March 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

Hello fellow keto/fasters,

Just dropping in for a few comments. I was trying to use the U.S. Navy method body fat calculation to get a handle on roughly where I am at. I don’t have access to a DEXA scan within 100 miles…unless I can get a Dr. to refer me…HA!

So, looks like I have roughly 48 pounds of body fat and using another calculation (found from a post that @richard made regarding “why it’s easier for some people to fast”), I know that I need to do a wee bit of fat supplementation whilst fasting or my metabolic rate could suffer…UGH, NO!!!

So, just estimating before the calculation I ASSumed that I could use about 400 cals of fat and was helping myself to few tablespoons of butter/coconut oil and cocoa butter. NOTE: This is not the idea, not for my needs anyway.

Therefore, be cautious when you fast as far as metabolic rate and current body fat. This way you can properly (not like I initially did) estimate the fat supplement you may, or may not need to keep from decreasing your metabolic rate.

My next assumption, though this one seems sensible, is that although I may have had more than I needed, my body was still getting the balance of its energy from my body fat stores. SO although it may have decreased the amount of body fat I was using, I was still working into that blob of body grease! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This means, as I continue, hopefully for seven more days, I will be taking only about 1 to 1.5 T of extra fat each day. I’ll report back as far as how I managed and what results I can share.

Best wishes to all, KCFO!

(Jane Lapointe) #83

I haven’t started my March fast yet but wanted to share a success from my February fast. I didn’t lose any weight but something shifted because a pair of slacks that fit me just right before the fast are now slightly too big! I have to take them in at the waist like my mom used to do for my pants when I was a kid.
My birthday is Wednesday, 59, and I’m having a party for myself on Sunday. Debating about starting my fast on Sunday night and going through until dinner on my birthday. However, I also start a new job on Monday and don’t know if it’s such a good idea to fast when starting a new job.

That’s super! I’m thrilled you’re finding success with your fasting. Here’s hoping I’ll be able to do it, too, eventually. Also may I ask that you share your results one you’re done? If you lose weight, that is? And if you keep it off, one you break the fast?

(KCKO, KCFO) #85

Breaking a fast with an event meal will probably not the best thing for your gut. Also stress can defeat fasting, if work and celebration activities are causing you any stress, you might want to select a different week? I know I can not see a good result under those circumstances.

Congrats on the body recomp.

I broke my fast a couple of hours ahead of time, but decided, what the heck, I’ll just close my eating window again and fast on, so already over 16 hrs. into a second one this week. I think this one I will do more broth and less coffee.

KCKO
KCFO

My goal is 130, as that was the best weight for me, which I kept for over two decades, till about four years back when I started slowly creeping up. I was around 138-140 for a couple of years, then I shot up to 147 last summer. I lost three pounds by the usual cutting excesses way, but then I stalled. And I was ALWAYS, always hungry, even WHILE eating. Actually the moment I started eating the hunger got worse and remained that way. It’s why I started keto after so much research. In the first five days, it was amazing, losing four pounds. Then I discovered it was only water weight, and I put it back promptly and I’m stuck at my starting weight of 144. I l keep losing a couple of pounds then go back up to that.

My goal now may be 135, since I’ve since started weight training so probably have more muscle mass. And I’m also older, so I wonder if maybe my body needs a bit more fat for hormonal substitution?

Anyway, it seems having only around 10-15 pounds to lose maybe impossible to lose on keto without constant IF and OMAD, or even EF. Whatever I’ve been eating for the past four months, my body considers maintenance level.

So…where you always 155? Or did you get down to 155 before starting keto?And it’s great you lost 8 pounds! I would have been ecstatic with half that! So what’s your current macros? And goal?

And yes, I’d love it if we help each other out. I’m 5’4 by the way!

Sure, I’ll try to post an update next Wednesday to allow for any changes after the feast days.

(Liz ) #88

The first two days of my lowered protein experiment went great! The next two, not so much lol. Wow did I overeat. Why? No idea. Physiological? Psychological? Both? Cycle? :woman_shrugging:

Today I went to OMAD with fatty coffees during the day to try to get control back. I feel good, I’m headed home to make dinner for tonight soon and I’ll see how that goes, if it works better to have all my protein at one meal rather than split over lunch and dinner.

Meanwhile, I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it anywhere else on the forums (I am so scattered today!) but this is my one year Keto-versary! That’s the first year of the rest of my life in the books. What a year! I lost about 45 pounds, went from a size 14 to a size 8, gave up all my cravings and aches and pains. Thank you, KETO!! You saved my life!

Yeah congrats on your 1 year anniversary - mine is coming up soon, too!

I had been comfortable at 143 for a few years, and then got my weight to 130-135 for several months using Paleo and the whole 30- but then I got married and started a masters degree, and my weight slowly climbed, peaking at 160lbs. I tried a (very expensive) CICO program, and Paleo and whole30 again, but nothing seemed to bring me lower than 155lbs. It was baffling, and very discouraging. My goal weight would be around 130 again.
Keto has been very exciting, as I am really convinced the science is sound, but like you I have been fluctuating since my initial loss- anywhere from 147 to 151lbs. Measurements have improved however (lost ~2inches from my waist).
I am also 5”3, and turning 30 at the end of April.
As far as macros go, I had calculated ~1649 calories (which seems super high), 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs. To be honest, I check in to make sure I’m in the right ballpark but have mostly been “eating intuitively” and starting to incorporate IF and EF.

