Low Carb Brownie/Muffin Recipe (Nut-free & Dairy-free)

Makes 12:

1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
6 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
15 drops liquid stevia (didn’t count drops, I did it to taste)
1.5 tbsp honey (optional, or more stevia)
1/2 cup coconut oil (or butter, ghee, etc)
170 g (6 oz) chocolate, chopped (80-90%)

Preheat oven to 350. Mix the coconut flour, salt and baking soda together until uniform. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, pumpkin puree, stevia and (optional) honey to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. In a separate bowl, melt the coconut oil until very hot, then add the chopped chocolate and stir until melted. Add the chocolate mixture to the other mixture and whisk well. Add mixture to lined muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes. Let cool.

I find these taste like a brownie when cold from the fridge, but more like a muffin when warmer. They also taste good cut in half with butter on them.

(Jane) #2

I put it into Chronometer and came up with 7 net carbs per muffin (11 g total carbs). Seems pretty “expensive” for one muffin to me.

If you drop the honey then 9 g total carbs, 5 g net for one muffin. Since you aren’t feeding yeast and you are already using artifical sweeteners I’m not sure why you would add honey.

I add honey because I’m not strictly keto and it helps cut that stevia taste, but it is completely optional. You could probably cut through the stevia with a bit of erythritol instead, but I avoid erythritol. To make these lower in carbs, you could substitue the dark chocolate with sugar free chocolate, and perhaps substitue the pumpkin puree with zucchini or maybe half of it with some sort of fat.