Lucky Humans Just Ate the Very First Lab-Grown Chicken Tenders

chicken
science
stemcells
lab

(Derek I. Batting) #1

Lucky Humans Just Ate the Very First Lab-Grown Chicken Tenders

Ryan F. Mandelbaum
Today 2:07pmFiled to: YOU GUYS COULDN’T EVEN SEND US A SINGLE FROZEN CHICKEN TENDER?

A San Francisco startup plated some fairly familiar dishes at a tasting yesterday, like fried chicken with collard greens and duck l’orange. But these meats didn’t come from gutted bird corpses. They were all lab-grown, and our lab-grown meat experts are bummed we were not invited to taste, too. Not that we would have been able to go or anything, we’re very busy. But come on, guys!

Others have attempted to serve up these non-slaughter meats, and have already created cultured burgers. But poultry is a whole ‘nother ball game, and the startup, Memphis Meats, claims to be the first to hit this high-flying (or flightless) milestone.

Apparently, it tasted very good.

“The duck l’orange was tender and juicy and loaded with savory flavors,” Emily Byrd, a spokesperson for the Good Food Institute, a nonprofit that looks to advance the field of slaughter-less meat, told Gizmodo. “They really nailed the texture and mouthfeel. It’s funny to talk about, because it’s a hundred percent real meat, so it tasted like what it was, meat.”

These high-tech meat makers like Memphis Meats strive to create all of the flavor and nutrition of meat without the killing. As we’ve previously reported, other cultured meats begin with stem cells and nutrients, grown in thin layers to keep them oxygenated. Then the gross part—some products needed to be bathed in fetal bovine serum, essence of unborn baby cow blood, which helps the meat to grow larger. These meats were made with a process that eliminated the serums, and removing fetal bovine serum is one of Memphis Meats’ priorities. “We’re actively reducing it from every step of our production process.” Eric Schulze, Senior Scientist at Memphis Meats, told Gizmodo.

But fetal bovine serum is not that gross, seeing as the alternative is killing animals who often live in pretty rough conditions in an industry that contributes greenhouse gases to the environment. Chicken already takes up a 90 billion dollar share of the annual American meat market, and may soon become the world’s most-consumed meat. That’s a whole lot of slaughtering, and these lab grown meat companies hope to offer a more humane option.

“People have to eat meat despite how it’s produced,” said Byrd. “Once there’s this alternative that’s safer and doesn’t harm animals and is better for the environment, there’s no reason people won’t flock to it.”

There’s definitely some competition in this space. Another lab-grown meat Company, SuperMeat had set out to create lab grown chicken as well but hasn’t done it yet, said Byrd. Memphis Meats debuted its lab grown meatball back in 2016, and folks have made lab-grown burgers in the past, the first of which apparently didn’t taste very good. Memphis Meats wouldn’t say whether they could one day make weird meats like giraffe, but we get it, it’s probably better to start with a chicken tender first.

Regular ol’ animal meat companies like Tyson Foods and Hormel also seem to have noticed the lab-grown meat movement. Tyson might offer venture capital to these kinds of projects and Hormel thought it was a good “long term” idea, according to a story published in the Wall Street Journal.

Memphis Meats was able to serve chicken to the two dozen or so attendees to yesterday’s event, and will continue scaling up its product. The Wall Street Journal cites a “1 pound of chicken meat for less than $9,000" cost estimate, but that cost is dropping rapidly with each new batch, Steve Myrick, the company’s vice president of business development, told Gizmodo. He hopes that by the time the slaughter-free meats hit stores by 2021, the cost matches that of regular meat.

“Any consumer that wants to consume [our] meat for ethical or financial reasons should be able to do so and have that choice on the market,” said Schulze.

Hopefully we get to try it before then.

[Good Food Institute via the Wall Street Journal]

Source: Gizmodo

Seriously? This is probably how the zombie apocalypse will start…:astonished:

I prefer my :poultry_leg: NOT grown in a lab.

(Tom) #3

@Kyz

I’m always in for a good ZA novel, but not to live through o…urgh… BRAINS!!!

Hmmm, I’m wanting to try cow brains, does that make me a zombie? :wink:

…I might even try chicken brains as long as they’re not grown in a lab!

(Genevieve Biggs) #6

:rage: :rage: :rage:

(Ashley Haddock) #7

:zipper_mouth:

(Dustin Cade) #8

there was an episode of a show called “Better off Ted” it was a comedy that revolved around a company that was not ethical at all, in the episode they were growing “Lab Meat”

it was a pretty funny but short lived TV show…

I’m on the fence about this, I think the idea and the fact they are able to do it is exciting, though I’m sure it would have consequences, we wont know about for 20 years…

(Genevieve Biggs) #9

I’ve read/watched enough dystopia in which they are eating fake meat, and real meat is a delicacy. I don’t want that kind of world.

(Derek I. Batting) #10

So we’re all pro-murder then?

Edit: excuse my flippant use of language. I clearly must have meant taking-of-life when I said murder.

(Genevieve Biggs) #11

I am pro-consumption of animals as we have been eating for thousands of years.

(Derek I. Batting) #12

Isn’t bring able to consume animal meat without the murder and environmental impact better? If the meat is just as clean and pure (If not more so considering it’s grown in sterile conditions), wouldn’t that be a step or two forward?

(Genevieve Biggs) #13

I wouldn’t consider anything grown in a lab to be clean and pure. That is butchering of the English language, as well as traditional sensibilities.

(Derek I. Batting) #14

Is it possible you’ve never been in a lab?

(Genevieve Biggs) #15

I have. Life must come from life. Anything grown in a lab is not true life, and is thus neither clean nor pure. It may be sterile, but it is not clean or pure.

(AnnaLeeThal) #16

“Murder: the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.”

Key words human and unlawful. I would make a pretty fair guess that no one around here is for this.

(Derek I. Batting) #17

It’s isn’t life, it’s animal-based protein. That doesn’t make it any less clean or pure.

(Derek I. Batting) #18

For those interested in lab-grown or “cultured” meats:

(Steve) #19

Did anyone find it humorous that the spokeswoman was named ‘Byrd’??:poultry_leg: :laughing:

(Derek I. Batting) #20

I sweat I didn’t even notice that! That’s hilarious! :joy: