Low mood

(CyndiL) #1

I posted this question in the Mental Health group but no takers :slight_smile: I am now two months keto and noticing low moods and some anxiety waves, usually in the late afternoon evenings. I am not feeling the ‘keto energy burst’ that I expect to have by now. I eat 20 net carbs but have a hard time meeting my 95 gram protein macro because I IF with two meals a day. I am still waiting for weight loss to happen (although some looser clothes, not much) so I hesitate to raise my carbs (to help with serotonin boosting). Any suggestions? I have a history of mild depression/anxiety so I believe my brain chemicals are generally ‘on the border’ , and the lack of carbs has slowed my serotonin levels.

Any suggestions? Would increasing my protein help ?

(Liz ) #2

I have zero expertise in this topic but I know that my hormones went super weird at the beginning of keto as they adjusted from years of disregulation. My dark moods are definitely hormone related. So what I hope is that the low feelings you are experiencing are temporary. A lot of what happens to me on keto turns out to be a phase as things progress. I hope you can hang in there and find relief soon!

(Donna ) #3

I don’t know if the LC is connected to your depression/anxiety or not, since you have a history of it. Have you taken antidepressants in the past? With winter coming, maybe some SAD is happening.

I take Wellbutrin and love it. I’ve been on it for years, but distinctly remember it was night/day in energy when I went on it. In three days I felt an unbelievable difference. Don’t know if it’s appropriate for you, since you have anxiety. It might make it worse. It definitely gives you more energy.

I’m wondering if daily power walking might help alleviate a couple of problems for you. It might lift your mood and it might help with your weight loss. Are you close to goal? I know it happens much slower when someone only has a few pounds to lose. Are you supplementing with pink salt and potassium?

Maybe it’s time to switch things up? Could your body have become accustomed to the two meals a day? Maybe a 24 or 36 hour fast would help get some movement on the scale and perk you up? Day 2 is harder for me, but by day 3 I’m positively full of energy (as long as I keep my salt and potassium up, and I take magnesium at bedtime.)

Don’t know if any of this helps. Hope you are able to get to feeling better soon! ((hugs))

(CyndiL) #4

Thank you - I am hoping the same thing! It’s another ‘sign’ that things are shifting internally/physiologically. Just like a month ago I had some light hormonal type spotting that was a surprise, since it’s been 2 years since I’ve had a period. (I am 50 years old) The fact that it only happens at the end of the day kind of gives me a clue that it is a hormonal ‘swing’ and perhaps it will regulate itself soon. My body has been through the ringer the last 2 years due to a ‘heart attack’ that turned out to be pancreatitis , and culminating in gallbladder surgery just in April after two years of ‘wierdness’ they couldn’t figure out. So I guess 2 months on keto is just the beginning of healing and ‘resetting’ for me! I’m just ready for the weight drop any time now please haha…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Ninety-five grams of protein seems high. The usual recommendation is around a gram per kilo of lean body mass, so I wouldn’t worry that you’re not managing to eat 95 grams. The key is to make sure your body is getting plenty of energy by eating fat until you’re satisfied.

It can take a while to become really fat-adapted, so you might want to give yourself a bit more time. Try to ignore the scale in the meantime; it just messes with your head. And frankly, I haven’t yet experienced an energy “burst;” it’s more a feeling of solidity, that I can keep going without conking out. I’ll be ready to go to bed, falling asleep even, and still be able to tidy the kitchen, load the dishwasher, and polish the stove before shambling off to the bedroom.

I’ve read contradictory things about carbohydrate and seratonin, so I’m not sure that increasing your carbs would actually help your mood. I’m not saying it wouldn’t, just that I’m not clear that there’s any science behind the stuff I’ve seen. What have you been reading? I’d love to take a look in more depth, since I’m a depressive myself. I’ve had good results from taking antidepressants, but never noticed that eating carbs helped my mood, despite doing a lot of eating for the emotional effect, lol!

(Liz ) #6

You have really been through it! I send hugs. Your body definitely needs time to heal up and Keto is going to let it so that is great you are doing this for yourself. It’s frustrating it all takes so long when you need relief NOW. And yeah, weight loss too, but I bet that is still coming down the line so hang in there.

I wanted to add I also take Milk Thistle for liver support. It really helps me especially if I’m feeling snippy and hostile for no reason. I think my liver needs all the support it can get while Keto gets rid of toxins/hormones trapped in fats. I’m also taking a DIM supplement which is supposed to help metabolize extra estrogen, but I can’t tell if it’s effective. I’m still taking the ProGest cream I started before keto because my monthly depression had gotten life crippling and it really pulled me through. I’m afraid to find out if I still need it so I’ll keep up with it for now.

I’m 48 and have had hormonal acne my whole life, it completely cleared up in the first few months of Keto then came back with a vengeance a few months later so obviously my hormones are still figuring out what’s what. I’m trying to be patient too.

(CyndiL) #7

Thank you for your input. I have had little success with antidepressants because it is such a mild ‘dysthymia’. Lexapro helped with anxiety, but numbed me otherwise. Wellbutrin gave me sinus issues/headache… I stay up on Vitamins D and all the B’s, fish oil etc. I take Dr. Berg’s electrolyte powder and have Magnesium citrate supplements - I think I am all good on supplements. I even take L-Theanine. I am going to try 5HTP before bed for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. My mood normally drops a little this time of year which is when I increase my D3 to 10,000IUs.

I have been doing mostly 18:6 IF, but on workout days I eat three meals. I have done one day of 20:4 and that worked well for me. So maybe I will try a 24 hour fast. Can I have bone broth during the long fasts?

