Lower carb bread for sandwiches you can get in a real store in the US

(Bob M) #1

We’re trying to get our daughter to take sandwiches instead of eating school meals. We’re getting her some buns for her sandwiches now. I’d like to see if we can move to lower carb.

Can anyone recommend lower carb bread for sandwiches you can get in a real store in the US? Something where I can go down the massive isle of breads and look for this bread?

I don’t think we can do frozen, as we’d like to make multiple sandwiches on say Sunday so that she has food for several days.

Thank you.

(Ohio ) #2

Ezekiel. Its frozen however. So I’m no help.

This winter I’ll be 90-100% meat. But last summer I screwed with resistance starches with varying levels of success. And failures. And a seizure. Ezekiel products seem to be nutrient dense from my observation. Low carb breads consistently contain preservatives and stabilizers. Dave’s killer is sliced really thin, as they r aware of carb hit associated with bread.

I use Lewis Bake Shop Healthy Life Keto Bread. They have it at both grocery stores in my small town as well as Walmart. Lewis Bake Shop also makes keto hamburger buns and hot dog buns.

We ate Daily Bread Flax Meal bread we bought from Whole Foods. The Daily Bread bakery is located in Ohio so I’m not sure if this is just local to my area WFM’s. It’s on Amazon (available from WFM). It has 6 net carbs per slice. And it does contain wheat gluten. It’s not frozen and tastes pretty good, like bread. It’s really good toasted or made into French toast.

https://dailybreadbakeryoh.com/product/flax-meal/

(Bob M) #6

@Hippie I’ve heard of that bread. I wonder if I could heat it and it would last a few days? I may have to test that out. And I’ve also tried resistant starch, but that made things worse for me.

Thanks, @angdilla and @Blue1, I’ll look for those.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Not sure it’s here in Connecticut, but see if you can find David’s low-carb bread. But read the label carefully; I don’t remember just what the carb content is. I used to get it in the local supermarket back in the Hudson valley, when I was early on in keto. Nowadays I try to stay far away from the bread aisle, lol! (I miss bread far more than glazed doughnuts, these days. Who’d ever have thought?)

(Eric) #8

If you can do mail order. Hero Bread is quite good.

(Laurie) #9

This doesn’t answer your question, but, Why sandwiches? I used to send my daughter to school with anything but sandwiches.

For low carb you can have boiled eggs, cold meats of various kinds (including chicken legs), shrimp, etc. And maybe a cauliflower salad…

Apologies if you’ve already thought of this.

Arnold makes a keto bread that BJs carries. The other option is gluten free crisp bread that Trader Joe’s carries although that may not be sandwichy enough for a kid but I often eat them with deli or cheese. Also Trader Joe’s carries Ezekial bread fresh not frozen. A family member who is T2 and low carb has a slice with breakfast and as long as it is not the cinnamon raisin he does not spike

I have similar thoughts as @islandlight… And if it’s something like a sandwitch, I am unsure as I never ate such things but wouldn’t work some super thin bread (forgot the term) with more proper stuff in it? I for one never liked sandwitches as there was way too much bread and too little fatty protein in it…
It’s all about your daughter’s preferences, of course… But if I wanted bread, I couldn’t accept anything low-carb as it never is similar to bread to me (okay, I didn’t try many such things but I bake low-carb bread with proper flour in it and it’s still very different from bread. I always felt the carb content of most food items and something not carby is almost never similar to something very carby).
(But even my wheat bread is nothing like a shop-bought one… If someone wants a specific things, it’s basically impossible to substitute and often better to eat something else altogether.)

(Laurie) #12

Yes, you could bake your own bready things too. I used to make flax muffins (no grains) often.

647 Bread all day long! Having my burger on one of their hamburger buns as we speak!

Most stores have them, I usually get mine at either Wally world or Wegmans.

(Linda) #14

Franz makes white keto bread. It’s called Keto. It’s not what you’d call delicious, but it’s a good vehicle for sandwiches. And doesn’t spike my blood sugar. It’s in most stores here in Washington. They also make keto hamburger and hot dog buns.

(FRANK) #15

I have been using Natural Ovens Keto bread & buns. Great products in my mind. You can also order online.

Pretty sure that while the Ezekiel bread might be better in some ways it is virtually the same as whole wheat bread in the carb department—maybe with slightly higher fiber.

(Ohio ) #17

Right. Agreed. I only mentioned because the nutrition appears superior to their competitors and it’s not fortified. It’s not something I consume much at all, but I do keep around.

(GINA ) #18

Other than brands like Wonder, I think bread is a local thing. I live in a crunchy granola town and there are a lot of choices. Costco carries sprouted wheat breads and some labeled ‘keto’ that I haven’t tried. Of the breads NOT labeled ‘keto’ most have more carbs that folks here would likely prefer, but I think they would be fine to bridge a teenager off school cafeteria lunch.

What about a good high-quality sourdough? We have a local one that my T2 DH eats without ill-effect on his BS.

Or wraps? There are low carb tortillas out there that might hold up better to being premade a day or two in advance. Mission is a brand we have here, and there is one called Xtreme Wellness that I have heard good things about.

(GINA ) #19

What grade is she in? In my area, middle and high school kids don’t have lockers anymore so anything they bring to school has to be carried all day long and will be warm by lunchtime (and if they take any type of insulated bag or ice then there is just more to carry). If I was a kid I would be resistant to taking anything I didn’t absolutely have to.

When my kids were that age I just tried to fill them up on good stuff before they left in the morning and had non-perishable snacks they could toss in a backpack pocket like nuts or jerky.

(BuckRimfire) #20

The Sprouts store near me carries Carbonaut. It’s less bland than Franz. Chompies is also pretty good and sometimes at Sprouts but a little sweet and eggy It’s already a step down the road to French Toast.

This guy found Cabonaut to be rather good WRT blood sugar. He’s a Type I who eats stuff and records his CGM output as a self-experiment
https://www.quantifieddiabetes.com/2021/09/low-carb-bread-blood-glucose-testing-of-16-varieties-with-a-few-promising-results.html