Macadamia Nuts ~ serving size?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

You might want to look into a twelve step program :wink:

(Donna Peterkin) #15

Trader Joe’s has a great selection of nuts, big bags, low prices.

(Doug) #16

“Serving size” for Macadamia nuts… :smile:

Personally, regardless of container size, there’s only one serving in there.

(Robert C) #17

One thing to do is ensure you do your research before grabbing on to what looks like a “too good to be true” thing.

It seems that sometimes, to bring costs down, companies will use (for example) peanut oil in the processing of marginal-quality-to-begin-with “high end” nuts (walnuts, macadamia nuts, almonds etc.) to make big bags sold at low prices. (I think this is happening less and less though.)

Along with research - monitor your habits. If you think a scale or nut count is needed to limit you - then notice how things really go over time. Do you worry about when you can get your next pile of nuts or is it just another keto thing in the kitchen that doesn’t attract you more or less than any other keto thing? Plenty of people around here have mentioned they can’t deal with nuts because they over eat.

Because nuts are fried or roasted and salted they are hyper-palatable - easily leading to eating much more than the intended 11 nuts. One option is to go raw and unsalted - get the same (or sometimes better) nutrition dense food without the urge to overeat (for some people anyway).

I haven’t been in a while as from memory it’s mostly fruit, veg, carby snacks etc - but my (non keto) wife often goes there so I’ll tag along next time. Thanks! I’ll look out for some.

My only problem with the Costco ones is the bag is huge. It’s like a six month supply for me!

Well yes, we know about you and bacon! Would you eat a large sack of macadamia nuts?

(Doug) #20

Just how large is “large”? You mean like more than I could lift? :slightly_smiling_face:

Being totally serious - those nuts are perhaps the most compelling thing I’ve ever found, as far as eating one, eating several, and the compulsion to keep going.

(Donna Peterkin) #21

Macadamias come in 10oz bags for $10. Just checked, I thought the bag weighed more from the looks of it, so good to know 1/10 of bag is a serving, thought I’d been overdoing em. So yeah, Traders Joes, all KINDS of keto stuff, actually…precooked ready to heat delicious pork belly, great meats of all types, HWC in little boxes that require no refrigeration (til opened) and plenty of veggies, wine and liquor, if that’s your thing.

(Scott) #22

I am lucky to make it a week on costco bag but I do let my wife have a few.

(Scott) #23

Its too funny, I sat down with a hand full right before checking this thread.

very-big-carry-bag

One of those, full of macadamia nuts. One sitting. You game?

Thanks! I really had overlooked it from a meats perspective. I might visit today after I pick up my daughter from preschool nearby.

Haha. You’re nuts!

(Donna Peterkin) #25

Well, not quite that large. If you like truffles, try the white truffle marcona almonds, although I can see where they’d be an acquired taste, but yeah, check out the store, and nutritional values are clear on everything, cept maybe some wheel-cut cheeses. Have fun.

(Running from stupidity) #26

I’ll back Doug. C’mon, money on the table.

(Doug) #27

No - I’m on a fast. :stuck_out_tongue:

But if I was eating and that big backpack was full of regular-sized bags of Macadamias, I could pull out a double handful of bags and rip right through them. It’s a mellow, creamy, buttery, rich-yet-subtle taste…

(Bob M) #28

Macadamias are hard to find other than at Costco, and often even hard to find there. I buy them at Costco, and it really is a 6 month supply, but that’s ok. When I’m tired of eating meat, macadamias can sometimes hit the spot.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #29

Rated top by the Wirecutter, just got mine yesterday… replacing both a big old kitchen scale and my breadmaking gram digital scale. Accurate to the gram, easy to read, and 5 KG max weight.

(Central Florida Bob ) #30

In the south, well at least here in central Florida, Publix grocery stores carries good macadamia nuts. It’s 12 oz for $11, IIRC, and they’re better than the last Mauna Loa nuts I had.

They are practically perfect little fat pills, aren’t they? :drooling_face:

The biggest problems is that our local stores are out for long spells. I think keto is catching on around here.

This! I love my scale. I’ve had it for years.

(Cindy) #32

LOL, I could just see me picking out the smallest nuts to weigh out for 1 oz…and then actually pick the biggest ones to count out for eating. :smiley:

(Running from stupidity) #33

Yeah, I think there’s meant to be a stronger nexus between the weighing and eating bits than that :slight_smile: