APRIL 2019 Weight Maintenance Check-in

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

April has arrived time for a new thread.

Hope everyone is enjoying a few pranks today :slight_smile:

MARCH 2019 Weight Maintenance Check-in
(Andrew Jolly) #2

Hi Peeps, new to this site and thought this thread is probably worth tracking.
I have been keto since Nov 2018 and did it to solve a problem my doctor highlighted to me in October of being pre-diabetic and facing blood presure medication. I have suffered severe reflux (GORD) for many years also…
Since then I lost 33lbs and am now sitting at 174lbs and feeling great. No more reflux or associated medication and recent blood tests look great. No longer pre-diabetic and BP normal :smile:

I am interested to know what the benefits of adding fasting to keto might be for those looking to maintain their weight. Particularly if you are not looking to loose more weight or lower insulin levels?

Keen to hear from anyone who may be using fasting regimes for other reasons?

(Trudy) #3

Checking in…SW 111.5kg (March 18th 2018) CW 64.1kg GW 63kg, consider myself at goal if within 2kg of 63kg as my weight varies so much.

Increasing my consumed daily fat as I’ve had some nausea and this has helped in the last day so hoping that was the problem.

Thanks as always for starting this thread. Working hard at maintenance.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

Welcome to the Maintenance Crew Andrew. Congrats on your healthy results.
First, fasting is not a requirement of keto, just a lot of ketonians like to do it.

Some use fasting going for autophagy, which helps with loose skin and other conditions. Use our search box to find many discussions on autophagy. Since it is hard to measure there is a lot of debate about how soon it starts, how long you should do it, and what stops it from happening in the first place, oh and can you just mimic it with the fast memic diet by Dr. Longo.

Personally, I do it to stay slightly under my original goal weight. If I seem to be gaining, I rein it back in with a 36-48 hr. fast, that usually puts me right back where I want to be. I have had success or near enough (I thought at the time) losing in the past, but keeping it off was always my fail point. In May I will be two years in maintenance.

(Tamela Robinette) #5

I am so close to my goal that I am starting to think about maintenance mode. I have been LCHF and/or keto off and on for around 3 years I think. It seems I always fall off the wagon and gain weight back and then have to ratchet things down again and work really hard to get back healthy, especially if I’m injured and can’t exercise (I run). I don’t want that to happen this time, so here I am.
Height 5’7
SW (this time 158)
CW 137.4
GW 135?
At my heaviest I was 190 pounds with pre-diabetes, high BP, high cholesterol and couldn’t tie my freaking shoes without being winded! I have been strict keto since January 1 of this year and recently fell in love with fasting. I’ve practiced IF with some success but have completed a couple of EF in the past couple of weeks and love it! It has helped me bust through a stall and put me very near my goal. That being said, I know I won’t be able to continue EF very often once I reach goal. So that’s my story. I’m looking forward to learning what others do for maintenance. This forum has taught me so much and motivated me to want to continue this WOE for life!

(Running from stupidity) #6

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

Welcome to the Maintenance Crew.
Congrats on your hard work.

I suggest you also check out this thread Maintenance Strategies?

What is the best way to stop losing weight? Adding more carbs to find a balance, or adding more fats, or a combo of the 2?

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

My personal experience is I still need the fats, since I don’t have as much stored now. I gradually added carbs up to the 50 grams level with an occasional meal getting up near 75 grams range, but plenty of them closer to the original 20 grams. Even some of the good carbs can be too much. I have dialed back on nuts, and I eat more Greek yogurt, I love marbled steaks and dressing my salads with lots of good oils, hemp oil is my favorite one these days.

Also I do not do grains (wheat, rye, quinoa). None of them are my friends.

Everyone seems to have a different need for carbs. Just add something back in for a day or two and see how you react. The Atkins web site has a good ladder that you can use to help with this, I don’t like their products, but the basic Atkins 20 is what got me started on keto, finding IF and EF, got me to goal weight and the ladder helped me to add in things that don’t bother me. I stay in nutritional ketosis most of the time I’m now using TRE window protocol and do some 36-48 hrs. fasts, and the monthly Zornfast. 2 years maintenance the beginning of May and I get to eat a ton of foods I really love eating. For full disclosure, I do miss my homemade sourdough breads. But really nothing else the keto versions of things work fine for me.

Good luck on sorting it out.

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

I’m doing the Zornfast, went 42 hrs. and decided to eat a couple of meals and now I have started another 36 hr. fast. I do want to eat normally on Sunday.

Pretty quiet around here. Is anyone learning anything new, tweaking your eating, trying new exercise protocols?? I’m learning about Slow Burn workouts, got the book and found some good videos, but I’m thinking a trainer would be good to keep me honest. Will be looking for someone qualified to do that. It is closely related to Body by Science, been around for years. You can even do it at home easily. The idea is to do short workouts to failure and not do it often 1X or 2X times a week at the most and once you learn how, it only takes about 20 mins. per workout and it is a whole body workout.

(Tamela Robinette) #11

Well I injured my foot in a half marathon last Saturday (it’s an old injury) and I had some slip ups diet wise. I gained 4 pounds! It has literally taken me all week to get back to pre-race weight! Mainly because I’ve been unable to truly exercise. I have done a little weight training. I’m going to research the Slow Burn. I’ve been watching a lot of videos and wanting to find a good program. I lift at home with just a simple weight bench/set and some dumbbells. I do pushups, situps and planks as well. There is so much conflicting information on exercise here. So many people don’t recommend it but I love it and it helps me with my mental health. Honestly running kept me from becoming a full blown alcoholic. I replaced the drunk feeling with a runner’s high. I’m probably not going to be able to run for weeks now so weight lifting it is!

On the eating, I did a 2 day fat fast to help get back to keto after my slip up. It was my 1st ever fat fast. I couldn’t go longer than 2 days! I was starving and I’ve done 72 hour water fasts! Funny how the body works. I went back to strict keto yesterday and couldn’t eat enough! I did 2mad and finally forced myself to stop for fear of gaining. I woke up hungry! I didn’t gain or lose any yesterday which is good. I’m just going to listen to my body and eat today regardless because obviously it needs the nutrition but it’s weird. I haven’t had this level of hunger on keto in forever! That’s one of the things I love about keto. Have you ever experienced this? I’m ravenous!

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

I get occasional days when I get hungry, the rest of the time, I am fine and often do 23/1 hr. spontaneous IFs. I think those are the days when I have just eaten very low amounts for a few days in a row, and the body just wants more nutrients coming in.

Since you are healing, your body may just want more protein for healing?

Hope the injury heals quickly for you.

(Karen Parrott) #13

I’m still here. Maintaining like a champ but not really reading this forum. Sorry. Will try to do better.
This is my 8th food sober Easter. Loving it!!!

Here’s to a Food Sober Easter and maintenance month. Onward.

(Tamela Robinette) #14

That’s exactly what I was thinking!

(KCKO, KCFO) #15

Always nice to see you checking in Karen :slight_smile:

We had our Easter meal early. Lamb chops with a side salad and deviled eggs. All yummo and all very keto. No champers this year, just some iced tea. The more we do this, the better it gets.