Making your own Lard

food
fats
history

(Rob) #1

Just found a great write-up of how to make your own Lard. Great for anyone looking for a good fat which has a high smoke-point.

The detail comes with a little history lesson of how Proctor & Gamble started to manufacture Crisco from cotton seed. An interesting read!.. I’ll have the lard thanks!

(Edith) #2

I decided to try making my own lard just this week. I cannot find nonhydrogenated, preservative free lard where I live. Even the Whole Foods nearby does not sell all natural lard.

So, I bought some pork back fat for $1.15/pound. It’s not the milder leaf fat and it’s not pasture raised, but I still figure it’s better than hydrogenated with preservatives. Rendering worked quite well. I now have over a pint of all natural lard that cost me about two bucks to make. Plus, you get these tasty little crunchies you can salt and eat once the fat is rendered. It’s win, win.

(Raj Seth) #3

I got beef suet (kidney fat) and rendered tallow! 0.79c/lb, and yielded 40% by weight of tallow. Tallow has an even higher smoke point than lard, and IMO has a softer yummier taste!

(Edith) #4

I am going to try that next. I wanted to start with baby steps.