Making Ghee using a Crockpot

Some simple instructions I’ve put together for making ghee in a crockpot. No messy or wasteful filtering needed.
If you let the butter get to a golden brown colour it’ll take on a caramelized toffee flavour. Delicious!
I’m not a trained chef, this method is just somethingI have figured out in my own kitchen with a little experimentation, so your feedback is welcomed and encouraged

I’ve been wanting to do this. Thanks!

(Carol E. ) #3

Thanks for your post . :bacon: (I did not see a butter icon, lol)

Any idea why the salt floats to the top?

Sorry I have no idea! But I’ve made ghee many times with this method and the “salt rising phenomenon” :joy: is reproducible every time I make it. I’m wondering if the salt bubbles up with the water of the buttermilk as it is heated up and then it evaporates off, but the salt is left to crust on top of the fat which is slightly cooler at the top of the crockpot?!
While its cooking I do check on it regularly so lifting the lid might be letting the steam evaporate and escape.
But honestly this is wild guesswork so I’ll stop now before i ramble even more hahaha!
Let me know how you get on if you give it a go.

(Carol E. ) #5

I was curious because recently purchased a jar of 4th & Heart salted ghee from Thrive market. I have not tried it yet. I am saving it for a special steak or something. The one thing I missed about ghee versus butter is the salt when used from the jar versus being combined in a dish. I also enjoy trying interesting products.

Total side bar - I just noticed that 4th & Heart have chocolate ghee - oh my!! :grinning:

(Allie) #6

I would never fit my crockpot bowl into my fridge :joy:

(Jack Brien) #7

WHAT! No butter emoji!?! Is this a keto forum or what? Frankly, I’m shocked and wondering if this is really the forum for me :frowning:

Hahaha! I’ll speak to the complaints department :joy: