Lucky Humans Just Ate the Very First Lab-Grown Chicken Tenders

chicken
science
stemcells
lab

(Genevieve Biggs) #21

Right, I don’t want animal-based protein. I want meat. And I want it bleeding.

(Genevieve Biggs) #22

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

(Dustin Cade) #23

I’m not opposed to meat grown in an industrialized lab setting… though think of the possibilities of being able to grow human organs for those who need them, not needing to wait for a donor… of course I imagine this would be expensive and only for the elite for a long time… of course we have loads of fiction writings that point to these things as happening in dystopian futures…

(Derek I. Batting) #24

It’s already happening in a proof-of-concept kind of way. As the technology improves (and drugs that cancel out rejection of organs or being grown from the person’s own stem cells), this will cost less and less and won’t be for the elite so much as everyone. It’ll be incredibly cost-effective for hospitals and universities to be able to do this eventually whereas the donor system is fraught with delays and organs actually going bad due to bureaucratic red tape and such. An organ grown on-site where the patient will be from their own cells would be amazing.

Moreover, we’re also working on 3D printing organs. Imagine how amazing THAT will be.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-08/scientists-engineer-lab-grown-heart-tissue-beats-its-own

http://www.nature.com/news/the-printed-organs-coming-to-a-body-near-you-1.17320

(Dustin Cade) #25

listening to Joe Rogans podcast, he talks about stem cell therapy he’s received for injuries and how they’ve healed him and he feels great… though he does work close with the Dr.s and the MMA…

(Zack F) #26

Soilent Green is made out of people!

Soylent Green IS people!

(Tom) #29

That must have been one biiiiig animal. I’m surprised it’s still good after all these years!

(Zack F) #30

Forgive me I haven’t seen it in twenty years.

Will they also have lab grown fat as well or do you add the fat through cooking in butter or oil?

(Rob) #32

Remember what it tasted of… Despair! :flushed:

That was an under-rated show IMHO.