Magic Spoon thoughts?

(Susan) #1

Finally ordered some Magic Spoon cereal after hearing it advertised for months on one of my favorite podcasts…have tried two of the flavors and they’re not bad (frosted and peanut butter). I only had whole milk on hand so splashed a little of it in the bowl and added some HWC to mix in with…made a nice little treat. Think I’ll get some almond/coconut milk so there’s less chance to trigger cravings for whole milk. Maybe eat for a meal replacement no more than 3 times a week?

(Allie) #2

It’s not available here in the UK which I suspect is a good thing for me, as it sounds like it may be a trigger food for me, based on what I know of it. I suspect it’s really just the same as a whey protein shake, not necessary at all if you’re getting your protein from the whole foods in your normal diet.

(Eric) #3

I have seen this online and was at least curious because it had allulose instead of sugar alcohols if I recall correctly. I tried Catalina Crunch and it was crap and I threw it out. To be honest I don’t really crave sweet any longer so have decided to leave well enough alone around things like cold cereal. That said I have had good luck finding an acceptable low carb bread that agrees with me and tastes pretty decent.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Breakfast cereals were invented by the Kellogg brothers to provide people with an alternative to bacon, eggs, and steak for breakfast. As followers of Ellen G. White, the Prophetess of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, the Kelloggs believed that eating meat stimulated lustful thoughts and sexual behaviour, and that people should eat a vegetarian diet instead.

I bought Wonderworks Keto Friendly Cereal and love it drizzled with a little heavy cream. I think it tastes just like peanut butter captain crunch. Although I haven’t actually had captain crunch in years. However, my husband poured a bowl with milk, took one bite, and threw it away (which was disappointing, because it’s expensive). So I guess you either love it or hate it, but if you’re missing cereal, it might be worth a try.

(Allie) #6

They were made out of cereals though, magic spoon is made out of whey protein and completely free of cereals. That said though, I’m still not sure it’d be a good idea.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

I know what you mean, though at least whey protein is an alternative for those who can’t deal with gluten (and who won’t be triggered—like me, lol!).

And there you go wrecking my memories of Frosted Flakes! If Magic Spoon figures those out… it’s gonna be bad!

It has always worked that way for me…

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #10

It sounds delicious, but I find processed food in general problematic, whether it’s labelled “keto-friendly” or not. Same issues as I’ve had with low-carb ice creams and other processed foods:

• I suspect sweeteners, even allulose, trigger an insulin response even where they do not push glucose levels up. I’ve had this confirmed by top medical researchers (including one who is in line for a Nobel). In general, I try to avoid sweeteners.
  • All these various types of proteins, like “wheat proteins” – I’ve always suspected they are unhelpful.
  • These products almost always contain seed oils. I just checked and this product is no exception. (“Vegetable oils”)

On the other hand, I always justified eating low carb ice cream as “well it’s better than having sugary crap.” If you’re going to have cereal anyway… then eat this. No point making the perfect the enemy of the good!

here is peanut butter cereal from magic spoon:

Milk Protein Blend
Whey protein isolate and casein have perfect amino acid profiles and smooth textures.

Sweetener Blend
Monk Fruit - A fruit native to Southeast Asia that was first cultivated by Buddhist monks in the 13th century and traditionally used in herbal medicine.

Allulose - A natural “sugar” found in things like figs and maple syrup, allulose tastes just like regular sugar but has almost no calories and no impact on blood sugar.

Stevia - A plant native to South America, with leaves up to 150x as sweet as sugar. It’s been consumed for over 1,500 years

Oil Blend
Our high-oleic sunflower oil contains the same healthy monounsaturated fats found in extra virgin olive oil, and avocado oil packs in even more healthy monounsaturated fats along with vitamin E and antioxidants.

Tapioca Starch
Tapioca is made from cassava, a starchy root consumed by over half a billion people and naturally gluten-free.

Peanut Oil
High in both monounsaturated fat and vitamin E.

Peanut Flour
A powerful plant protein and a good source of zinc and potassium.

Chicory Root Inulin
This prebiotic fiber keeps you full, and your gut bacteria healthy.

Natural Flavors
We never use any artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.

but from the net:
What Does “Natural Flavors” Really Mean? The FDA defines natural flavors as those that get their flavor or aroma from naturally derived sources, like fruits, veggies, meat, seafood, spices, eggs, roots, yeast, dairy…you get the picture. Those natural flavorings can still be manipulated in a lab for the final product, just like artificial flavorings. (so at this point what ‘chemical extras’ are here in the product we will never know)

Peanut Extract
Just to make things even more peanut butter-y.

Salt
Because a pinch of salt makes everything better.

-----------------OK that is Magic Spoon peanut butter cereal.
IF IT SUITS YOU GO FOR IT :sunny:
if the above shows you something you don’t desire then cool.

but ‘what a manufactured product’ is and how we want to allow it in our lives is key for forward success on a personal note to each of us.

so read it all and choose. everyone has a way forward that works but when I saw Magic Spoon on a commercial I laughed like crazy saying another high priced ‘keto friendly’ product to ‘warp people’ (this is me, my opinion cause I can’t go here eating stuff like this) and YET I EASILY say some can function ok on it and does well on it but I think for the majority, it is a trigger and ick way forward but I truly think many can use and eat and THRIVE IF YOU are that person so??

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Gary Taubes says this is documented. The sweet taste primes the pump, as it were, and stimulates an insulin release. In the U.S., at least, non-sugar sweeteners may not be sold, unless the manufacturer can prove that the sweetener will not elevate serum glucose. Unfortunately, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has no concerns about effects on insulin, so it’s never tested for.

(Allie) #13

That would make me ill.

(Robin) #14

Me too. My body would rebel. And then probably repel.

yea when we see truths in ‘just what is the ELUSIVE’ great Keto happy go lucky convenice food is truly we find it won’t suit so many of us…but darn there are some engage and do fine LOL we gotta put this down to those that can will I guess :slight_smile:

If you are one who can, enjoy and make it work for you in the lifestyle way you can truly enjoy and move forward!
if you are one who can’t run like the dickens :sunny:

Sounds something inedible to me… Mostly because of the sweeteners, I HATE most of them because of their awful taste. It’s good, even if my country had such products, I would avoid them :smiley:

But if it works for someone, sure, it may be the better option. I still don’t get why people eat cereals, they never looked like food to me… I tasted some when my country got them when I was a big kid and they weren’t good. It’s odd, grains make some tasty stuff, at least for a high-carber’s palate, I dislike starch flavor nowadays and tapioca isn’t an exception. No flavoring can mask that. Maybe this stuff has it in tiny enough amounts (and the sweeteners rule the taste anyway for me so it’s a moot point)…
But this is personal taste and habit again. I am super far from my big starch eating times, no wonder I don’t like them now.

(Vic) #17

Magic spoon…boehooeee… Magic yea right.

My thoughts on it.

1 toxic junkfood
2 deception
3 marketing wank.

(Susan) #18

Interesting! I’d never heard that part of the Kellogg story, wow.

(Susan) #19

My husband just tried the peanut butter one, asked him what he thought and he said “it was okay” which his code for he didn’t really like it, won’t try it again most likely :smile: Thought I might be able to get him off his Crunchy Raisin Bran but this isn’t likely.

(Allie) #20

http://www.historyofcereals.com/