Macro tracker that's NOT mfp?

(Todd Allen) #21

Another vote for cronometer. The free browser based version is fairly complete allowing one to set their own targets, and add their own foods and recipes. It has breakdowns of each macro, proteins by amino acid, carbs as sugars, starches and fiber and fats as pufa, mufa & safa. And it tracks an extensive list of vitamins and minerals.

(eat more) #22

ok iā€™m not crazy orā€¦we both areā€¦iā€™ve been considering getting this and entering in both fatsecret and keto diet app :joy:

(Phoenix) #23

Iā€™ve just found that itā€™s been getting slower and slower in updating /
copying / entering data since theyā€™ve brought in the Premium version.
Itā€™s also crashing a lot even if I keep up to date with my app updates.

I also think the food database is really messy, with the same food entered
by all sorts of people so you end up not knowing which one is the correct
one to use.

Being on Keto now also means Iā€™d prefer to enter specific goals for my
macro, but I can only do it in 5% increments unless I pay for the premium
version, which Iā€™m too cheap to do :stuck_out_tongue:

I like Fatsecrets ability to let you view net carbs only on the summary,
and custom daily goal, as I like to adjust my daily targets pending on if I
exercised or not that day.

However, I do like one feature in MFP - the ability to have progress photos
and place them side by side with the selected dates, itā€™s pretty handy.

(eat more) #24

i just discovered that fat secret does this for recipes!

https://discourse-cdn-sjc1.com/ketogenicforums/uploads/default/original/2X/6/6f24ca3eed224c8642a5eb8c3eddcaa91b7f73b8.PNG

(David) #25

huh, I canā€™t say that Iā€™ve ever experienced reliability problems or a significant slow-down.

I also enter most stuff by barcode, and it finds almost everything for me.

I understand the premium features model. Itā€™s because everyone wants something for free, so you get a basic app, and then pay for features. In the old computer software model you would have had to find a public domain app on a floppy disk from a computer fair, or download one from a BBS or the internet, or, pay for a commercial app costing Ā£20-Ā£30 and rarely ever get updates or bug-fixes.

Having said that, I might try one of the other trackers mentioned here.

(Bacon for the Win) #26

I use and like paleotrack.com, the free version. Good thing I like it because I have so much entered there I would hate to start over some place else.

(David) #27

Yeah, entering this data, and then not being able to get MY data out at some point in the future is a concern.

With MFP I could probably get a premium subscription for a month then export it.

(eat more) #28

@BillJay
did you end up downloading the Keto Diet App?
i finally did last night and iā€™m undecided but that may just be unfamiliarity

Yes, and I didnā€™t like the Keto Diet App - the database was not anywhere near as complete and the interface doesnā€™t give me all the information I expect to see in one place and given that @Marty_Kendallā€™s Nutrient Optimizer is going to work with Cron-O-Meter, I think thatā€™s the next one Iā€™m going to try.

(eat more) #30

this is why i hate paying for apps that donā€™t let you try before you buy
iā€™ll check out the optimizer thread

(Marty Kendall) #31

@mikki more details of the Nutrient Optimiser here. Let me know if you have any question.

(Mike W.) #32

I have to admit I no longer hate MFP. I found out if you enter a website link for a recipe it will automatically figure out all the ingredients, quantities, and macros. Genius!

(eat more) #33

premium or free?

wait never mind i just remembered that i canā€™t see my meal or daily macros in one place with mfp lol

(Mike W.) #34

Free.

I went Premium with MFP and my biggest complaint is how slow itā€™s become since they started adding all the features; the features are nice, but when I have to wait several seconds after typing in order for something to show up in the search box, thereā€™s something wrong.

After performance issues, another issue with MFP is arguably itā€™s strength and weakness at the same time - the food database. It covers a lot of foods and variations, but itā€™s entered by users and not always accurate and as @Marty_Kendall has said, it doesnā€™t track the micronutrients well and just tracking macronutrient values used to be good enough for me, but not anymore.

I just signed up for CRON-O-Meter and Iā€™ll see how it works.

(eat more) #36

iā€™ll stick with fatsecret until i read your review :blush:

All I can so so far about CRON-O-Meter Gold (COM) is that the free version didnā€™t appeal to me because of the ads and didnā€™t include the ability to break meals up into groups.

I think if I didnā€™t need an iOS app for COM, the free version with the website wouldā€™ve been acceptable.

The website and the COM iOS app looks pretty and it is consistently far faster than MFP.

MFPā€™s food database has far more entries and Iā€™ve spent extra time entering things in COM that were already present in MFP, but as time goes on, thatā€™s less likely to be an issue.

Iā€™ll be giving COM some more time while dual-entering information into MFP.

(Cindy) #38

Great discussion! Iā€™ve been more and more dissatisfied with MFP, so looking for a new option.

While dual-entering into CRON-O-Meter and MyFitnessPal, I have started entering in COM first and MFP second on several occasions now.

(eat more) #40

i signed up for the free web account
looking at the screen shots on the app storeā€¦can you change the macros from percentages to grams and which macros are shown?