May 2017 Zornfast 18-21

(Steve) #241

Dang, I should have thought of pickle juice… Putting that in my plans for next time…

(John Somsky aka KetoGrinder) #242

What do you ride? I currently ride a Goldwing. Had a Valkyrie before that.

(John Somsky aka KetoGrinder) #243

I’m now about 10 minutes and 72 hours into my fast. Today was a little easier than yesterday. I had about 5 minutes when I wasn’t feeling well and was contemplating ending the fast, but it passed and I now feel fine.

I’ve just had coffee with cinnamon, Ketoaide and water. I measured my blood sugar and I had a 94. I haven’t been lower than 100 when I’ve measured for months. I also have a 1.0 for blood ketones. My previous high measurement was 0.6.

My wife has been amazed that I’m still functioning and active. I think she expected me to be curled in a ball sucking my thumb. I’ve gotten her to start keto, but she’s not ready to fast (yet). I’ll see how tomorrow goes. I may break fast Sunday night, or maybe Monday night.

I have to believe this is helping my insulin sensitivity. I’m sure this won’t be my last fast.

(James) #244

I ended up breaking my fast at 79 hours. I made the mistake of having a little too much to eat and I feel like I just had a big Thanksgiving meal. I have to remember to take it easy when breaking the fast. For all those who are still fasting - stay strong!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #245

I love you guys.

That is all.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #246

(John Somsky aka KetoGrinder) #247

Just thought I’d mention that Megan Ramos of the Fasting Talk podcast advises against fasting while breast feeding. You can listen to the question here: https://overcast.fm/+HywU5NWNs/24:10

(Patty W) #248

This was my first water only fast. Made it through 1st 24 hrs, but my timing was off. Between hormones & the worst day at work in several months, by the time I came home, I would kill for celery dipped in homemade mayo…so to curb the body count, I did. And a little cauliflower with cheese on the side.

But next morning I was feeling better, so I’m giving it another go. Today is WAY easier! (Although it helped that work was too). So after my re-set, I’m at Hour 26, feeling good, no hunger or other symptoms. It’s my weekend now, & I’m looking forward to feeling the surge & getting “stuff” done.

Great to see all the other inspiring posts as well :slight_smile:

(Patty W) #249

Must. Stop. Trolling. The Keto Recipes Forum…I’m hungry now, darn it!
I’m going to bed now.

I just heard on the latest Fasting Talk podcast with Jimmy Moore and Dr. Jason Fung that breastfeeding women should not fast. Megan Ramos discusses this topic. I’m sharing and not offering advice.

I ended up breaking the fast Friday evening. I have two upcoming social events, one in which I’m eating Indian food, and I didn’t want that to be a first, second or even third meal after fasting 19 days! I’ve eaten shredded chicken with homemade taco seasoning (from Kelly the Kitchen Kop), Loaded Twice Baked Cauliflower (from Ketoangelist), and today I made the Deconstructed Cheeseburger Pizza (from Maria Emmerich’s new cookbook, Keto Comfort Food) that has a bacon-weaved pizza crust! Oh, and macadamia nuts! I’m intentionally eating a lot of dairy to see how my body reacts. I love dairy and don’t necessarily think I have trouble, but this is a good test. I will continue to monitor blood glucose and ketones. So far I feel well with continued energy!

(Laura Z) #252

You are amazing Brenda! May I ask, do you do any cardio on the days you lift? Like 15 mins on the treadmill prior or?? KETO ON:punch:

(KCKO, KCFO) #253

Ended my fast this morning at 86.5 hrs. previous longest fast was 81 hrs. I could hardly finish my breakfast, I did have a couple of olives with feta cheese cubes and a half hr. later I had the eggs benedict sans English muffin, a regular breakfast for me. Going to try eating normally today, last fast I feasted afterwards and gained back most of my loss. This time I feasted the day before starting the fast and following Brenda’s advice, I am going to eat normally for the next couple of days.

And I am now one lb. below my goal weight. This is huge for me. Haven’t been here in a very long time. Now that I have found feasting/fasting I will be setting a new goal. I still have plenty of body fat to power a fast. I am so happy I found 2ketodudes and the support of the folks here in the forum. I’ve been on MFP for over two yrs. and struggled most of that time, never got below 155. Finally found the LCHF forum there, and that lead me here. Between the two forums, I lost my fear of fats, learned the good from the bad ones. I will never go back to high carb lifestyle again. Thanks for all the support.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #254

If I ride my massive glorified dirt bike there I do :wink:

(John Somsky aka KetoGrinder) #255

I’m ending my fast now at 10 minutes and 90 hours in. My GI track is a little out of sorts today, so I’m calling it early. But I’m still happy for my second ever fast. I’m breaking my fast with some bone broth and macadamia nuts. I’ll eat more later. Thanks everyone for your encouragement and good luck to all who are still fasting.

Fast results:

• Lost about 10 lbs (or two Chihuahuas).
  • Brought my early morning Blood Sugar from about 150 to about 85.
  • Reach my highest ketone measurement of 1.0.
  • Generally felt great and had more energy than normal.
  • Proved to myself that I could do it!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #256

@Amazinn
OK. Cheap way to sneak my photo in.
I HAVE NO SHAME.
But really? I don’t “do cardio”. I swim laps once or twice a week because I love it, not to burn calories or lose weight. I don’t swim on the same two days per week that I lift. MY ENERGY ONLY GOES SO FAR! Lol. I’m FIFTY FUCKING THREE YEARS OLD! SHEEEESH.
Cardio is absolutely achieved when I’m out on my bike, as it is not a passive cruising motorcycle. I lift wheelchairs in and out of vans at work, and haul various supplies for my clients. fuck cardio
My life is full :wink:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #257

@jdsomsky
I’ve been wanting to comment since reading this. I’ve been busy but thinking about you. Were you diagnosed diabetic? Because I was, years ago. I no longer am.

YES!!! Fasting is improving your insulin sensitivity!
There are two things I STRONGLY encourage you to do if you haven’t yet.

1. Listen to my story on the 2KetoDudes podcast.
    http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=21

And 2. Read Dr. Jason Fung’s The Obesity Code. This book is all about fasting and improving insulin sensitivity!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #258

Lol. I still do this and I know better. I’ll be the first to admit I just fucking love to eat!

(John Somsky aka KetoGrinder) #259

I was diagnosed diabetic several years ago. I started insulin around November of 2015, I ended up taking 120 units a day. In October 2016 my weight had gotten to 397 lbs. I did not want to break the 400 mark, so I decided to start Keto. I found 2KetoDudes through .NET Rocks, and I’ve done Atkins in the past so it seemed like a good fit. I came off insulin in February, and have seen steady improvement.

I have listened to all of the 2KetoDudes podcasts. I was very happy to hear there was at least one other Minnesota Ketoer. I have Dr. Fung’s book on my list. I’ve had 2 days of normal blood sugar. I’ll be interested to see where it goes the next few days.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

(Jim Russell) #260

@Brenda

Your 2KD episode was great. I need to go listen to more of the podcast. The health changes that you and Carl have made are awesome. It’s very inspiring, even to those of us who have been lucky enough to avoid the health problems.

I’m just starting to read The Obesity Code. I love it so far.