Macadamia Nuts ~ serving size?

Hi, went to Costco today and found a big bag of macadamia nuts. 24 grams of fat, 2 grams of protein and 2 grams of carbohydrates. Ingredients macadamia nuts and salt. Serving size is 1 oz. My question is how many nuts equal 1 oz? Just looking for a rough estimate as they will differ in size. Thanks

About 11 according to google.

Might be worth buying a kitchen scale - it will come in handy :slightly_smiling_face:

(John) #3

I usually just use the palm of the hand as a rough guide. slight mound in the palm is pretty close for me

(Jennibc) #4

That’s where I get mine and sometimes they are very large and sometimes they are not. I have a kitchen scale so I weigh mine. BUT we went on a trip over Christmas and so I decided to count them when I weighed so I could bring the on the trip and not have to drag a scale along. I have had 9 reach 30 gs and I have had 13 reach 30g s so it depends on the size of the nut. Those kitchen scales aren’t that expensive and are so worth the money! Then you never have to wonder again.

(Garry (Canada)) #5

I just measured my Costco ones and 1oz/28g is exactly 10 pieces.

I second this. I get 1 pound bags of smoked almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, and pecans. I weigh out 1/4 oz of each and bag them up for a 2 oz snack with only 3 net carbs and a whooping 40.5 g fat, 8 g protein. Great snack to hold you over for a while. Plus if i eat one a day I get almost a whole month worth of snacks for about $20-30 depending on the same at my local store.

If you use Carb Manager app for tracking and make this mixed nuts snack I loaded it as My Keto Mixed Nuts to the database.

(Running from stupidity) #7

Scales are an indispensable kitchen device.

I can see a Target trip in my future. Any other kitchen tools worth buying ?

(Running from stupidity) #9

a GOOD knife. a GOOD frying pan. a GOOD wooden (I prefer bamboo) chopping board. some GOOD microfiber cloths. Some pretty plates to shoot your meals on. #ohwait

Those macadamia nuts are amazing, honestly some of the best I’ve found out there. While travelling recently I had to make do with Mauna Loa ones and wasn’t impressed compared to the Kirkland brand ones.

I normally eat six in a go, maybe a few times a week.

Hmm, yum, I’ll look for them next time I go Costco.

Apparently very bad for dogs so I’ll have to watch out …

(Sorry I don’t know how many per ounce)

(Sheri Knauer) #12

I weigh mine as well. 30g. You can find a kitchen scale for less than $20. That is one kitchen tool I use all the time.

(Scott) #13

Rule of thumb is about a half bag. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

You might want to look into a twelve step program :wink:

(Donna Peterkin) #15

Trader Joe’s has a great selection of nuts, big bags, low prices.

(Doug) #16

“Serving size” for Macadamia nuts… :smile:

Personally, regardless of container size, there’s only one serving in there.

(Robert C) #17

One thing to do is ensure you do your research before grabbing on to what looks like a “too good to be true” thing.

It seems that sometimes, to bring costs down, companies will use (for example) peanut oil in the processing of marginal-quality-to-begin-with “high end” nuts (walnuts, macadamia nuts, almonds etc.) to make big bags sold at low prices. (I think this is happening less and less though.)

Along with research - monitor your habits. If you think a scale or nut count is needed to limit you - then notice how things really go over time. Do you worry about when you can get your next pile of nuts or is it just another keto thing in the kitchen that doesn’t attract you more or less than any other keto thing? Plenty of people around here have mentioned they can’t deal with nuts because they over eat.

Because nuts are fried or roasted and salted they are hyper-palatable - easily leading to eating much more than the intended 11 nuts. One option is to go raw and unsalted - get the same (or sometimes better) nutrition dense food without the urge to overeat (for some people anyway).

I haven’t been in a while as from memory it’s mostly fruit, veg, carby snacks etc - but my (non keto) wife often goes there so I’ll tag along next time. Thanks! I’ll look out for some.

My only problem with the Costco ones is the bag is huge. It’s like a six month supply for me!

Well yes, we know about you and bacon! Would you eat a large sack of macadamia nuts?

(Doug) #20

Just how large is “large”? You mean like more than I could lift? :slightly_smiling_face:

Being totally serious - those nuts are perhaps the most compelling thing I’ve ever found, as far as eating one, eating several, and the compulsion to keep going.