Low Carb but low in saturated fat?

newbies
vegetables

(Lucy) #1

I want to try out a low carb diet, (not necessarily keto, but at least 100 carbs or less), however I have a few odd stipulations:

1. I want it to be low in animal products. The only animal products I would not mind would be chicken, yogurt, and cheese.

2. I want it to be very low in saturated fats. I do not mind the inclusion of polyunsaturated fats, however.

Any tips, meal ideas, food lists, recommendations, etc?

(Lucy) #2

Bump

(Lesley) #3

There are a lot of low-carb diets out there. Depends what your goals are. My gateway to Keto was the UK TV doctor, Dr.Michael Mosley and his “blood sugar diet”. He doesn’t stipulate a carb limit. Just low carbs. You can google his website. He keeps things very simple.

(Lucy) #4

I will look him up. It’s kinda sad that I really don’t see much information on this kind of low carb diet at all though.

(Lesley) #5

I don’t think there is a ready made diet plan that won’t need modifying to fit with what you want and don’t want. It will be a case of sifting through all the low carb recipe sites to find something to your taste.

With a limit of 100g you could easily eat “normal” meals and just keep your portion sizes down, esp with the carb part. I was experimenting recently to throw myself out of ketosis on purpose and made a risotto for dinner and that with rest of incidental carbs for the day only came to 87g. So there is huge margin there with the amount of carbs you are thinking of consuming. You could easily have a chicken curry with small amount of rice too and it would come in under 100.

(Lucy) #6

True, but low carb is pretty new to me, so I can eat upwards of 350 carbs a day easily on the diet plan I am on now. So I am hoping this will at least be a starter :slight_smile:

(Lesley) #7

It’s a move in the right direction :wink:

(Jacob Wagner) #8

That can certainly be done. I am not sure it is as healthy though. Would you mind telling us why?

–Jacob

(Lucy) #9

Because saturated fat causes heart disease and according to scientific consensus replacing saturated fats for unsaturated fats reduces the risk for cardiovascular events. Here is some evidence in case people start debating:

http://foris.fao.org/preview/25553-0ece4cb94ac52f9a25af77ca5cfba7a8c.pdf

(Jacob Wagner) #10

I won’t debate because I am not that smart. I will say that this is a different conclusion than I have come to for myself.

If you would like to know why (and I get it if you don’t) then please review these:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24723079/

My personal conclusion (for what little that is worth) is that eating saturated fat has no correlation to heart disease or total mortality, while consuming large quantities of polyunsaturated fats will kill me.

–Jacob

(Lucy) #11

Well, one is a blog. The other is a study that has been massively criticized due to its shoddy research and cherry-picking of the data.

I will trust the scientific consensus on the matter.

(Richard Hanson) #12

Hi Luci,

The AHA has had it wrong for decades and I would not accept anything they recommend.

Humans have been eating saturated fats for, well for as long as there have been humans. What we have not been eating are polyunsaturated fats from sources such as soybeans and corn or even monounsaturated fats from olives.

I can not, in good conscience, help anyone eat such fats.

I am, however, happy to recommend a couple of great books:

• The Big Fat Surprise - Nina Teicholz
  • Good Calories, Bad Calories - Gary Taubes

This is not meant as any kind of criticism of you, most certainly not. I was in this same place only a short few months ago and we have been told for a very long time that eating red meat, saturated animal fats, is a very bad idea. There truly is no reason to expect anyone not to believe that this is good advice, but it most certainly is not. Things are starting to change and countries like Sweden are already starting to overturn this long standing and misguided nutritional dogma. What is fantastic is just how much information is now becoming available.

Keto for Life!

Warmest Regards,
Richard

(Richard Hanson) #13

I would ask you not to trust anyone. Instead, I would make an effort to learn more, a lot more.

The American people have been eating what we have been told to eat for decades. Less fat, less animal fats and saturated fat, more fruits, vegetables, grains, and yet it must be obvious to everyone that we, as a people, are getting fatter and sicker. Perhaps instead of trusting scientists, you might consider thinking like a scientist, that is you might start asking questions such as why, if we eat what you tell us to eat, what you tell is is a “healthy” diet, why are we getting sicker?

Knowledge is power but the greatest impediment to gaining knowledge is first unlearning those things we believe that are not true.

Keto for Life!

Richard

(Jacob Wagner) #14

Okay here is my answer to your actual question.

1st, cut out breads, refined sugars, fruit, and pasta.
2nd eat 1-1.5 g of dietary protean for every 1kg of lean body mass

Beyond that, eat enough fat to be satisfied.

Personally I avoid eating vegetables or lean meats without adding fat to them. I do eat allot of chicken, but I add cream and butter to it. One of my favorite snacks recently is brocoli covered in butter and garlic.

If you want polyunsaturated fats then I guess you could use oil from soy, corn, canola, or seeds instead of cream, butter, olive oil, and tallow.

–Jacob

(Lucy) #15

Yeah, I am not going to become a conspiracy theorist just because the scientific consensus goes against my personal worldview. But you do you.

I am not qualified to interpret studies and neither are you, so…

(Doug) #16

Lucy, quoting from the article you linked to:

“One problem is that some researchers might use methodology that is not the best or most current for evaluating effects of dietary fats.”

Agreed. And then right in that same article it says, “In fact, the science says that coconut oil, which has mostly saturated fatty acids, raises your LDL cholesterol, which is linked with increased risk for heart disease.”

The problem here is that that is woefully incomplete, and often simply not true. There is more than one type of LDL cholesterol - there are different particle sizes of it, and that makes a vast difference. To state, in an unqualified manner, that in effect “LDL cholesterol is really bad for you - it raises your risk of heart disease” - no, this very often not true. There is a lot more to it than that.

It’s a great topic - lots for us all to learn, and hopefully - eventually - the medical community will get better at recognizing what all is going on, rather than engaging in excessive over-simplification.

(Richard Hanson) #17

Hi Lucy,

You don’t know me so I am quite certain that you have no idea at all if I am qualified to interpret studies or not. Nor am I asking you to trust my views, or the views of anyone. I am simply asking you to ask intelligent questions, to learn. Think Lucy, think for yourself, else you are just allowing other people to do your thinking for you. I don’t know anyone who is a competent logician that is in any danger of becoming a conspiracy theorist.

Why are you afraid of learning?

Warmest Regards,
Richard

(Lucy) #18

Why are you afraid of being wrong Richard? So tell me, are you a registered dietitian or an active nutrition researcher from a prestigious university? If you are, I can’t find your qualifications online.

So I will stick with what the actual experts say on the topic, and not what someone who is unqualified to interpret studies thinks. I listed at least 4 or 5 organizations who use expert consensus. I think that is all I really need to make an adequate decision on whether or not saturated fat, or bleach, or asbestos, is unhealthy.

(Lesley) #19

All due respect @tnsg you are on a keto forum so not likely to find anyone/many who shares your views on the fats aspect of the diet. Everyone is just trying to be helpful and share what they know.

I wish you all the best in finding the right diet for you.

(Doug) #20

:slightly_smiling_face: Lucy, generalized trust therein is often not rewarded.