MARCH 2019 Weight Maintenance Check-in

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

Wow the year is zipping right along.

How are the Maintenance Crew doing so far this year?

(Trudy) #2

Thanks to a delightful gastro bug I remain below GW as we roll into March. GW 67kg, CW 64.7kg, still high fat % on my Fitbit scales (I know that are notoriously inaccurate). Walking most days, swimming some days, aiming for a lower fat % and to be more toned by Christmas 2019.

Thanks for running this post, great way to be accountable.

(Carl Keller) #3

I’ve been in maintenance for about a month. My plan was to raise my carbs to 30-35 and go back to eating higher fat amounts, more nuts and dairy too. The thing is I am still ending up between 15-20 carbs on most days when I don’t consciously focus on making them higher. I’m such a creature of habit that eating under 20 per day is still practically an involuntary action.

My idea was to include small amounts of starch… maybe a cup of rice or potatoes here and there but to be honest, they don’t really taste that great any more and I haven’t been that motivated to make them much. I’m not really complaining. It’s just surprising to me.

What I find most amazing is my capacity for meat and my apparent inability to achieve a feeling of fullness even though I don’t have an issue with still being hungry. A 16 oz ribeye is no problem. I can put one down and wish there were more. I ate around 20 oz of delicious beef roast last week and could have easily eaten more but I stopped when I thought to myself that this is getting ridiculous. I feel like I could take on one of those steakhouse challenges where if you eat the Flintstones sized steak, salad and baked potato, you get your meal for free and your picture on the wall of gluttony.

Scalewise, I float between three pounds over weight goal to four pounds under. I’m currently 2 pounds under and the number usually depends on how busy I am with work and errands.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #4

I read the maintenance posts for motivation. I can’t wait till I can post here. Probably got another 8 months to go. Maybe a little longer.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #5

I’m at maintenance. Even with all my wacky dietary tweaks. Went ten days dairy free and lost two more pounds. That caused me to lose my mind and I ate SAD for four days. Stayed at the same weight and now I’m back on the wagon. Still not entirely sure what my goal weight is. I am assuming my body will figure it out.

(Jill F.) #6

I like these threads, I often wonder if I will be like @CarlKeller and try to add in more carbs and struggle to do so when I get to maintenance mode. I too find staying under 20 carbs a day a habit and rarely go over anymore. I NEVER thought I would crave steak and veggies with butter so much!

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

I started out the new year wanting to drive my weight down 3 lbs. from my original goal weight.

And am happy to say, I have driven it down 4 lbs. since Jan 1. I no longer am seeing the original goal weight at all now. I think this has happened due to two things:

1. I have started following the TRE window protocol, only breaking from it when I really need a coffee 1st thing in the morning. Protocol says coffee opens your eating window, I find that for me, it is ok… I don’t eat solid food til my scheduled time and when my time is up for the day, I don’t even go near the kitchen again.

2. I moved the nuts out of sight, I didn’t stop eating them entirely, I just cut back as I don’t see them so I stopped thinking, I should have a palm full of those nutritious nuts multiple times a day. This is the only eating change I have started doing.

Since it has turned into a bad winter this year, I was thankful that my lack of doing 10K steps a day did not prevent me from reaching my goal.

How are the other Maintenance Crew members doing?

@CarlKeller - At maintenance, why is your plan to raise carbs back up? just curious! Were you getting too low below your goal?

I am now on a mission to maintain my weight which is 3-4 lbs below my goal weight… so far I guess I’m doing ok but I have never been in this territory before? :slight_smile: So I am currently reading up on everyone else’s strategies. Currently I’m doing 20/4 fasting a few days a week and that works well for me. I haven’t tracked calories in like a year because that’s not how keto works for me … but lately I have been, so I can get a good idea of the quantity of what my body wants/needs. Looks like I stay full for my 20/4 if I do about 1550 calories. That’s about 122g fat, 93 protein, 10 total carbs (not net) which come from carnivore foods and a few pieces of chocolate (no plants). I’m 5’3-5’4’ and average 127lbs.

(Carl Keller) #10

Because I know I can stay in ketosis at much higher numbers. I floated around 30-45 total carbs when I first began and my plan was to eat a few more starches and ocassional fruit. I feel like occasional rice, potatoes and a banana here and there would enrich my nutritional profile but alas I’ve lost my love of potatoes and I’ve yet to find the will buy bananas. :stuck_out_tongue:

I suppose it’s a good problem to not be able to intentionally eat more carbs.

I am currently about eight pounds away from being overweight and my goal was always to be in a healthy weight bracket. I do have a little bit of bellyfat I wouldn’t mind losing but it’s nothing compared to what it was and I’m often called skinny. In the past 35 days I’ve lost about four or five pounds while trying to maintain.

@CarlKeller whoa that is cool!

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

Dude, this is me exactly. Only higher carby food I still miss is homemade sour dough bread.

You’re making great progress. KCKO.

Weight maintenance
(KCKO, KCFO) #13