Making coffee NOT boring..Any ideas?

(Kelly Silverman) #1

Hey family,

When I started Keto six months ago I was only doing black coffee in the AM

I’m a coffee enthusiast and I LOVE a good cup of coffee. Lately it’s been boring and I’ve started putting (picture below) original coffee mate in my coffee at work.

Although it isn’t natural, its a really small amount and I’m going to check my BG this afternoon and see if there is an effect on my glucose.

Anyone else use it? Or what do you put in coffee to give it a “Make over” from just being black? All ideas are welcome! :heart:

(John) #2

Califia Farms creamers. Non dairy, very low carbs.

My coffee lately, which is DELICIOUS, is…
Coffee (lol)
Coconut cream (the thick kind from a can)
Mct powder
Monk fruit drops
Cinnamon
Dash of salt

It is so good, I’d pick it over an expensive Starbucks any day!!!

(Kelly Silverman) #4

Soooo expensive… but I’m going to try one!

(Kelly Silverman) #5

Yes! I forgot about that! I’ve tried that before @ coconut cream in the can. Almost forgot how good that was! :heart:

(John) #6

Costs abt the same as half-and-half. Also, can use unsweetened almond milk. Or mix them. When I want a “latte” I do 1/8 cup almond milk and 1/8 cup Califia Farms creamer. About 20 total calories, mostly from fat, abt 1g carb

heavy cream and some himalayan salt. or lately butter and salt.

One of my sons gave me a cannister of Keto Coffee- which has instant coffee mixed with butter, MCT oil and other good stuff. I actually used it like powdered creamer and put it in my black coffee, then added HWC. For sweetener, I either use liquid stevia or Sweet n Low. But I don’t use sweetener often.
The same son gave me a French Press for my Bday,too. Now, if you enjoy a high octane cup of richness…this is the way. Black or with HWC and a pinch of salt…and then the heavens shalll open up and you will hear the angels sing “Hallelujah”!

(Kelly Silverman) #9

Speaking of french press…I got myself a BIGGER one on prime day! Only paid $6…so I can brew more because I plain on making iced coffee for the hot days :grin:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

Coffee-mate is poison non food made from soy oil and corn starch. I gave it up when I started KETO. What’s wrong with HWC? You can get Land O’Lakes in single serve tubs that don’t require refrigeration to carry with you. I enjoyed the hell out of the flavored Coffee-mate but it was sugar addiction for me. I now drink black espresso always. I liked it with HWC but gave that up about a month ago to help break my stall, I’m fine with black and I have an intense dislike of sweet coffee now. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Kelly Silverman) #11

I was waiting on a “Truthful” response about coffemate! LOL
Yes, I figured as much (long sigh)

Although nothing is wrong with HWC, it had just became sorta boring…ya know? I started putting the non flavored coffee mate in my coffee about two days ago when I saw them in the break room…I figured they’d break the monotony of what I’ve been doing for the past 6 months. :woman_shrugging:

I was hoping (PRAYING) someone would say it was harmless in small increments, but by you calling it “Poison” you’ve set me straight :sweat_smile::rofl:

(Kelly Silverman) #12

And YES, I too come from a flavord coffee mate/ International delight background! Once I decided to try Keto, I gave it up cold turkey and I havent had a surgery laced coffee creamer since!

So in my defense, I’ve just been trying to find avenues for how to jazz my coffee up a bit. I see ALLLLLL the new flavors that coffee mate has out now and I wish I could mimic them somehow :woman_facepalming:

(Kelly Silverman) #13

So it’s true that HWC really stalls you???
:thinking::thinking:

(Joey) #14

Well, in fairness, what I do with my morning coffee doesn’t exactly change its color but…

I put a teaspoon of Hershey’s 100% Cacao Chocolate (powder) in my otherwise black, unsweetened French Roast (freshly ground from whole beans) morning coffee. For me at least, it’s not boring at all. It’s DELICIOUS.

I guess I never really had a powerful “sweet tooth” even before this LCFH switchover (from HCLF), so maybe I’m not typical of many others who hang around here… but I find the mocha’ish combination of real coffee and real cacao is a delightful way to start the day.

Warning: If you still have a hankering for something sweet, this ain’t it :slight_smile:

[FYI: 1 teaspoon of the pure cacao powder does have about 1 g of carb, but 0.7 of it is fiber, so if net carbs is what’s important to you, it pretty much rounds to no net carbs of any significance. And cacao isn’t a bad thing to incorporate into your diet anyhow if you google around and see what’s in it.]

(Kelly Silverman) #15

I have some Hershey Cocoa powder… think I’ll try that with some heavy whip.

Now I do recall one time dropping some Lilly’s chocolate in my coffee with HWC and a dash of sea salt… delicious! Might get some chocolate this weekend :raised_hands:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #16

I cold brew my coffee and drink it hot. I make it a complete keto meal to my macros. The mix includes: coconut oil, ghee, MCT oil, whipping cream, ISOGold and AllMax whey powders. Also, 2 grams of my electrolyte mix. After mixing all the ingredients and adding the coffee I blend it at high speed for about 60 seconds. I love it! and look forward to it each and every morning. I’ve been preparing and drinking this almost daily for two years. The following makes 1 liter.

(Kelly Silverman) #17

Wow! That’s pretty detailed…nice chart!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #18

I must confess to being a tracker and a weigher. :wink: When I couldn’t find exactly what I wanted in tracking software online, I made my own using an OO spreadsheet. I record every meal every day plus a summary for each day. I created the food database for it as well and add to that as I find and experiment with new food items.

(traci simpson) #19

Impressive.

(Kelly Silverman) #20

Let me ask you this…Have you ever felt that HWC stalled you?