Massage Gun

(GINA ) #1

I bought a percussion massage gun yesterday at Costco and it is fabulous.

My IT and hamstring have annoyed me off and on for years, and I recently got diagnosed with trochantric pain syndrome in my hip. I am due to start PT soon, but I have been trying home remedies in the meantime. I have been using a little ball-bearing massager that helps some, but didn’t feel like enough. Yesterday as I was cruising through Costco, I saw a percussion massage gun & snapped it up. I have used it once since bringing it home and that thing is magical.

YUP! They’re pretty awesome for loosening everything up. When I’m doing 2 a days at the gym I get pretty beat up and those things are great for getting everything moving again.

(Bob M) #4

I was thinking about getting one of these to use on my shoulder. Not sure it would help (torn rotator cuff is an issue), but I think it might.

What kind are recommended?

(Central Florida Bob ) #5

Coming completely out of nowhere, I had never heard of trochantric pain syndrome, but since I know where and what the greater trochanter is, I looked it up.

I might have that. I get it on my right hip almost nightly. I get commanded to sleep on my right side all night by the boss (my cat) and often wake up for the day because that hip is too sore to sleep.

I’ll download some exercises and start my own therapy. Meanwhile, Gina @GME, if you happen onto this, did the massage gun help this? Applied to the trochanter area itself?

(Bob M) #6

Bob, that’s my issue too: it’s one thing to apply this to muscles that are tense or in pain, but (potentially) another to apply it somewhere else.

(GINA ) #7

The massage gun does help. The most helpful thing though has been regular exercise (walking and run intervals). I tried waiting until it got better to restart exercise, but it never really did so I just exercised anyway (I can’t recommend this course of action, but it worked on plantar fasciitis too). Now if I don’t get at least a long walk or hike in each week, it flares up. As long as I keep moving, no aches and pains.

(Bob M) #8

This is supposedly 80% off, today only:

(Doug) #9

Bob, for the U.S. I see https://www.amazon.com/Massage-Tissue-Percussion-Massager-Athletes/dp/B09JBCSC7H/ref=sr_1_1?crid=38AVTEFHXCD4U&keywords=Muscle+Massage+Gun+Deep+Tissue+Percussion+Massager&qid=1682208115&sprefix=muscle+massage+gun+deep+tissue+percussion+massager+%2Caps%2C76&sr=8-1

Supposed list price is $99.99, and they’re claiming 69% off at $30.99, but looks like it is usually $20 - $40.

(Bob M) #10

I had also looked at Camel, and it was actually a deal I thought at the ime. But I didn’t get it anyway. Instead, I worked for work and also did a ton of house work to add some overhead lights to my house. Think balancing on knee pads on individual 16 inch on center joists while keeping most of my body up and tight so that I can drill through the top plate of a wall while not falling through the ceiling. Given that I had to stand up slowly later, when getting out of a chair, I could’ve used a massager. :wink:

(Doug) #11

Massagers - pretty much all cordless anymore. Wide range of prices and as with many things it looks like a minefield to me, trying to find the best choice and avoid skewed ratings. Price, weight, battery life, stall force, noise level, number of intensity settings, etc., lots to consider.

That is nasty work, Bob. I’m facing the exact same thing - our ‘new’ house has 11 of the old-fashioned combination overhead ceiling fans and lights. Eleven :smile: The home inspector told me this was a big thing for older people who were adults during the World War II years - rather than go to the expense and greater energy consumption of air conditioning, they often chose to just have overhead fans. Our house was built in 1964, and that was the decade that central air conditioning became common in all but cold climates. Ours had it added later, but the fans remain.

6 of the fans are in the kitchen, family room, living room, dining room and sunroom - I’m making this all one big open area, and don’t want stuff hanging down below the ceiling. Going with recessed lights in the ceiling that are flush or nearly so - thus the receptacles have to go between the ceiling joists. Our house is single-story with a basement, and the insulation is in the ceiling, rather than under the roof, so it’s not going to be fun.

I’ve had back/hip pain for about 4 years.

I tried a massage gun but returned it after a week and I now rely on figuring out and resolving the stress that’s causing the pain to fix it. It’s usually taking sh*t too seriously, pushing through or letting go at work or resolving a disagreement. If I can maintain yoga I never get stressed either.

I honestly believe it’s all stress related, unless there was a point of injury like a car crash- not - “it just went “.

If you wake up with pain force yourself to move naturally and it will go away most days. Give it a go.

But n=1 and if the gun works for you then enjoy.

I have ultrasound for hip pain and recently sciatica. Works well for me but it isn’t instant, fortnightly for 3 months with a physio who has the machine and comes to my home to treat.

I wouldn’t use a massage gun on myself, I’m not an expert on where not to aim!

(Mike W.) #14

I had a similar pain and slept with a hunk of foam between my knees. It really helped.

(Central Florida Bob ) #15

Interesting. I haven’t tried that so I’ll round up a spare pillow or something.

The most successful thing I’ve found is that I roll forward, closer to sleeping on my stomach than right on my side. Some nights it works better than others. I also end up taking 8 hour Tylenol more nights than not, but I’d really rather not.

(Mike W.) #16

I had trouble keeping the pillow there so I bought the foam thing on Amazon. It’s shaped like an “H” so it locks in place.