Exercise… I have been doing Orange Theory Fitness classes (HIIT style workouts with strength and cardio for an hour) just twice a week because otherwise it stresses my adrenals and raises cortisol. I took this week off though because of a toe injury. I also run/walk (very slow pace, aerobic zone) 2-3 times a week but have backed off that because of my injury. So my lowered mood could definitely be related to the decrease in exercise. wow… that’s really crazy how much exercise helps! I am running a 5K with my daughter tomorrow and just got a new treadmill so I am going to make it a goal to get on it daily. (I really want to train for a half marathon (my 4th!) in May, but I live in Cleveland and winter running outside is no fun the older I get!)

(CyndiL) #8

I agree on the protein… I just can’t hit it, even if I drink bone broth for an extra 10g. I just eat a normal protein serving of whatever beef, chicken or fish I have for the meal. I eat it intuitively I think, just like fat… I can’t ‘force’ feed it.

I like how you describe the energy as ‘solidity’ - because now that you say that, I totally get that. Even in my higher intensity workouts when I feel like I am tanking, I can still keep going? Without feeling ‘spent’ afterwards, I just feel like I had a great, challenging workout but never feel like ‘I’m gonna die’. I guess that kind of holds true around the house too… I am definitely more productive.

Antidepressants never work well for me other than zapping the anxiety waves. It is all chemical for me… I’m a high functioning ‘not depressed’ person with little stressors. So the past few days of feeling a little ‘off’ actually make me ‘anxious’ haha…

So two months and perhaps I am not fully fat adapted yet? Could this be another wave of keto flu? My blood ketones range from 0.3 to 1.5… I have seen some 2.0+ but not steady. I know the level is not as crucial as simply being IN ketonsis, but I would think I should be adapted by now.

I basically googled ‘low carb diet and serotonin’ and read some conflicting articles… as is usually the case with any subject :slight_smile:

I am going to KCKO, but hoping this is a short term thing. I am fitting better into my ‘last year’s fall clothes’ and I can SEE a visible difference in my belly area… it’s wierdly not translating on the measuring tape points just yet haha. But my clothes are looser. It’s a very slow melt that is for sure .

(CyndiL) #9

I do take the NOW brand Liver Detoxifier & Regenerator. I started with plain milk thistle when gallbladder came out, because in my liver scans, they said I have ‘benign cysts’ (a couple spots). I also take it to help with healthy bile production, along with digestive enzymes. I take so many supplements it is ridiculous really haha… unfortunately they cost more money than prescriptions covered on insurance. How ironic is it that my 3 ‘heart related drugs’ (that I didn’t even NEED) were FREE?

How long have you been Keto?

(Liz ) #10

Oh I know, so much $$. I have been spending less on supplements as my pre keto symptoms have decreased so that’s promising!

I’ve been Low Carb since 2003, a few years of Paleo more recently, and strict Keto since March 8. I lose comparatively slowly, but it’s averaged out to about 5 pounds a month which is fantastic IMO.

(Jo) #11

Just to add to your mix… perhaps try fish oil supplements ?
I’m using a thick and creamy one called Omegalicious, it’s coconut flavoured and tasty, not fishy. My body really seems to crave it, and my brain likes it too. It might help.
I’m a 50ish, perimenopausal, slow weight loser gal myself. I have to say that I wish that I was seeing “faster” results, like many guys seem to get. However I have resigned myself that this is going to be a long term way of life and I just feel better eating this way, and it’s enough for me. Thank you for sharing your experience, it’s really helpful to me that there are women of the same age in the same situation. Best wishes to you.

(Jo) #12

Sorry, I just re read your post and I see that you are already doing fish oils. I missed that one…

(roxanna) #13

My mood has always been managed by intense exercise. I’ve developed plantar fasciitis, so now instead of 4-5 boot camps a week, daily walks, and weekly hikes, I’m doing Barre, Pilates, and yoga. My depression (same low level as you) is rearing it’s ugly head. I don’t like it! If you come up with any ideas let me know.

(Allan L) #14

For me personally, the only time I get that keto energy burst is if I drink coconut oil in my coffee on a morning. Coconut Oil is a MCT fat and goes straight to the liver for processing, its either used up or turned into ketones. This increase in ketones gives me the “burst” of energy I need until late afternoon. I never get this burst / keto clarity / improved mood from normal fats.

The downside to keto coffee (for me anyway) is that it slows weight loss. I try not to add in fat, just eat fatty protein as any added fat will slow my weight loss.

Good luck.

(CyndiL) #15

I had been doing coconut or MCT oil in my coffee but dropped it to reduce fats for hopefully more weight loss. I do use it on days I have my early morning workouts though.

(Liz ) #16

At the start try not to limit fats, you can reduce them later if need be but you need more at the beginning.

First time poster here. My husband did paleo a couple of years ago and I did it with him just as a support, and I completely bottomed out with depression after 1 week because of going without carbs. This time I discovered the need for electrolytes and I’ve been doing keto for 6 weeks with very few problems as I raised my electrolytes a ton! I kept having to adjust them at first but I think I’ve stabilized now.

(CyndiL) #18

Even at two months in? I’m not having any satiety issues at this point…

(Liz ) #19

It’s just my opinion, but yeah. No need to overeat it if you don’t want it. But don’t avoid it hoping to lose weight faster right now. Your body needs it for fuel until it can fully access what’s stored on you.

Be sure your calcium and Omega-3’s are up up. Also, perhaps add some 5-HTP. It’s third on the list for balancing serotonin deficiencies. After that, maybe try Sam-e. I am referencing Dr. Eric Braverman’s book The Edge Effect and balancing the brain’s neurochemicals. It can be tricky for some, but one simple move might work. Good luck.