Also, I used to be much more disciplined with my exercise but have gotten out of my routine- do you follow any sort of program?

(Karen) #91

Congrats!! So awesome, and a real inspiration!

K

(Liz ) #92

Thanks @avocadosrule and @Keto6468 ! This forum has been a HUGE part of my success with this way of eating. I mean, I already came to Keto from Atkins & Paleo for like, 15 years, so I’m not new to low carb. But finally understanding the science of insulin resistance, learning about fasting, hearing everyone’s experiences, this is what makes it work for me day to day. The community.

(Liz ) #93

Update: ate dinner, which was all my protein for the day in one go, loaded up on fats, so far so good!

So either I was having some sort of weird spell the last two nights and things have settled, or this meal timing is a better method, I don’t know. Let the n=1 continue!

When I started keto, I was excercising five days a week. Since I hate gyms and I get bored very easily, I was doing something different each day, rotating between HIIT, TRX, kettlebells, dumbbells, body weight and yoga. I practice at home with the help of YouTube trainers, usually for 20-40 minutes, according to the intensity of the exercise and the weights I’m using. But for some reason, when exercise used to help me lose weight all my life, it suddenly stopped doing so after keto. I’m really amazed at how the number 144 seems to be a fixed reality for me now. Actually the only thing that makes a difference at all is 90 minutes of hot yoga!

Anyway, now I was down to alternate days of exercise for most of my keto journey, but I’m not feeling good about this and am working to getting back up to 5-6 days a week, even if for shorter exercises. Something about the day I don’t exercise that feels…misspent! :slight_smile:

I’m in keto now for the longterm health benefits, and hopefully for the hunger control (I’m not there yet on that issue) but it would have really been nice if I lost any pounds or inches. Though I’m determined to KCKO, it’s so good to have someone in somewhat similar circumstances to share results or lack of with. :blush:

I’m with you 100%!!

I used MFP and it told me that I need 1350 calories if I need to lose a pound a week. Nothing happened when I stuck to this number of calories with macros of F/P/C of 75/25/5. So I raised it to 1540, which is what I need to lose half a pound a week according to MFP. Again, nothing happened. Whatever I do, I maintain. So far, I tried also IF, two times for two weeks straight with OMAD. Again, nothing. I’m now doing alternating days of IF, but I’m STARVING in the last four hours before I break my fast. I tried and failed a few times to go beyond 16 hours of fasting. So, I’m now giving it the “intuitive eating” a go, eating when I am really hungry and stocking up on the fat.

One thing I started very recently (a couple of days ago) is drinking a soup made of collagen powder, salt, lemon, spices (esp. cardammom), a tbs of ghee or butter and hot water. I’ve been enjoying it very much, and I’m hoping it will keep me satiated for these times when hunger gets too disruptive.

That’s interesting- I have always found that in the past exercising stalls my weight loss- I build muscle and endurance easily, but for some reason my weight doesn’t budge. I have been inspired by all the talk of mitochondria and cellular respiration I’ve been reading so I’m going to try for 30 minutes 4-5 days a week, even if it’s just stair master, but try to lift heavier weights too.

I haven’t been experiencing lots of hunger, but I stil am working on limiting my snacking. Teas have been really helping. Have you seen any benefits from the collagen? Also, have you ever tried following meal plans, like from dietdoctor.com?

Happy March everyone! I completed my first 3 EFs in Feb. 28, 65 and 72 hours to finish the month. I have been planning to do my first 5 day fast during this months Zorn Fast (I would have started a day early on Wednesday March 14). Well my plans have changed because I got an invite to a work lunch at Fogo de Chao on Friday the 16th, and if you don’t know what that restaurant is just think meat, and a lot of it! I can’t pass up a free lunch at a Ketopian’s dream restaurant, so I’m starting my fast on Saturday night so I can break it Thursday night and get ready to pig-out (pun intended) on Friday for lunch.

Last time I had a lot of success drinking 2 bottles of Ketoaide daily and taking Himilayian Pink Salt every couple hours with a lot of sparkling water. I also sucked the salt off of sunflower seeds which helped any psychological cravings and occupied my mouth when I was hungry. It may seem crazy to put a handful of sunflower seeds in your mouth when you’re hungry, but I’m telling you it helped pass the hunger. Lastly, I got some mint toothpicks from Whole Foods and used those when I was sitting with family at dinner time. As a former smoker I need something to distract my mouth.

I hope everyone’s fasting ambitions are wildly successful this month! I will check in during the fast! I’m grateful for these forums!

KCFO
KCKO

-Mike

(Allie) #100

@LizinLowell congrats on the year :slight_smile:

(Allie) #101

@Olivia1 are you restricting calories on your eating days? If so, it’s not the best idea.