Making it through first illness keto-style

(Jill F.) #1

It has been a rough, long week around here. My son was diagnosed with strep throat on Monday, I went down on Wednesday, and my hubby yesterday.

This is the 1st time EVER in my life I have had a sore throat and runny nose and not eaten chicken noodle soup, crackers, toast, etc. Although some of that sounds good, I have zero appetite and I have been focusing more on hydration, sugar free Power aids, and just enough protein to get down my meds.

It has been so strange to be able to KCKO and really not feel hungry or weak. Anyone else have this experience as a newbie? I am 6 weeks in. Every new experience amazes me how easy this true lifestyle change has been.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

I haven’t been sick yet but I have an unhealthy obsession with taking Airborne when I feel crumby. Thankfully it only has one carb per effervescent tablet. Hope you and yours get well soon!

I was sick last week into this week. Scratchy throat, sneezing, coughing, headache, blowing my nose 24/7. I hardly ate anything, but drank tons of water and kept up with my electrolytes and glycine. Usually at night, I’d have a serving or two of pecans. One night I had a buffalo patty and pecans. Monday I slept all day. Don’t remember what I ate that night. By Tuesday morning, my body seemed to think I was several days into a water fast. When I woke up BG was at 65, BK at 5.2. I decided to eat a bit more that day.

But yeah, I liked that my body could easily access nutrients from my body fat while I wasn’t feeling like ingesting many solids.

(John) #4

I came down with a chest cold in week 7. I have chronic asthma, well-controlled on daily meds, but when I get a chest cold or the flu, it will overwhelm the daily stuff and I have to go on a dose of prednisone right away.

I have learned my lesson in the past from trying to delay starting it until I was SURE I needed it, and that never turned out well. So now I start in right away.

In the past, prednisone always caused me to overeat and gain weight. This time, however, I was able to completely control my hunger and even do a couple of 24 hour fasts while right in the middle of the regimen. I actually LOST weight while taking prednisone.

Other than that, haven’t had to deal with any other illnesses since changing my dietary habits.

(Jill F.) #5

It is overall very awesome! I think this is the first sick weight loss that I believe will stay off! Kind of felt like the 1st keto week all over again with the rapid weight loss.

(Carl Keller) #6

Nothing wrong with some hot and salty, chicken bone broth. Just imagine it’s chicken soup without all the stuff in it. :slight_smile:

A month ago, I was sick with a stomach virus for about 15 hours (for the first time in a decade) while everyone in my household was down and out for 2-3 days. I’m pretty sure bacteria and viruses thrive on sugar and I bet the bodies of keto people are a very hostile environment for those things. :smiley:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #7

I made some awesome keto chicken soup for @Hopeoftheflame this week when she had a throat bug. We used kelp noodles to keep it keto.

(Carl Keller) #8

Brilliant! I used to eat rice rolled up in salty, oiled and toasted kelp and I do miss it. I was struggling for a way to incorporate it into my current diet. Adding it to soup is an excellent idea. :smiley:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #9

Gold Mine Kelp Noodles - low carb, might be zero. Don’t have any left too look at the bag.

Doesn’t taste like kelp (which I love) but has crunch.

(Jill F.) #10

@daddyoh I bought some of these but haven’t tried them yet. They look like worms in the bag! Yuck…I am assuming they taste pretty good

(Carl Keller) #11

Those look kind of like shirataki noodles and I really enjoy the flavor of kelp. I was thinking of trying something like this:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #12

Rinse them twice. Not much taste. It is the mouth feel that helps us. We use them with homemade meatballs with a small amount of diced tomatoes and all thai, chinese and soup dishes. Betty (wife) made 3 pepper chicken tonight and these were the noodles.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #13

Let us know how they taste and workout.

The Shirataki noodles require several rinses and taste more earthy. We like and use both but some don’t like the Shirataki noodles.