I had the option … Oh well…
I will stay far away from it from now on… And wait for my next visit overseas…

Doing the same. :crossed_fingers:t2:

(Dawn) #54

Yep, great plan. I follow something similar. I am averaging about 4#'s as well.

(Dawn) #55

I am about five pounds away from getting back to the weight I was before my horrible sugar/carb binge. The last five pounds however, are extremely important. Unfortunately, it means that I may have to do another 5 day fast instead of the 3 day.

(Dawn) #56

@LizinLowell What fasting schedule are you following these days? Is it working for you to help get the last few pounds off? Also, can you tell me again what weight you were when people started to notice your loss? I think you said it was below 200 pounds.

(Liz ) #57

So It has taken me 6 months to lose about 10 pounds. I would say I have at least 20-25 pounds left to lose? (I would like to be quite slender and build up muscle tone from there.) I fast weekly from 24 to 96 hours at a time. Right now I’m IFing (with 2 tbs fats in coffees) 16-20 hours a day. Is it successful?? It’s hard to say, it feels glacial. I do not like fasting but I will use it to lower my insulin rate over time.

I tried dairy free for a month and that didn’t change the scale so I’m fairly confident that wasn’t a problem. I’m trying eating more calories right now to see if my metabolism needs a boost. I haven’t gained anything so far so that’s good.

I guess I’m sort of holding course and doing tiny tweaks here and there and starting to do some exercise once a week and waiting on my tissues to be more insulin sensitive. I assume this will just take time. I’m also hoping I can do some more longer fasts to take advantage of autophagy as maybe that will take away some excess skin.

I can’t totally remember but yeah, at about 190 or maybe it took to 180 but I really started to look different. I’m 5’8" with a very slender frame. I think the biggest thing was the lack of inflammation, I just looked less puffy before I even lost very much weight.

Now I’m 165ish and can fit into some size sixes. So even though I did not lose much weight in those 6 months, I definitely went down from a 12 to a 6. Keto is wild.

I’m at a good plateau spot so if I’m stuck here a few years that’s really ok. I’m just eager to get the weight loss part over with and focus on maintenance. But it takes the time it takes.

(back and doublin' down) #58

Good to read. I’m learning this.

(Heather Daggett) #59

Finally! I was stalled at 202 to 205 for months. Quite the psychological milestone just out of reach. Got serious about IF 20:4 and the scale has started moving again. Now to stay on track through a weeken of birthday parties and wedding showers.

(Liz ) #60

Welcome to onederland! Big milestone!