Making coffee NOT boring..Any ideas?

As I mentioned earlier, this is the unsweetened vanilla almond milk I use in my coffee. A US product but I buy it here in Australia.

(Robert C) #64

Amazon has several Illys - which did you find best?

• Arabica Columbia
  • Classico
  • Forte
  • Intenso

…something else?
I’m stuck on Peet’s Aged Sumatra but, always up for trying something new.

To address the original post - I find that black coffee that is high quality and made correctly (especially grinding beans just before brewing) is much better (after a week or two of adjustment to the bitterness) than playing sweetener and fat calorie games (sweeteners might extend you carb addiction, fat calories mean less bacon and eggs if you’re trying to lose weight).

It also is very helpful if you want to minimize questions around autophagy and/or raising insulin on an EF, IF or even just skipping breakfast because you don’t need to worry about what HWC or almond milk or artificial sweeteners or whatever else will do.

(Wendy) #65

If you dont refrigerate the can. You can shake it up and it will be blended. I use the Thia Kitchen brand. No sugar or other sweeteners. I use it when I make the fat bomb popsicles.

(Kathy Timmons) #66

Hi Art, I told my non keto, skinny, vegetarian, black coffee drinking husband about your Illy coffee. We went to our local grocer, here in the mountains of Central Mexico and there it was!!! He loves it and uses it in his french press. Thanks!!!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #67

The only problem is that Stevia taste lousy. I’m so glad Splenda doesn’t bother me. It’s the only artificial sweetener that tastes good.

(KCKO, KCFO) #68

Splenda tastes weird to me. Stevia doesn’t, I think it has to do with the genes related to bitter flavors.

(Art ) #69

I could never be an international fugitive - they would always catch me due to my Illy addiction.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #70

Could be. I’ve read about stuff like this. Another example, would be like, how every kind of tea I’ve ever tried tasted bitter to me…

(Susan) #71

Have you tried flavoured herbal ones? I love them in the evenings =). I drink them plain or with a tad of unsweetened vanilla flavoured almond milk.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #72

You people! “Making coffee not boring . . .” Coffee is BY DEFINITION not boring! Why ever would you want to ruin it by putting stuff in it? :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

(Kelly Silverman) #73

Glad to see this thread still going strong :muscle::facepunch:
I’ve made a few of the ideas that I’ve seen posted.

I found this in the back of my cabinet… I had completely forgotten about it.

(John) #74

I know I posted before in this thread, but it was from my phone and I couldn’t type much.

I generally drink coffee black. Usually in the morning, 1 or 2 16-oz mugs of it.

At night, if I am trying to stave off the desire for evening post-meal nibbling, I will drink decaf. Sometimes black, but if I want a different taste and a psychological feeling of a “treat” I will add something to it.

You have to watch out for portion sizes - it’s easy to double up on the portion size when you are just pouring from the carton.

I use a 1/8 oz measuring cup, which equals 2 Tbsp. I use Califia Farms Better Half creamer (which is an almond milk / coconut cream combo). They have several variants, all of which are listed as 15 calories per 2 Tbsp serving, 0g carbs. Some are sweetened lightly with monkfruit juice. The carbs apparently are all from fat, 1.5g. Compare to heavy whipping cream, which is 100 calories for 2 Tbsp.

If I want a bit lighter coffee, I will measure out one or two more 1/8oz measuring cups of unsweetened almond milk. I usually get whatever is on sale at my grocery store - Almond Breeze is 30 calories per cup, so 1/8 cup is about 4 calories. They list 1g of carbs and 1g of fiber in a full 1-cup serving size, which is still net 0, so I assume between the two I am getting maybe 1 carb gram max.

So a 20-calorie (mostly fat grams) coffee beverage with a full 1/4 cup of non-dairy creamer.

I like some of the suggestions of adding 100% cocoa powder or cinnamon. One thing I miss, especially in the winter, is a nice mug of hot chocolate. Maybe I can replace that with a mocha-cinnamon-coffee.

I’ll just throw this suggestion out there if anyone wants to make the change, and come over to the dark side - that is coffee, sans cream and sweeteners.

Drinking a few cups of a perfectly balanced, mellow, smooth coffee helps with the transition. And, I’ve had coffee from and in many different countries - but I also started drinking coffee when I was about 6 years old - I truly enjoy the flavor of coffee… But to transition to a dark, French pressed coffee or espresso when you’ve only ever had coffee with cream and sweeteners can be a little daunting. So, I used to drag my non-coffee drinking friends to the Dearborn Inn. There, you can order coffee, and they will bring you a whole carafe. With that, you can convert non-coffee drinkers with a sip. It is the smoothest, most mellow and rich flavor ever. (I can down a whole carafe myself, and enjoy it like a fine wine.)

So, make a field trip out of it. Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford museum across the street…breakfast/brunch/lunch or dinner at the Inn. :grinning:

(Wendy) #76

Something to think about.

(traci simpson) #77

Found this article on Diet_Doctor

Remove artificial sweeteners: If you have been including artificial sweeteners like aspartame or sucralose in your low-carb or keto diet, our experts recommend you wean yourself off them. “While there are not a whole lot of scientific studies, anecdotally we find when people get rid of artificial sweeteners, they were able to lose weight. Come off them as soon as you can,” advises Dr. Westman.

(traci simpson) #79

It has rice starch and vegetable fiber?

(Wendy) #80

Yep! I thought I would stop at circle k in the am on my way to work. And get the big gulp “diet dp” anyway figured ot would make me drink more liquid. Well after a week, I broke out in bumps that where itchy,and zits!!! Geeze I was one of those teenagers that didn’t break out and after a week of diet pop well was crazy. Also had a noticeable change in blood pressure.
Now I have proven it to myself the sensitivity. On multiple occasions. So unfortunately no imitation sweeteners for me. :expressionless:

(traci simpson) #81

Oh wow!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #82

Paul, I half way agree with you ! My coffee is always exciting ! :slight_smile: But its not “coffee” until it gets a fat shot of heavy cream, several Splenda packets, and a nice big shot of pure vanilla extract ! :wink:

(traci simpson) #83

BTW, check your HWC because different ones have different carb/protein/fat contents.