Macro tracker that's NOT mfp?

I can show which “Nutrient Targets” are shown so that I display Fat, Protein and Carbs in the website and app, although it still only shows them as percentages. I can change the grams for each target by clicking on it. It doesn’t seem to know what to do with minimum Carbs as 0, so displays “n/a”. LOL

(Shalyn) #42

I switched to this as well, unfortunately MFP has a large database but it’s completely inaccurate. Everyone who uses it adds what they want, if they add it wrong it still goes to data base… arggg! Love Ketoapp . Still has a long way to go to be an awesome app but they are working on it :blush:

(Jeffrey Barry) #43

Yeah I’m liking it. Ketodiet will be adding UPC shanking and a product database this year. Also adding ketone logging and graphing section. :ok_hand::ok_hand:

(Shalyn) #44

Yip I’m sticking with it! :smile:

(Crow T. Robot) #45

Install Adblock and they’re gone.

As an aside, I also like Cron-O-Meter’s protein breakdown. It actually gives you amino acid profile of various foods. If you care about that sort of thing…

I have ad blockers on my desktop browsers, but I wasn’t aware of anything that would block the internal ads for an iOS app, which is why I went Gold.

For someone who wanted use Cronometer for free with a web browser, I would recommend they use it with a decent ad blocker.

Depending on your definition of nerd or geek (I prefer geek), I’m a geek’s geek and I love all the data!

I’m a multi-faceted software developer that spans being a software engineer, database administrator, virtual network engineer (waning hardware skills), as well as a former paramedic, and paraphrase @Marty_Kendall who says, “I’m an engineer and I believe that a large enough spreadsheet can solve any problem.” :wink:

I currently own the paid/subscription versions of MyFitnessPal (MFP), Cronometer (COM) and KetoDietApp (KDA).

I actually enjoy dual-entering the information into iOS apps for COM and MFP, but I can’t stand to even open KDA; I respect that some people like KDA, but there are too many steps to do the same things in COM and MFP and it just looks unpolished. I know that KDA is a work-in-progress and I will continue to watch it.

Regardless of their official designations, but considering their features, performance, and reliability, I would classify COM as late beta, MFP as early beta and KDA as alpha.

@mikki likes Fat Secret, but so far haven’t looked at it to see where it fits into the available apps so far.

Application for tracking carbs, etc
(eat more) #47

i rather like you’re nerd-geek-engineerness but once upon a time i was a unix admin…senior even :blush:

i’m with you…i won’t even open KDA…or MFP…FS is free. i do wish that it had some sort of macro meter and could set “meals” rather than just B,L,D, and snacks

Hello,
i found the best for me is FDDB extender. It is available for web, iOS and Android. Basic usage is free of charge, premium membership for one year is 19,90€ which i bought. For me it is worth the money. I can post some screenshots if anyone is interested.

(betsy.rome) #49

Please do.

(eat more) #50

yes please since it’s in german on the app store :blush:

I assume that based on my level i can add just one or two pics.

Dashboard of FDDB Extender on iOS (edited with GIMP, in real you have to scroll):
At a glance i can see my targeted kCals, reached kCals and allowed carbs because of excercise (i disabled that), distribution of fat, protein and carbs, can see target values and reached values.
Also the intake of water

If i tap on Details below the nutritional data i got this:

Hi mikki, this is may a disadvantage. I a from germany, i do not know if this app has an english language interface.

(Crow T. Robot) #53

It occurred to me afterwards that you might be talking about the mobile app, which I don’t use, sorry. What do you think of it, besides the intrusive ads?

I like the features of MFP in general, but the iOS app is just too slow at times and has not gotten better in many months; the food database inaccuracies seems to be something common to these apps in general.

Although Cronometer’s database tracks a lot of micronutrients, it still looks like the food database is incomplete and is supplemented by entering my own items or picking things that are close, but not quite right. For example, there’s no direct match for several of the bacon brands I use and just using “Bacon, Pork” doesn’t add up to ANY of the labels on the package, which is frustrating. At least in MFP, most of these things are already entered, even if they occasionally aren’t accurate.

(betsy.rome) #55

Has anyone used MyNetDiary? I used to use it back when I “dieted”. Useful feature was ability to scan a product barcode and add its nutritional info to the database.

(Thomi M) #56

I was about to suggest MyNetDiary. I really like it, and find it pretty flexible. For keto I ignore all of their advice, of course. You can set macros as you please, along with a calorie and target date if losing. A long list of other factors can be followed. Lots of charts and graphs, but probably not enough for the true data hound :wink: I have found the database pretty good, and there is a good scanner. Support is good. No ads in my version, and the app is priced reasonably.

(eat more) #57

fatsecret shortcoming
you can’t use a recipe as an ingredient in another recipe

my head hurts from all of the maths

sautéed mushrooms were the original recipe -> base for sautéed cream of mushroom soup -> ingredient in my version of chicken divan

divide by 7464858, carry the 1, divide again by 65474, subtract 42, add 15…ok obviously not but what a pain :joy:

(Brian S) #58

I am new to Keto traditionally being a more Zone/Paleo eater for the past 20 years. I have always struggled with a good Food Tracker, and I tend to like programs where I don’t have to use one. It’s one of the reasons I have stayed away from Keto for so long. Admittedly, I have also not tried MFP.

I recently started using Cronometer to help me get over the hump with using a tracker for Keto. One of my favorite features is helping me identify where my carbs and protein are coming from by clicking on the category. It literally brings up a listing of all the foods that had the given macro and how much based on my portion. I have been quite shocked at how unaware of the macro content of some of my favorite standby foods.

(Jo O) #59

Because I started HeadsUpHealth last week, just about all data has to go through Fitbit. Fortunately Ketonix syncs with HeadsUpHealth.

I used to use MyNetDiary Pro. It’s ok. Definitely better that MFP and Fitbit. I LOVE being able to create recipes in there. Like other apps, there’s a lot of junk in the food database.

But they keep migrating the better features to the Maximum level $$$ at $9/month.
You can no longer customize the macros in free or Pro.

Also ONLY Maximum exports to Fitbit. I just spent a few hours with tech support trying to get it to work or at least a workaround. No luck.

So now I’m in a quandary about giving up food data in HeadsUpHealth and continue to use MyNetDiary or use the Fitbit apps feeble food diary.

(bulkbiker) #60

I just use an excel spreadsheet… Takes a few seconds to add my meals and I can check the nutrients against supermarket sites (in the UK) rather than relying on what other people have uploaded to MFP.