Lower carb bread for sandwiches you can get in a real store in the US

(Bob M) #21

Thanks, all.

While cold meats are great for me, there is zero percent chance my kids will eat cold meats at school. At home, they’ll do it. At school, no way.

Even I agree, as trying to pick up meat by itself while talking to other kids will be tough. Covid has been brutal to kids, and having kids do something out of the ordinary was tough before Covid. Getting them to do something like that now is really hard. Two years from now, maybe. Bread at least makes lunch easier. (And even I don’t eat open faced sandwiches anymore, either making a chaffel or eating something else.)

As for sourdough, every holiday, I make sourdough from Einkorn wheat. Causes my blood sugar to explode, verified by CGM. Doesn’t cause as much or any other reaction, unlike other wheat, though. But it also does not make a “light” bread. It also only lasts a few days at most.

And I don’t have time to make bread on the weekend. This past weekend, I had a list of about 7 things I’d like to attempt to do, of which I knew there were a few I wouldn’t have time to do. I did ONE of them. And that doesn’t count the other 30 to 100 items I’d like to do. I have three things that have been on my desk for YEARS that I would like to do but can’t due to a lack of time. On Sundays, I’m already making all my lunches, Sunday’s meal, and 2 extra meals for the week, as we get home so late 2 nights a week, we have to have food we can reheat. I have negative time – I keep adding more to my list, and there’s no way for me to get done what I’d like to get done.

So, I have to buy something.

Would I love for my kids to completely forego all carbs and eat mainly meat? Sure. Will they do it? No. Put it this way: we went to an honor’s society introduction, and afterwards, what did they have to eat for the kids? You guessed it, carbage. Not a single piece of meat to be found.

And that’s normal, for any school event, any birthday, any sleepover, any event at all.

I’ll see if I can look this weekend (have no time until then, and may not have time then) to look at all the suggestions.

I have ordered some Hero bread and will report. I could really use an occasional slice,

(Eric) #23

Curious to hear what you think. I had some friends try it that are not low carb and they were surprised when I told them it was low carb. Not saying it’s gourmet bread, but for what it is, I found it better than the other brands I tried.

I will do a proper review but WOW! The hero bread looks, feels, smells and tastes and toasts like real (good) bread tortillas are amazing

They claim one net carb and my blood glucose didn’t notice anything at all after an hour

(Eric) #25

@Fracmeister I thought the seeded bread was great. It toasts and behaves like real bread. The buns were legit as well. I have tried the tortillas, sliced bread (regular and seeded), burger and hot dog buns. They have brioche buns in the works and I plan to try those as well. Glad the blood glucose didn’t seem to rise either. I have had nothing but good experiences with it so far.

(Laurie) #26

I’m glad you found something decent!

I’d prefer a white bread (or no seeds, at least), but that’s me.

(Eric) #27

They do have a white bread as well. I tried it and found that it was pretty good. Made a nice grilled cheese with it.

(Robin) #28

Can you share the label with ingredients and carbs, etc?
That looks way too good to be true!

Keto purists won’t like the list but here goes:

• Hero Bread™ Sliced White Bread contains the following ingredients: Water, Modified Wheat Starch, Wheat Protein, Canola Oil, Flaxseed, Contains 2% or less of the following: Apple Cider Vinegar, Salt, Yeast, Fava Bean Protein, Guar Gum, Calcium Propionate and Sorbic Acid (to retain freshness), Enzymes, Ascorbic Acid, Sunflower Lecithin.

(Robin) #30

I’m actually relieved. I don’t want those ingredients so I won’t be tempted to try it. I have issues with willpower. Best to just lick the screen rather than sample . Lol

Yes I have mixed feeling about eating wheat as I have a child with Celiac and Hashimotos, both of which say I should be avoiding wheat. I really do not always and I stiffen up in various places when I have wheat but that might be in my head although I am not sure! I do miss grilled cheese sandwiches and the general ease of a sandwich lunch. I get these GF crackers https://www.traderjoes.com/home/products/pdp/gluten-free-norwegian-crispbread-059721 but they are 6 net carbs which I know is not great

I also do a a lot of hydroponic butter lettuce wraps

(KM) #32

We shop at Meijer and hubs usually gets himself the Lewis brand. It’s an absolutely unremarkable commercial white bread. Certainly not my cup of tea, but if you’re a fan of Wonder bread and so on, I don’t think you’d notice the difference. One net carb per slice due to the resistant wheat starch and added fiber.